AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    windsurfer

Status

Optional bucket seats on S3

I specced the optional bucketc seats in my S3, car is at the dealership, just waiting for reg plates (wich will take longer as it's a left hand drive) Torture! Torture!

Has anyone specced them? Can you tell me your experience with them (I will soon find out but just trying to gather information...)

Anyway, not expecting them to be comfy, S3 is not a car bought with confort in mind, for that we have SE trim wich would be better in that department...

Thanks
    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry but of course the S3 is bought with comfort in mind. If all you wanted was performance and didn't care about comfort there are far better ways of spending £30k and far cheaper ways of achieving the same performance.

The whole point of the S3 has always been to combine comfort and luxury with performance, not sacrifice the former for the latter.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

windsurfer

Status
    Well off course I could have bought a Caterham or a Lotus... When I say that S3 is not intended for confort is when compared within the A3 line up!! And from all the A3 available the S3 is not the most confort one and is for sure the most performant....

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status

Smile

I think it might be helpful to define comfort in your view, as it is very different for each of us.

I much prefer firm suspension setup than soft, and really don't like being in MPV's as with the extra height and soft suspension as a passenger I soon feel sick.

My current S3 has firm suspension, superb seats and only when running over uneven surfaces at high speed is uncomfortable.

However, new S3 also has firm suspension but a vastly improved chassis and dampers which did not exhibit the uncomfortable ride at high speeds, and of course like you I also will be getting bucket seats.

I certainly would never say that any Audi I have driven in the last 10 years was uncomfortable though
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats
    00-01 A3 1.8TQ Sport Red, Bose

6th Gear

Status
    Hey Steve,

Just noticed from your sig, we have the same confirmed build week!

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

3rd Gear

Status
    Drove the with the optional Recaros in a MkV R32 for 3 hours straight: they felt very comfortable.

The only drawback is that they don't tilt as far as normal seats so access to the back is less satisfying.

Also, there have been reports of poor build quality and early seam seperation (look up MkV R32 forum on www.tyresmoke.net )

If I were to order an S3, I would definitely be willing to cough up the extra dough.
    Ben.
    '05 A3 3.2 MT6 /// KW Variant III - GenII Haldex Performance Part - H&R sways - TST Stressbrace - VF-Engineering full mounts - 17lb 8x18 Neuspeed forged wheels - CG Lock - Ross Tech

HPA FT450 turbo installed, with world's best Torsen front diff: www.peloquins.com

Every day's a track day ;-)

is a retronaut

Status
    I was in the dealership today and they had an RS4 so I checked out the seats. I asked if the S3 ones were the same and he said they didn't come with lumbar or bolster adjustment! Not for me thanks in that case.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

4th Gear

Status
    Sorry, but who buys a car from new and specs sports seats without trying them out first? Is it just me who thinks that's daft?
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

windsurfer

Status
    Well it is not daft because I am to see an S3 with those sport seats specced!!

In terms of shape they are similar to S4 and I knew they weren't adjustable as well... so no news here.

They will be good for sure I only would like to compare them with normal S3 seats in long journeys... hence the query about confort. It seems no one as specced them so it makes my S3 even more special...

Pedro

is a retronaut

Status
    I think they're nice and all but not worth 1400 quid without all the adjustability. You can't even add lumbar support to them like you can with the standards.
    8P2 S3

Neutral

Status
    I love my bucket seats. Best seats ever!

Last edited by FreddieS3; 13th March 2007 at 09:32.
    Audi S3 - 2007 (BSR remap 310 bhp) Team Ibis White

is a retronaut

Status
    I really want to try them out but out ofthe 3 dealerships I've been to none of the s3s they have are specced with them!
    8P2 S3

windsurfer

Status
    Thanks FreddieS3! That was what I was looking for...

Are they confy as well in long journeys?

Pedro

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg
    Thanks FreddieS3! That was what I was looking for...

Are they confy as well in long journeys?

Pedro
    I think so Yes, and all of my friends who have tried them and joined on longer journeys says they are the best seats the ever tried.
    Audi S3 - 2007 (BSR remap 310 bhp) Team Ibis White

1st Gear

Status
    Have the buckets as well, they are excellent on long journeys. If I specced a new S3 tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate in opting for the buckets again. Great seats to sit in and they look brilliant as well.

Noticed you are from Inverness, got mine from Highland Audi as well!

3rd Gear

Status
    Say, can the Recaros be ordered in light grey?
    Ben.
    '05 A3 3.2 MT6 /// KW Variant III - GenII Haldex Performance Part - H&R sways - TST Stressbrace - VF-Engineering full mounts - 17lb 8x18 Neuspeed forged wheels - CG Lock - Ross Tech

HPA FT450 turbo installed, with world's best Torsen front diff: www.peloquins.com

Every day's a track day ;-)

5th Gear

Status
    I think they look great and really differentiate the S3 from the other A3's. Lets hope they are better quality than the A3/4 leathers which look appauling in no time at all!

Can't say they go with the centre armrest though and in 4 yrs ownership with my 8L S3, ive never used it once anyway!

6th Gear

Status
    I'm looking forward to the bucket seats too. Great pic.

Shame they aren't embossed with either recaro or S3, though.

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

Sepang Blue S3

Status
    Ive ordered the seats. Are they defo recaros?
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

6th Gear

Status
    Don't you loose the side airbags with them too?

If so with that in mind and the lack of adjustability Audi are taking the p*ss with the price, also RS4 owners have had loads of problems with the sides of the seat creasing and cracking only after a few months of sitting in them.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

windsurfer

Status
    So I'm happy they are good ones... For me, for a car like the S3, is a must have...

I don't think they are Recaros, and they are different from the RS4s in the sense they have no adjestability or electric adjustment...

Pedro

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_B
    Hey Steve,

Just noticed from your sig, we have the same confirmed build week!

AL
    Would be very wierd if we have our VIN numbers only one decimal place apart?

I wonder who gets the newer car? Wanna place a small wager on the VIN number being the newest? LOL

Can't wait, I got confirmation of the build on Sat 10th Mar, although I have mixed fellings as I do so like my current 8L S3 and will sadly miss it when it goes, so am taking lots of opportunity to wash it before it is gone for good... sniff...
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats
    00-01 A3 1.8TQ Sport Red, Bose

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    Would be very wierd if we have our VIN numbers only one decimal place apart?

I wonder who gets the newer car? Wanna place a small wager on the VIN number being the newest? LOL

Can't wait, I got confirmation of the build on Sat 10th Mar, although I have mixed fellings as I do so like my current 8L S3 and will sadly miss it when it goes, so am taking lots of opportunity to wash it before it is gone for good... sniff...
    Steve it would be wierd! If I remember correctly, didn't you order yours a few days before me? If its first come first serve you may well be in front.

My dealer sends me weekly updates, a print out of the confirmation screen, still confirmed as week 12.

I'm trying to minimise usage of my 8L S3, just to keep the mileage down a little. Would be nice to have one last blast on some country roads though, take some pictures etc. I need to get organised. Although I don't want to anything to go wrong either, so trying to be mechanically sympathetic at the moment.

But only last night (whilst driving round Warrington looking for new houses, lots of roundabouts), it was amazing how good the car still feels. I like the steering and its weight, grip on the Goodyear F1's, and performance is still good - I will miss it. I'm just hoping the new one lives up to its parent. It will be a sad day when my 8L S3 goes.

AL
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

6th Gear

Status
    Believe me gents you will not miss your 8L's when you get your new one!!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.