A3 2.0T FWD vs S3 8L. New S3 Must Be Awesome Compared.

Thats what I thought. Did seem good though. Must be somethingn to do with FSI or being slightly larger engine.

Ah interesting post

on the way back from UD show this weekend i convoyed with a 8L S3 and had a good play with him down a dual carrageway and had no problem in showing him that my 2.0T Quattro faster than his S3....................

Of course i am Bluefinned! lol

I had a play against a new Focus ST on a dual carriageway the other day. Think he thought he would floor it and leave me. Sat with him all the way up the hill until we both slowed for traffic

Suprised the 2.0TFSI kept up with the S3 (1.8T)?! Im surprised it didn't pass the S3...

Im not surprised as having driven an old s3 and owning a 2.0t fsi i know they seem pretty even on accelaration. Since ive had mine chipped ive scalped a few quick cars R32, Focus ST225, CTR so on

It's hardly a race that is it? One guy leaning out of a car filming - imagine the aerodynamic drag that was causing. Also, was the guy in the S3 really pushing it? You just don't know.

Which car is faster could only be proven at a track, Santa Pod for example. Even then its dependant on the driver, reaction time, weight, gear changes etc.

However, they are very close in terms of performance, just looking at the numbers...

8P A3 2.0TFSI...200PS....280Nm
8L S3 1.8T........225PS....280Nm

So how anyone can say "I'm surprised it didn't pass the S3" is beyond me, unless the 8P A3 was remapped. It would be all down to the drivers to make one car pass the other.

A real world experience for me was on the start of the toll road once, heading north, with a new Golf Gti 2.0TFSI behind me. There was nothing in it to be honest. I did start to pull slowly away from about 120 but, you could argue the guy may have been easing off. You could also argue that the guy may only have kept with me because he was in the slipstream created by my car in front. I did move over, but he didn't pass. ;)

Its swings and roundabouts. With cars with such similar performance figures and weights, its all down to the drivers.

In my opinion of course. :)

AL

Shame you're up in the northwest Al or I'd offer a race just to settle the score! lol

A Bluefinned 2.0T FSI is faster than a 8L S3 for sure.

I pulled at least 3-4car lengths ahead when i toyed with a 8L S3 this weekend.

For sure Robin :icon_thumright: but they corner far better. Check out my vid above.

RobinA3 said:
A Bluefinned 2.0T FSI is faster than a 8L S3 for sure.

I pulled at least 3-4car lengths ahead when i toyed with a 8L S3 this weekend.

Robin

Have you not read Al's post above?

How did you know the other car was really going for it?

What gear were you and it in when you both floored it, the same?

Did the other driver really want to "race" you and risk losing licence?

Robin

Also, if you are in front when "toying", you have I would guess 1/2s-1s, maybe 2s, "reaction-time lead" on the car behind. The guy could be just relaxing taking it easy, he could be in the wrong gear - easy mistake to make in 8L S3 with K04 turbo lag, which gives you another 1s advantage (roughly).

Also, your A3 2.0TFSI has a smaller turbo than an S3 (new and old), hence faster spool-up, less lag.

Same road, side by side, same gear, count-down 3-2-1, floor both cars...then see what happens, its the only true test, or Santa Pod.

AL

I agree with what you're both saying but my old CTR could keep up with an 8L S3 not too bad and my bluefinned a3 is quicker than the CTR was.

I'm willing to offer an S3 a race though :racer:

AL_B said:
its the only true test, or Santa Pod.

AL

I think there is no "true test", its horses for courses.

For example my Caterham 7 on ACB10's (a dry formular ford tyre) was faster than any Subaru I meet on the track, but on a wet road it always felt like the grim reaper's company car.

The S3 is faster than a standard A3 2.0T, both can be modified.

Santa Pod a lot will depend on how burtal you are and how you setup the car for the 1/4 mile. A in gear test "3-2-1 go", will only show you which car has the best road gearing / torque / lag combination for the starting speed of the test.

I feel there is no real perfect test.

Chris.

Chris,

I agree with what you are saying, to a degree. There's not ever going to be a completely accurate test - I know that.

What I was trying to do was make a suggestion which comes close, an almost accurate test, if you want to call it that. Removing a standing start scenario.

So if Robin wanted to test his car, against an 8L S3, and get a reasonably valid outcome, he should do a side by side test. Doing that removes some of the reaction time element (but not all), it would remove a slip-stream effect of one car being behind the other. You still have factors such as turbo spool-up, gear changes, rev limit. Of course, it would only be from a set starting speed.

Anymore suggestions for Robin. Lets help the guy out.

AL

To find a comparison between the cars you would have to eliminate variables like driver, tyres, fuel level, climate etc., then back to back test the cars in the discipline you want to compare 0-60, 1/4. lap times etc.. It's got to be the only true comparison using some timing equipment.

You could always find a S3 8L at a dealers that is willing to let you have a test drive. ;)

I would hate to think Robin is going to street race every S3 8L he is going to meet just to prove a point.

Chris.

If racing is such an unaccurate test then why do we have millions of races every year?!

I can believe you won't get 100% accuracy but if 2 cars race and one is visibly edging away by a reasonable margin then it is a faster car!

Not to sure you have the right facts!

front wheel drive 2.0t
Weight 1370kg chipped power 241 bhp 0-100 15.05s

S3 8l
Weight 1375kg chipped power 264 bhp 0-100 13.86s

S3 8p
Weight 1530kg (FAT *******) chipped power 310 bhp (NICE)
0-100 12.80s

:hubbahubba:

Info taken from http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

Its all down to how each other drives!! :motz:

I know the other guy was flooring it as we both convoyed back from a VW show and everytime we had a chance we gave it some.

On one occasion we both came to some red lights and as soon as they went green we both gave it beans and once we decided enough was enough we came along side each other and gave each a nod and a smile.

Then convoyed for 40miles on the motorway.

I can't believe people are questioning that a Bluefinned 8P is faster than a standard 8L S3.

225bhp vs 240-255bhp

as for the weight side of things i am sure that the 8L is lighter but not by alot.

Ok fair do's the 8L may handle better but i am on about straight line speed.

I am always up for a Santa Pod drag race.

14.5sec to the 1/4miles aint that fast Al.

I got 14.7sec at the pod in my Polo G40 and thats FWD on 175/50/13 tyres and running 150bhp.

staz1000 said:
If racing is such an unaccurate test then why do we have millions of races every year?!

I can believe you won't get 100% accuracy but if 2 cars race and one is visibly edging away by a reasonable margin then it is a faster car!

What we are trying to say though is did the other person "know" it was in a race or Robin was about to floor it?

I doubt it unless he has a crystal ball.

Yes we have races most of the year but the major factor there is everyone knows that they are in one and floors it from the start.

Even a 2 second reaction to realising a car infront has floored it or changing down a gear would mean the car infront would always pull away to a degree.

Its totally pointless going over and over this subject and having a page count going sky high, prove it/experiment on the track like has been suggested!

I agree with you with reference to that video in particular Jam, I just think suggesting that the climate and fuel level can make that much of a difference is nit picking.

I'm done now :icon_thumright:

staz1000 said:

Racing - Good

Street Racing - Very Bad

Hope that explains my coments :)

Chris