tdi 140 Bluefin? or not?

rosscotdi

Reaction score
Alright,
Needing some help!
I'm looking at Bluefin for my 140 tdi but im just not too sure!
I've nearly got the funds and i like the fact that i can remove the tunning for trips to the dealers... ... so what is the verdict from other 140tdi bluefin users?
Any mpg gains/loses??
And i would hope at 600 quid there would be noticable torque/bhp?

Thanks in advance

I had mine done about 6 weeks ago, well happy with it.
Drives a lot better than before and i havent noticed any mpg losses..
Mine is a DSG
Superchips Read-out
Power...
Superchips Max 177 BHP @ 3860 Rpm
Original Max 147 BHP @ 3733 Rpm

Torque...
Superchips Max 382 Nm @ 2195 Rpm
Original Max 328 Nm @ 2277 Rpm

Beddies Manual 140 Max 191, he will post when he sees this thread.
Very pleased with mine.

Yep its a must have!

I turned mine back to take it to service and i'd forgotten how "slow" it was :)

curley said:
Beddies Manual 140 Max 191

Ahem... 192bhp... that extra 1bhp makes all the difference i'll have you know lol! :p

I had my manual 140PD Bluefinned at the same time as Curley at the Superchips RR day and absolutely love it!!

Makes the car sooo much better drive, in fact it's just like the standard power delivery only a lot smoother with around 33% more power all through the rev range and the torque now comes in with a much more pronouced 'kick' much like my old 1.9PD 130 Bora did, this 'kick' was missing from the standard 140 and made it feel initially slower than my old 130 imo... It's not now though!! :icon_thumright:
The car now revs much more freely and chases the redline in an almost petrol manner and 3rd gear is the overtaking weapon of choice...
MPG has not been affected imo and coming home from the Ultimate Dubs show last sunday at a steady 100 (kph of course) still gave 52mpg at the end of my 70 mile trip

Can't think of any downsides tbh mate, the car now goes like it should have done from the factory in the first place imo, MPG is still excellent, my wife drives it 'chipped' every day to work and it's still as docile as you like if you want to potter about and my insurance company covered it free of charge :icon_thumright:

All in all mate, it'll transform the car and is worth every penny and if you mention www.uk-mkivs.net you should get some forum discount!

My figures:

Standard: 153BHP @ 4157rpm 337nm @ 2443rpm
Bluefin: 192BHP @ 3947rpm 406nm @ 2169rpm

Is it possible to Bluefin the 170TDI? I have been looking diesel option for a while and this sounds like good plan. Are you TDI's quattro'd? How do they get on at low speeds under hard acceleration? Also do the standard clutches hold up?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Iain

Whats all this bluefin lark, and will it work on my 130PD?

****** diesels!.... I think I have to Bluefin my S3 to 306hp!! 265bhp do not seem enough... After all I paid premium price for my S3, I do not want the "cheap" TDIs to give me a hard time... :) :)

Pedro

P.S.: Enjoy your drives guys!

I have some questions as well please hehe.

1) Does the standard clutch handle the extra power? (as asked by macdoug).
2) Will I be able to take it to the dealers for a service or anything after its Bluefinned?
3) Is it better to get custom code done with rolling road?

Just received in the post today my Bluefin, downloaded the map but haven't managed to upload to Superchip yet, maybe the server is down in the evening? Like the others mine is TDi 140 DSG so really looking forward to some great improvements although I must say I dont think the car is that bad in standard form, I paid £530 by mentioning this forum. My insurance company didn't charge me any extra either.

macdoug said:
Is it possible to Bluefin the 170TDI? I have been looking diesel option for a while and this sounds like good plan. Are you TDI's quattro'd? How do they get on at low speeds under hard acceleration? Also do the standard clutches hold up?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Iain

It is possible to Bluefin the 170 and the results were pretty startling... Superchips got 234BHP from their Seat Leon FR 170! :ohmy:

However, Superchips along with all the other major 'chipping' players have recently withdrawn the 170 mapping due to problems highlighted with the 170's unique DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), apparently the filters are becoming blocked and in some cases melting due to the extra fuel/soot that comes with extra power..
They are working on this problem and hope to have the 170 mapping available soon..

It'll be a ****** monster when sorted imo, 170 quattro with around 230bhp/320lb/ft and 45mpg, what more do you need :icon_thumright:

My A3 is non-quattro but handles the extra grunt fine tbh, there's been a few 3rd gear wheelspin moments in the wet when quattro would have been a big help but overall i quite like the challenge of a lively FWD car :laugh:

2,000 miles since being bluefinned and the clutch is ok thus far, time will tell i suppose but should be fine...i hope..lol! :laugh:

Nelson_Wilbury said:
Do Bluefined DSG's have to run less BHP then? Why is a manual running 192 and a DSG only 177?

Superchips do like to run a slightly less 'aggresive' map on the DSG's due to the torque handling limitations of the DSG box iirc..

Imo though, the difference in figures between my car and Curley's has more to do with the way that the RR measures the coastdown losses on an Automatic car as their seems no real discernable difference in 'on the road' performance between our cars that the RR figures might otherwise suggest

This was of course tested scientifically on the M6 on the way back from the Superchips day... :cool:

emzino said:
I have some questions as well please hehe.

1) Does the standard clutch handle the extra power? (as asked by macdoug).
It's been fine so far mate, including some very cold temperatures which is usually the test for your clutch as my PD130 used to have clutch slip on high gears on cold days until she had warmed up, fingers crossed it'll hold up fine but the map can be modified over the net by Bluefin should you have problems down the line i.e. they can reduce the torque output to be a little kinder on a worn/old clutch..

2) Will I be able to take it to the dealers for a service or anything after its Bluefinned?
Yes you will, if it's out of Audi warranty just leave the Bluefin switched on and let the Audi Tech really enjoy the test drive lol!
If it's still in warranty, switch it off before going to the dealers..
The map traces can be found if someone with the right equipment and know-how wanted to, but superchips include a warranty with the Bluefin that covers any parts that fail that Audi will not cover due to the car being chipped.. :icon_thumright:

3) Is it better to get custom code done with rolling road?
Custom code is a great product mate and a truly 'custom' map that is developed for your car will always be better than a generic code, but i'm absolutely over the moon with the Bluefin and felt that the inclusion of the handset, warranty and lower price than custom code was the right choice for me personally.. :happy:

HTH

Beddie said:
This was of course tested scientifically on the M6 on the way back from the Superchips day... :cool:

:wtf: Who said anything about "scientifically testing" :)
I was just putting the foot to the floor with my blood shot eyes trying to beat yeah :)

All this talk of bluefin, extra bhp, torque etc is getting on my nerves !!!!!!
I want one !!!! Now !!!! aaaarrrggghhhh !!!! :keule:

Standard car is great, but cant see how i can go on without this extra power in my life......need some spare cash pronto so i can get it sorted.

****** cost of motorbike repairs has pretty much cleaned me out.
And just to put the boot in, i had my insurance renewal quote for the bike through this morning, yet another kick in the nachos. So now i wont have any spare cash for next 2 mths at least....then summer is here so extra petrol money needed for the bike. Worse still the car will feel even slower once im back on the bike......aaarrrgghhh. Wish somebody would report thats its a rubbish waste of money or something !!!
Cant see me being able to afford it for months yet. :crying:

Need to get my pimpin hat on to get some more money and while im at it start selling some crack on street corners or something.......despertate time call for desperate measures......:think: :detective2: :eyebrows:

Do you think you really need to unmap before taking it to the dealers?

I've been toying with the idea for a while and saving at the same time.

wilko said:
Do you think you really need to unmap before taking it to the dealers?

I've been toying with the idea for a while and saving at the same time.

If your car is still under warranty, then it's best not to take any risks. If they find out its bluefinned either by reading ecu or test driving it, they they might not cover it.

Oh right... I guess you have the best of both worlds with the bluefin - being able to map and remap when ever you like.

