Centre Console Struts / Handles

Mr_P

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here.

Just spent the weekend with a Sportback 2.0TFSI FWD DSG S-Line (RHD) loan from dealers to help decide whether I'm going to take the plunge.

After trying the S-Line as a back seat passenger I'm likely to go for the Sport (despite the pride-inducing loveliness of the S-Line), if only out of respect for my aging parents :ermm: who I occasionally ferry around.

Still undecided about the DSG, seems to have its pros+cons - when I return the motor tomorrow am hoping to re-test a manual to see if I start to miss the paddles. Always assumed manual was for me, but having seen so much praise on a user review column (although primarily TDI owners were responding) I thought I shouldn't dismiss it completely. Any link to a good discussion about it on this board, someone can chuck my way? TIA.

Got to have FWD because it turns out I will need the extra litreage of bootspace.

Anyway sorry I digress ... my main purpose of posting, which may seem trivial to some, is about those darn struts either side of the gearbox. Being 6ft tall, it seems that whatever my seat position, with left leg rested on the 'dead pedal', the bony bit on the side of my left knee rubs against the hole formed by the strut across the centre console. Something I noticed on the 1st test a few wks ago.

Have toyed with the less than elegant option of tying a cloth (or similar) around it to provide a cushion for the kneebone. Obviously I don't really want to wear a kneepad! The only other radical thought was to see if I could get it removed, but then I imagine the console might look 'broken' or vandalised without it!

Anyone else notice / suffer with this??

It could even be a dealbreaker for me :crying:

I must admit I don't have the problem but the previous to current version of the Audi TT had some padding units attached to the struts. They may be of some help.

click HERE to see a diagram showing the struts in the TT. They are part 25 on the diagram.

After that weekend at the 'ring I had a bruise on my leg caused by that strut!

Having had the struts replaced on delivery because they were marked, they can def be removed but I don't know what it would look like without them?

Mr_P said:
Still undecided about the DSG, seems to have its pros+cons - when I return the motor tomorrow am hoping to re-test a manual to see if I start to miss the paddles. Always assumed manual was for me, but having seen so much praise on a user review column (although primarily TDI owners were responding) I thought I shouldn't dismiss it completely. Any link to a good discussion about it on this board, someone can chuck my way? TIA.

I'll save you the bother and give you a quick resume of everyone's thoughts on DSG,gathered over 2 years of 'debate'.

1/ I am the resident DSG hater,I think it sucks BIG TIME.
2/ Some like it,but are aware of it's foibles and limitations.
3/ Some love it and don't acknowledge any foibles or limitations at all.

You can only make up your own mind,but I will warn you that even an extended test drive is unlikely to show up it's foibles.
It took weeks/months for the little niggly things about it to eat away at me,to the point where I started hating it.
If you've already found any 'niggly' things about it,walk away.
Believe me,any niggles you find will simply multiply with time.

I'll give you a test to try on your next test-drive.
Try pulling away quickly from a junction/roundabout.
See that 'delay' you get ?
You have a think about whether you could live with that.

I didn't have the 'luxury' of a test drive in a DSG car,so I fell for the hype and ordered it based on press blurb.
Worst car-based decision I've ever made,bar none.

bowfer said:
Don't all automatics do the same though? Just like it took me a little while to get used to driving a turbo diesel after years of driving an n/a petrol, it took me a little while to get used to driving the DSG, but now I have, I find it fine, certainly nicer than other autos I've driven, but of course lacks the manual control. At the end of the day, its an auto. If you want a manual gearbox, you don't buy and auto and so don't buy a DSG. No matter what car you drive, you adapt your driving to suit. If you learn that your car has a delay when pulling away, then you adapt your driving to cope surely?

bowfer said:
..... You can only make up your own mind,but I will warn you that even an extended test drive is unlikely to show up it's foibles.
It took weeks/months for the little niggly things about it to eat away at me,to the point where I started hating it....
I tend to agree with Bowfer on this one.

I've only ever driven a DSG equipped A3 once, and that was enough !
I wanted to test a 2.0T A3, and my dealer only had a DSG version available at the time. He gave me the keys, and off I went. Err, well actually, off I stayed put !

It was totally bizarre. I put it in 'D' and gingerly pressed the throttle. Nothing happened, engine still at idle. Pressed it a bit more, still nothing. Throttle now all the way to the floor, engine still idling, and car stationary ! It would have stayed in this 'latched up' mode all day.

Taking my foot off the throttle, then back on again, it pulled away normally, just like any other 'auto'. Several times during my test drive, it went into the same strange mode - two stabs at the throttle required to get it's **** into gear. There is obviously a fault with the DSG algorithm, and I can't understand why Audi don't fix it !

alanjonesbath said:
If you learn that your car has a delay when pulling away, then you adapt your driving to cope surely?

If by 'adapt' you mean 'don't bother going for gaps I would in a manual',then yes I have 'adapted'.
Depends on whether you think you should have to adapt,especially in a gearbox that is (or was prior to it's rejection from the S3) sold as a 'performance' gearbox.
If the delay was peculiar to auto mode (D),then it would be bareable.
It's there in any mode though,even pseudo-manual.

That was just an example of one of it's foibles.
There are many others,like the auto change up at high revs,or the embarrassingly long time it takes to go from forward to reverse,making you look like a carpark spaz.

Its odd really, as initially I was expecting the DSG issues that others mention but I haven't really experienced them except one slight hesitation on pull away. Having lived with the car now for 13k miles since last August I love the TDi DSG and even more so since having the Superchips Bluefin installed last Friday. I tend to select Sport or use the paddles when requiring a faster get away but honestly can't see any real issues. Wheelspins the biggest issue I find but some better tyres than the Maxxis the dealer fitted may cure this problem!

Just to give the other side of the 'argument'. I am now on my second DSG equipped car. My first was an A3 2.0TDI-140 which I had for 32 months and 36k miles and my current one is an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 with currently only 855 miles on the clock.

I drive almost exclusively on 'manual-mode' and quite frequently nip out at roundabouts and junctions and do not experience the 'delay' mentioned by others. I accept that some people seem to experience some delay, especially in D mode, but personally I don't. Whenever I stop and the DSG engages 1st gear I release the foot brake just enough to allow the car to 'creep' very slightly and as soon as I apply pressure to throttle pedal, away it goes with no hestitation. I have also found that applying steady, smooth pressure to the throttle gives a better result than putting my foot to the floor in a kind a stab movement. Doing it the way I do the engine is at 4200 and auto-changing up to second in a second or so and similarly up to 3rd. After that I generally handle the changes with the paddles.

I know some people love the DSG and some don't but again personally, having previously had 19 cars with manual gearboxes I would not want another. My car went back to the dealers last week to have the DIS computer sorted and they loaned me an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI similar to mine but with a manual gearbox. I was very glad to give it back and get into my DSG equipped A3 again.

Without wishing to get involved in this debate all over again (my views have been expounded here already), I was interested to note in the latest issue that Evo aren't that impressed with DSG either and this is coming from an "enthusiast" publication.

I don't think there are many proffessional enthusiasts that like autos flappy paddles or not. Just look at Jeremy Clarkson lol Although he did like it on the Enzo

Without wishing to get involved in this debate all over again (my views have been expounded here already), I was interested to note in the latest issue that Evo aren't that impressed with DSG either and this is coming from an "enthusiast" publication.

Yes but most so called "enthusiast" publications refer rear-wheel drive as well.

h5djr said:
I have also found that applying steady, smooth pressure to the throttle gives a better result than putting my foot to the floor in a kind a stab movement.

Come on David,make your mind up ;-)
Does the delay exist,in which case your technique improves matters,or does the delay not exist,in which case your technique shouldn't matter ?

Anyway,the 'DSG delay' very definitely does exist and I would guess this is why they haven't deemed it suitable for the S3.
It evidently cannot be made to give the sort of throttle response an 'aggressive' (for want of a better word) driver wants.

Come on David,make your mind up ;-)
Does the delay exist,in which case your technique improves matters,or does the delay not exist,in which case your technique shouldn't matter ?

You may say it exists, I couldn't possibly comment!

