Slight buzz / Rattle from Instrument Cluster

cjp2k

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a slight buzz/rattle at certain RPM in my 2.0 TDI coming from the speedo area

Any idea if this is common problem and how to fix it.. The reason I ask if its common is because the TDI I had for the weekend test drive had exactly the same rattle... just a bit louder!!

Cheers

Chris

I have this rattle too, putting pressure on the clear plastic stops the buzzing when it occurs, so I know it's definitley coming from there.

I have the noise from the dash-instrument area too, although the noise is usually drowned out by one of the many other rattles/buzzes/squeaks.....

I get it too (goes away when I press the clear plastic) but,as Davidb67 states above,it's either drowned out by the myriad of other rattles,or the horrendous road noise.

Me too. It's been in and they tightened a screw of something. It is better now, but not entirely gone. Have more annoying rattle from passenger side somewhere, most noticeable when turning left... can't work out if it's the glovebox, door card or seat.

Yup,Bose helps in these situations !
I don't often take my car on long journeys these days,but we did this weekend.
The wife was shocked as to how noisy it was (road noise mostly),combined with rattles etc.
On some surfaces,conversation was practically impossible.
Makes for a very tiring long distance motor.
I used to do the length of the UK in my A4 without feeling tired.
Even Aberdeen to Glasgow is tiring in the A3.

Must be something seriously wrong with yours then mate, I did Luton to Nottingham in mine the other week and for a motorway drive I actually enjoyed it... apart from the MPG after driving at (ha hum...) over 100 for most of the way! I didn't feel too bad after either.

Davidb67 said:
I have the noise from the dash-instrument area too, although the noise is usually drowned out by one of the many other rattles/buzzes/squeaks.....

<aol> Me too, Me too!

wilko said:
Must be something seriously wrong with yours then mate, I did Luton to Nottingham in mine the other week and for a motorway drive I actually enjoyed it... apart from the MPG after driving at (ha hum...) over 100 for most of the way! I didn't feel too bad after either.

Nope,nowt wrong with it (not in this respect anyway).
Road noise in the S-line is ridiculous and that's that.
That's with quieter tyres too (F1's)
The vibration that gets through to the cabin is undoubtedly to blame for the rattles/buzzes too.
It's a shame,coz I like the looks/handling/grip of 18" wheels.
I wouldn't want to go to stodgy handling/small wheels just for the sake of noise.
I'd rather Audi spent a bit more on sound deadening,that's all.
Go drive an A4 with the same wheel/tyre combo and you'll see (or hear..) that it needn't be this way.
It is possible to have big wheels without the excessive cabin roar.

That's a real pity.. Two years ago I drove from Zürich to UK and back in my A4 1.8T (about 1600 miles round trip) and last year I did the same journey in my A3 TDI 140 Sport. I found that cabin noise in the TDI was probably lower, despite rarely dropping below 100mph and the TDI was definitely more stable and more comfortable at high speeds.

I first found the sport suspension was incredibaly hard at low speeds, but this is more than compensated for by the very stable ride at high speed. I can see why even harder suspension on the s-line must be a bit bone-shaking.

Interestingly the A3 is my 3rd Audi, but so far it is the only one that hasn't had to go back to the dealer repeatedly for minor rattles and problems.

Mines rattling too - tracked it down to the Drivers side Dashboard end piece knocking against the drivers door/dash.

Time to order some VAG felt strip methinks! :p

On the way home last night I turned my stereo off and listened for any rattles or vibrations, etc... and there was nothing - apart from the knocking from the rear. Yeah the road noise is bad but... not rubbing it in but if your rattles are that bad can't you take it back to the dealers and tell um to sort it???

wilko said:
On the way home last night I turned my stereo off and listened for any rattles or vibrations, etc... and there was nothing - apart from the knocking from the rear. Yeah the road noise is bad but... not rubbing it in but if your rattles are that bad can't you take it back to the dealers and tell um to sort it???

A/ It's probably futile to even try.
B/ I simply don't care any more,I'm counting down to getting rid.

I've nearly crashed numerous times while listening for rattles, I don't advise moving your ears close to the rattle while driving!

^^^ What he said! One of mine is somewhere down by the passenger speaker grille!

I have two, i turned my Stereo off tonight and had a good listen and decided enough is enough, so I will call the stealer tomorrow to report the folding mirrors not working again 4th time and to please please sort the rattles. If only for when I sell the thing.

I washed, waxed, sealed, painted the tires on the weekend, the car looks great, really good. Super silky gloss black. Its a real shame that tiny little things like a rattle ruin the car for me and makes me hate the car, the stealers and the brand. I just can't help it

I wouldn't go as far as 'hate' but I know exactly what you mean.

my feeling is 'hate', i hate having paid all that money for something that rattles, i hate that i got rid of a car 4 years old that had no rattles

It really does take the shine off doesn't it? I went from an Octavia RS (no squeaks or rattles in 3 1/2 years) to something that fair enough looks the dogs danglies but buzzes and rattles like there's no tomorrow. As I'm trying to source yet another noise I'm thinking 'I must be mad, this is a 24 thousand pound car!'. The thing is that most of the noises are not worth a trip to the dealer because you just know they either wouldn't hear them or be able to cure them. Minor irritations that add up to an unsatisfactory experience.

And I'm about to post in the ongoing 'squeaky door seals' thread. Don't know if I can be ***** now.

cdb2 said:
Know how you feel guys and with you - growing band of us......

If you're starting a club,I think I should be honorary chairman.

If you're starting a club,I think I should be honorary chairman.

I agree you should be the chairman Bowfer - any one second that!

I feel rather left out of this 'club'. My new Sportback doesn't have any rattles or squeaks. The only think wrong at the moment is that the DIS computer does not work. But I did ask for a couple of things to be coded differently before I collected it and it may be that something or someone got it slightly wrong. It's being sorted today.

I have a Silver 56 A3 2.0TDI Manual Sportback as a lone car and apart from having to keep playing with a clutch pedal it's fine. It's done 2.5k miles and no rattles or squeaks from than either, although I must say I not too keen on the all black interior.

Plenty of time

I had my previous A3 3-door for nearly 3 years and didn't have any rattles or squeaks of any sort at all.

Lets hope this one is as good.

Great! It's nice to have the 4 doors when I have passengers and I really like the new Bi-Xenons. The 170 engine seems smoother and quieter than my 140 although it's still only done around 700 miles. I like the new perforated leather 3-spoke wheel as well, otherwise it's very much more of the same.

I do like the electric seat controls I ordered for the driver's seat. They are very easy to use and give more adjustments than the manual controls. It's possible to raise either the front or the back of the seat cushion seperately from raising the whole cushion.

The only minor problem that I had was sorted out by the dealer today. I'm not sure if it came from Audi with the problem or if the dealer created the problem. I asked for a couple of things to be coded different from standard before I collected the car and when I did get it the DIS computer did not work at all. They had the car today and recoded the dash panel and all is now working as it should do.

I've had the Symphony II+ out to fix and hard wire my PDA cradle and wired my Micro-Go GPS camera unit to a spare connection in the fuse box at the end of the dash and still no rattles!

About the rattles... let's not forget our cars belong to the segment of a Golf/Megane/Astra... cannot expect miracles even at premium price...

This is not a premium car, you need to go A6 or similar to get close to premium car and even those have rattles and niggles....

In the end is just a middle of the range car, nothing much, be it an S3 or the 1.6... I bought mine being aware of that...

No illusions here...

Pedro

P.S.: The price does not match quality, this is not a good value per money car, price pays 4 rings tag and for some the idea of prestige... Same service as VW, same chassis, engines... different skin and flavour... I bought it anyway, just because I like it but is not best buy or a sensible buy...

bowfer said:
Go drive an A4 with the same wheel/tyre combo and you'll see (or hear..) that it needn't be this way.

The reason A4's ride better than the A3 is because of the Multi-Link Suspension. If Audi modified the Golf Chassis to fit Multi Link it would cost a fourtune and the car would be nowhere near as fun to drive as it is now.

Having owned an A3 and A4 S-line (both with 18 inch wheels) I'd say the ride on an A3 isn't really that much worse than an A4

I'm more than happy with my A3 by the way. Yes it's had a rattle, but that hardly suprising with the Temperature changes in the last week. Even my A4 had the odd rattle!

Nelson_Wilbury said:
The reason A4's ride better than the A3 is because of the Multi-Link Suspension. If Audi modified the Golf Chassis to fit Multi Link it would cost a fourtune and the car would be nowhere near as fun to drive as it is now.

Having owned an A3 and A4 S-line (both with 18 inch wheels) I'd say the ride on an A3 isn't really that much worse than an A4

I wasn't talking about ride,I was talking about road noise.
Even with the same wheel/tyre combo,road noise is better suppressed in the A4.

bowfer said:
I wasn't talking about ride,I was talking about road noise.
Even with the same wheel/tyre combo,road noise is better suppressed in the A4.

Having had my A4 for 26000 miles I strongly dissagree with that statement :p I don't find the A3 any worse or any better in that respect. They're both as bad as each other.

wilko said:
Moan, moan, moan...

I quite agree.

Bowf, you have loads of good stuff to say, but you never seem to do out but moan lately....if it's that bad why haven't you gotten rid?

bowfer said:
How many times.....it's a company car !

My apologies, don't read everything to indepth to remember that....you could always get a new job though! :icon_thumright:

Well mine rattles to buggery, is back at the dealers for the 3rd emissions fault in 2 months, had a new radiator fitted 3 months ago after the old one dumped all its coolant on the a1...... and there is still a fault with the climate control that they are unable to diagnose !!

Audi superior build quality......... don't make me laugh!! :keule:

My knob rattles
:hubbahubba:

The little silver one on the handbrake.

I recently had a coolant leak too, the heater matrix sprung a leak and dumped steam into the cabin via the vents.

Smelled awful, could see a damn thing as the windows misted instantly!

Fixed now, keep ousting the car to get rid of the smell.

Going to have a new car by the time the warranty is out!