Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    rxs1407's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    106

    A3 140 S Line TDI STronic

    New to the forum and new to Audi's also this is my first dielsel..
    So the car i bought is a demo with 0 miles, my question is how do i run the thing in??? Fast slow or normal driving??

    Do i need to worry if only going to keep it for 3 years?? will it affect mpg??

    Any views or thoughts??
    Thanks Dodge
    Last edited by rxs1407; 19th March 2007 at 21:40.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    alanjonesbath's Avatar
    VAGOwners.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    188
    Everyone will have their own opinion on this one, what you do is down to you. Personally, when I run in a car I don't hold back. All I do is make sure the engine oil is up to temp (about 20 minutes of steady driving is fine), then I'll just drive it like normal, including fast sprints etc. The only thing I won't do is use full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time.
    Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TDi DSG in Dolphin Grey - Click here for pics
    Leather Seats - Symphony III - Full Leather - Light/Rain Sensors - Cruise Control - Storage/Luggage Packs - Electric folding/auto diming mirrors - Parking Sensors - Armrest

  4. #3
    rxs1407's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    106
    Thanks, is it an old wife's tale, if you drive is fast when running in the car is quick after???


    Do the diesel's burn oil?? do i need to buy some for the garage??
    Thanks..
    Last edited by rxs1407; 19th March 2007 at 21:59.

  5. #4
    icenutter's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    595
    Some peoples engines burn a lot of oil, others virtually none. I've read about people getting through 1l/1000miles! But I guess that's a bit of internet bravado (my car's faster than your car etc).

  6. #5
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,620
    I ran mine in fairly hard, making sure the engine was fully warm (engine oil temp on DIS is handy for this) and then making sure I loaded the engine a fair bit.

    So far it's not used a drop of oil in 3000+ miles.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  7. #6
    alanjonesbath's Avatar
    VAGOwners.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    188
    Which reminds me, I need to check the oil level on mine, see if its dropped at all.
    Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TDi DSG in Dolphin Grey - Click here for pics
    Leather Seats - Symphony III - Full Leather - Light/Rain Sensors - Cruise Control - Storage/Luggage Packs - Electric folding/auto diming mirrors - Parking Sensors - Armrest

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246
    TDi 170 .......... 0.75litres of oil used in 9500 miles.

    Run in proceedure for me was to drive it normally, which included the odd bit of spirited driving. Dealers advice was that there was no run in proceedure for the diesels and to just drive them normaly.

    Enjoy your car!!!

  9. #8
    rxs1407's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    106
    Thanks guys, i'll buy a small amount of oil and keep it in the garage..
    So normal driving with some racing, sounds like fun..

    I hate waiting for anything, and this is killing me, i want the new motor......

    Just need to find an arm rest now.....
    Thanks again...

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by rxs1407
    Thanks guys, i'll buy a small amount of oil and keep it in the garage..
    So normal driving with some racing, sounds like fun..

    I hate waiting for anything, and this is killing me, i want the new motor......

    Just need to find an arm rest now.....
    Thanks again...
    The oil is a VERY specific type if you are on the variable service schedule.

    You should get a free litre of oil in a nifty black pouch which also has funnels and gloves inside. The pouch has velcro on the back so it sticks to the side of the boot!!

    Halfords sell the right oil (SLX III) which is 14.99 a litre and comes in a fancy gold plastic bottle.

  11. #10
    rxs1407's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    106
    This is getting better all the time!!!!
    So anything that is bad about the new motor??? Anything i should get for it??

    Another questions is the light bulbs, i've read various posts on bulbs being bad, does this include the 2007 models??

    Thanks

  12. #11
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by icenutter
    Some peoples engines burn a lot of oil, others virtually none. I've read about people getting through 1l/1000miles! But I guess that's a bit of internet bravado (my car's faster than your car etc).
    Internet bravado ?
    Look at the manual.
    Audi themselves state that sort of consumption is 'within tolerances',which is why the likes of me (roughly 1500 miles to a litre) get no joy from the dealer.

    "s'normal mate...Audi says"
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  13. #12
    alanjonesbath's Avatar
    VAGOwners.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by rxs1407
    Another questions is the light bulbs, i've read various posts on bulbs being bad, does this include the 2007 models??

    Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with the lights, it's just the usual everyone wants something better than what they've got syndrome. As headlights go, I can't say the lights on my A3 are any worse or any better than any other car I've owned. I'm fitting a set of Philips X-treme +80% bulbs this week, but if you've been happy with the lights on your previous cars, then I doubt you'll notice anything different on the A3.
    Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TDi DSG in Dolphin Grey - Click here for pics
    Leather Seats - Symphony III - Full Leather - Light/Rain Sensors - Cruise Control - Storage/Luggage Packs - Electric folding/auto diming mirrors - Parking Sensors - Armrest

  14. #13
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjonesbath
    There's nothing wrong with the lights, it's just the usual everyone wants something better than what they've got syndrome. As headlights go, I can't say the lights on my A3 are any worse or any better than any other car I've owned. I'm fitting a set of Philips X-treme +80% bulbs this week, but if you've been happy with the lights on your previous cars, then I doubt you'll notice anything different on the A3.
    Again,I disagree (sorry)
    The standard lights are woeful.
    I would say 80% of my driving is on unlit roads,so I notice these things.
    They suffer from a very sharp cut off on dip,which means that on standard settings the dip beam goes maybe 30-40 feet in front of the car,then complete darkness.
    No other car I've had has suffered from such a marked cut off.
    Changing the bulbs doesn't do anything to help this,so you have to adjust the lights using the white knobs under the bonnet.
    Unfortunately,once you adjust the levels to improve the distance of the beam,you notice the brightness is a bit lacking,so you fit brighter bulbs.
    In my experience,brighter bulbs on their own are a waste of time.
    They have to be combined with fiddling with the levels,which can be done in under 10 minutes in any dark,level car park.

    Or get xenons.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  15. #14
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    They suffer from a very sharp cut off on dip,which means that on standard settings the dip beam goes maybe 30-40 feet in front of the car,then complete darkness.
    Isn't this the result of a new(ish) European directive ?

    I've noticed on my current and previous car, the beam pattern has changed from how it used to be. The triangular wedge of light to the left when dipped has now been drastically curtailed.

  16. #15
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Isn't this the result of a new(ish) European directive ?

    I've noticed on my current and previous car, the beam pattern has changed from how it used to be. The triangular wedge of light to the left when dipped has now been drastically curtailed.
    Dunno,but my wife's Clio (06 plate) doesn't suffer from it.
    The dip in her car goes miles further than my A3 does,even though I've adjusted the lights.
    I can't go any further,otherwise main beam could guide planes down.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  17. #16
    icenutter's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Internet bravado ?
    Look at the manual.
    Audi themselves state that sort of consumption is 'within tolerances',which is why the likes of me (roughly 1500 miles to a litre) get no joy from the dealer.

    "s'normal mate...Audi says"
    I have a little theory for the extended service intervals. You design the engine to use lots of oil; then the oil is fresher as you keep having to top it up - by the time a service is due almost all of it has changed. Raise the cost of oil to 15 a liter. Everyones a winner!

    I'll get back to my wearing my tinfoil hat...

  18. #17
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quick note regarding the cost of the oil.
    Every one of our fleet 2.0tdi's (VW and Audi) use oil,so we bought a 25L drum of the correct spec from Millers Oils.
    Aside from the convenience,compared with having to go the local dealer all the time,it's cheaper too.
    It works out at £10 a litre,roughly.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  19. #18
    rxs1407's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    106
    Which bulbs do you all go for???
    The Phillips ones seem popular..

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO