The budget

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Top rate roadtax going up to £400
Anyone any idea what CO2 rating/s this covers though ?
Will 3.2 owners have an itchy sphincter ?
I think the top rate (band G) only applies to cars registered after March 2006 though.

Fuel up 2p a litre too.

Pretty sure it only applies to cars registered after March 2006 though eh ?
Anyone selling a nearly new 3.2 will be groaning...

Top band - 225g plus I think. Not bothered really - price for enjoying my car. 2p per mile extra over a year of motoring for me. Just have to try harder so I get an extra 2p worth of enjoyment out of each mile. The fuel will cost me about £30 per year extra (9000 miles)

Nothing said in report about only new cars (ref Bowfer) although I thought this was reported as being the case the other day in speculation.

Band G goes to £300 for 2007-2008 then £400 from 2008. Effect takes place from tomorrow.

Band B drops from £50 to £35

C-E goes +£5

Band F +£10 then +£5

This will make the resale value of 2.0T (and similar) cars plummet !

I took the info direct from the Budget report transcript, which didn't mention dates in the main text from what I could see.

However, reading this looks like you are right which explains why my Sept 2005 registered car is "only" £190 at the moment, not £210.

Therefore, it will only be cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006 will be classed as Band G if over 225g and therefore pay £300 per year from tomorrow and then £400 from 2008. My 3.2 stays at Band F rates as over 185g so will rise by only £10 this year and then £5 from then on.

More than happy to be corrected on this though!

Thanks for the clarity anyway Gordon.

Click below to see the figures from the latest Audi A3 Price and Specifications brochure...

co2.doc

emzino said:
How much does the 2.0TDI 140 produce?

Depends when registered.
My 2005 model is 157 g/km.
The new ones produce around 151 g/km.
They aren't actually any more efficient,just Audi say they've found a better way of calculating it.

Interesting that the the 2.0T is 1g over the Band F limit, but the S-tronic is 1g under.

****** !

My 140TDI Sportback is 149g/km (6sp manual) - just inside group C. I think the DSG is 151g/km - which is group D. I think the 3door is 1 or 2 g's less than the sportback.

Yeah,sorry,the 2.0tdi figures I quoted were for the DSG sportback.

bowfer said:
Woohoo,that's the wife's car !
When does this take effect,as it's due it's roadtax end of April ?

Bowfer you're displaying all the signs of a 'fiscally prudent' Scot getting excited about a measly £15 saving (that's an extra £1.25 in your pocket each month).

Cue the rant....! :moa:

Tim Stuart said:
Bowfer you're displaying all the signs of a 'fiscally prudent' Scot getting excited about a measly £15 saving (that's an extra £1.25 in your pocket each month).

Cue the rant....! :moa:

Hey,I reserve the right to clutch at any decreases in this ludicrously expensive country ;-)

We can't believe how cheap her car is to run.
It's been 100% reliable (nearly 1 year old now).
It does the high 50's mpg (drifts into 60's on a long run)
It costs £35 a year roadtax.
Insurance is £129 a year,fully comp.

It really has proven to be the ideal second-car.

mfspen said:
This will make the resale value of 2.0T (and similar) cars plummet !

Why, 20T, S3 are only in band F, cars in Band G are 3.2,S4,RS4 etc. Shouldn't effect them at all, infact may have the opposite.

Unless I have missed something.

Mark

Try this... linky. Budget calculator from the Beeb.

Apparently, according to that I'll be £37 better off next year! :moa:

joost said:
Try this... linky. Budget calculator from the Beeb.

Apparently, according to that I'll be £37 better off next year! :moa:

I saw that calculator earlier,it's excellent.
Around £121 a year better off for me.
Plus the £15 less for the wife's roadtax of course...

;-)

Just want to clarify, the :moa: was at Brown, not to anyone on here!!

The hike in the 40% tax threshold in 2 years time stands to halve my company car tax!

Now this has to be a first: A DSG owner thanking Bowfer ;)

But seriously,
a) I'd forgotten to renew my tax
b) I'd forgotten it was the budget today
c) The 3.2 DSG is in band G

I've just phoned up to renew and was charged £210, so I think Bowfer's reminder has saved me £90 over doing it tomorrow or later.

Unfortunately there'll be no escape from the £400 charge in a year's time.

markwiggy said:
Why, 20T, S3 are only in band F, cars in Band G are 3.2,S4,RS4 etc. Shouldn't effect them at all, infact may have the opposite.

Unless I have missed something.

Mark
Well, the resale value of the 2.0T is already dire compared to the diesels (don't know about the S3), so the increase for Band F could be another nail in it's coffin.

I'm £61.77 worse off. What's really ironic is that Brown said he would help working families (I'm married with a six-month old son, wife yet to finish her one year maternity leave). I'm gonna be £51 better off in Income Tax, but then £109 worse off with National Insurance.

"What they give with one hand, they take with the other..."

mfspen said:
Well, the resale value of the 2.0T is already dire compared to the diesels (don't know about the S3), so the increase for Band F could be another nail in it's coffin.

The increase for band F is only £15 per annum or £1.25 per month hardly think this will stop people buying them or have a negative effect on their value. On the other hand people who may buy a 3.2 S4 or RS4 may not want to pay £400 per annum road tax and therefore purchase the next option ie 20T,S3 etc therefore increasing demand and in the long run making the car more desirable as a cheaper to run option.
Diesels will alway have a higher residual due to the lower tax and higher fuel economy, so not really fare to compare. Ownership is purely down to preference diesel or petrol. That old chestnut !!!

Mark

Haven't seen the Budget yet,,,,,, but I already know that anything coming out of that miserable f*cking, commie, windbags, pox infested gob, ain't gonna be good news for me..........

I'm £98 per year worse off. Then again, I do like a smoke and a drink :D

markwiggy said:
The increase for band F is only £15 per annum or £1.25 per month hardly think this will stop people buying them or have a negative effect on their value. On the other hand people who may buy a 3.2 S4 or RS4 may not want to pay £400 per annum road tax and therefore purchase the next option ie 20T,S3 etc therefore increasing demand and in the long run making the car more desirable as a cheaper to run option.
Diesels will alway have a higher residual due to the lower tax and higher fuel economy, so not really fare to compare. Ownership is purely down to preference diesel or petrol. That old chestnut !!!

Mark

I think you will be OK with your S3 because of the exclusivity. But my 2.oT has dropped £6k in just 6 months !

Damn road tax! I don't mind paying my taxes at all but I would like to see the money I pay applied to benefit roads, signs, etc, etc. Every year we pay more and more taxes and everything remains the same....

It's like the flights green tax... what a bag off rubish!!!

Pedro

mfspen said:
But my 2.oT has dropped £6k in just 6 months !

That does seem alot, is that from new, if so its depreciation will probably slow down a bit as the VAT is a big lump you lose immediately. I lost 7-8K on my 20T over 18months. I wouldn't worry to much.

Mark

are the VED bands still split into 2 - diesel and petrol? That new list someone posted earlier says band D will now be £125 and it is currently £135 for diesel (but in the list it lists a diesel as one of the examples a passet 1.9tdi i think? So i'm a tenner better off then it seems which should cover the 2p increase in fuel nicely!

Actually I am ok on th car tax front, mines only a band F so only a £15 increase which I can live with.

According to that online calculator I am £264 a year worse off. Not the end of the world