Does it increase people insurance by much??

emzino said:
Mine was in yesterday. I never took the map off and they never said a word. And I know they had to take it for a drive.:icon_thumright:

wilko said:
Oh right... I guess you have the best of both worlds with the bluefin - being able to map and remap when ever you like.

Does it increase people insurance by much??

Thats the great thing about Bluefin, plug in the handset and follow the on screen instructions and 5 mins later the map is changed back to standard, another 5 mins and your back to warp 10... :)

The diesel models take a lot less time to read/upload the different maps compared to the 2.0T petrols (around 15 mins) as the diesel ECU is much less advanced than the petrol version..

My insurance went up by exactly £0!! I'm with Greenlight and they cover stage 1 remaps free of charge, could be worth trying them if your up for renewal soon? :icon_thumright:

I renewed last week. I'm with Privilege, but theres nothing on the internet to say that you have a modified car, guess i'll have to call um or ready the T&C's.

curley said:
:wtf: Who said anything about "scientifically testing" :)
I was just putting the foot to the floor with my blood shot eyes trying to beat yeah :)

Hehe! the caning both cars got coming up the M6 was fairly scientific in a 'mash your foot to the floor' kinda way lol! :)

Can't wait for round 2 on the Autobahn's in may....:w00t:

wilko said:
I renewed last week. I'm with Privilege, but theres nothing on the internet to say that you have a modified car, guess i'll have to call um or ready the T&C's.

I was with Admiral which i think are something to do with Privilege iirc, i got a renewal quote before doing the Bluefin and they wanted an extra £430 a year on top of £490 for the normal policy!! :faint:

Seems they don't like modified cars at all as they even charged me extra for my factory options (xenons, 20 spokes etc) wheras Greenlight covered all options and the Bluefin with lower policy excesses for £470 a year :icon_thumright:

Only working half day today then:no:
Clock on-Clock off..:lmfao:

curley said:
Only working half day today then:no:
Clock on-Clock off..:lmfao:

Err, Aah, erm.... i've got a free period sir... ;)

Have had Bluefin for 2 months now on my 140 tdi manual s-line, it lets you realise the full potential of the car. For average fast motorway driving it's perfect, very good for catch-up and high speed cruising, within the law obviously..!! I think the 190ish BHP is about right for British roads, I've always thought that any journey where you can average around 60mph is good speed. The extra 'grunt' is understated and suits the car perfectly, personally I have no interest in 0-60 numbers, it's the 30-70 where you get the benefits, have found no change to MPG, improved slightly if anything.
It's a 'no-brainer'.... 'ave it..!!!

Beddie said:
I was with Admiral which i think are something to do with Privilege iirc

Nope. The Admiral group consists of:
-Admiral
-Elephant
-Bell Direct
-Diamond

I'll tell you if you "Thank" me?

It's called the InterWeb.

Coming soon, to computers worldwide... :yes:

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replys, so how do i go about getting a Forum Discount?
Everyone on here seems to be happy with the Bluefin so thats good enough for me!

Cheers Ross

Phone them and tell them you are a member of uk-mkivs and you should get a nice few ££'s off.

Just had a couple of days driving with Bluefin installed and I must say I am very impressed, smooth mid range performance and so much quicker thru the gears, DSG really suits the extra power. 200 mile round trip to Coventry tomorrow and the same again on Wednesday so a great chance to try out things for real. I totally agree its the 30-70 range that really makes the difference, even my son commented on how quick it was..he may be having second thoughts about oil burners now!

ok so call me a idiot!
I installed the software and plugged in the handset on my pc before plugging it into the car!
So now when i plug it into the car it say's "install software on pc" and thats it! Look like i need to phone tech help tommorrow!
Yes i know i'm a idiot but i'm a bloke how does read instruction's properly!

That is why I went to superchips to get them to do it all for me lol

Rossco, When mine arrived i had a bit of trouble with the handset. Give them a ring in the morning, they will have you up and running in no time.. Customer service is brilliant.
Word of warning "Be very gentle when plugging the cable into the back of your handset".. Jamie showed me a handset which was open and the clips in the back are plastic. Dont push the cable in the handset too hard you may snap the clip..