No seriously, as I said some people seem to experience a delay. Personally I don't. Whether that's because I've modified my driving technique or not I don't know and to be honest I don't really care. It's the same as I've modified my drving technique to suit a TDI as opposed to a normal or turbo petrol engine. The better response by smooth application of the throttle is much more to do with getting the turbo spinning up quickly thus aiding acceleration. As you've said it should be easy for someone to try a DSG and see if they like it or not. If they do, then specify one, if they don't then don't.

We will always differ about the DSG - you hate it as much as I now hate a manual gearbox and love driving with a DSG. Let's just leave it at that.

bowfer said:
Anyway,the 'DSG delay' very definitely does exist and I would guess this is why they haven't deemed it suitable for the S3.
It evidently cannot be made to give the sort of throttle response an 'aggressive' (for want of a better word) driver wants.

I think that some of the problem lies in the way DSG is marketed/publicised as though it were a clutchless manual gearbox (sporty) rather than an automatic without a torque convertor (little old ladies for the use of). We chose it because my wife prefers autos as she mainly does commuting/urban where D is all you need. I get into it as a predominantly manual gearbox user and I do initially notice the delay but I suppose I make subconscious adjustments for it because after a short time, it's OK. TBH in our previous autos, I didn't notice a similar delay and I suspect the reason is something to do with the fact that the torque converter loads up against the brakes more than the DSG so if you're on the accelerator slightly before you release the brakes, away you go! What is clear is that the fuel consumption 'penalty' for choosing DSG is very small compared to a 'real' automatic.

IN-A3 said:
Question! Why is the "+" and "-" the wrong way round on the centre console
Which "+" and "-" is this, the fan speed controls? If so then they're the right way round as far as I'm concerned, "-" on the left and "+" on the right, or are you on about something else?

I think he means the 'tiptronic' + and - gear change...

mmmmm DSG...........

like most women say, there is no subistute for a good old knob.............

I think he means the 'tiptronic' + and - gear change...

Perhaps he means the fact the you push the centre lever forward to change up and back to change down. Perfectly logical to me, but I know some people think it should be the other way round.

like most women say, there is no subistute for a good old knob.............

Personally I know several women who would disagree with that statement.... much preferring the delicate use of fingers!

rowansbank said:
I think that some of the problem lies in the way DSG is marketed/publicised as though it were a clutchless manual gearbox (sporty) rather than an automatic without a torque convertor (little old ladies for the use of).
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I guess those of us who bought the DSG as an automatic are happy with it, whereas those who bought it as a manual aren't. We went for the DSG as my wife hates manuals, but I didn't want an auto because they are slower than the manual equivalent and use more fuel. The DSG got around both of these, being quicker 0-60 than the manual (or at least it is according to the specs), and gives very similar fuel economy to the manual. I didn't buy it in the hope that it would have all the feel of a manual, and all the control of a manual, I bought it accepting its an automatic and therefore would do what it wanted, when it wanted.

As for the delay thing that keeps getting done to death (so why not have another post that mentions it ;) ), of course it has a delay when pulling away, and you adapt to cope with that. I can pull out at a junction or roundabout into exactly the same gap I would have in a manual. I can't honestly say there has been a time when I've said to myself "no, i'm not going for that gap because I've got a DSG".

alanjonesbath said:
I can't honestly say there has been a time when I've said to myself "no, i'm not going for that gap because I've got a DSG".

You're lucky,I get it every morning.
I daren't try and go for gaps I used to in my manual because I know the delay between pressing the throttle and the car responding will lead to at worst a heart-mouth-moment or,at best,the driver that has had to brake for me thinking I'm a pillock.

It also happens when people unexpectedly flash you out of junctons.
Press the throttle = delay = person that has flashed you out thinking you're a complete idiot of a driver.

I've never shouted "COME ON FOR EFF'S SAKE !" before at a car,but it's a common occurrence since DSG.

I do agree that the way Audi marketed the gearbox is at fault though.It was very firmly marketed as a 'sporty' gearbox when I ordered the car,with the onus being on 'manual' driving and the auto function being secondary.

Audi have evidently done a U-turn on this,hence it's omission from the S3.