Anyone know what this is?

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
When i was removing the rear lights to fit silvertec bulbs i noticed this thing on the passenger side, as the picture shows it has a Motorola logo on it.

thing1.jpg

thing2.jpg

Anyone know what its for?

thats what i thought but i don't have any phone cradles or anything for a phone in the car.

when you are next in your car try searching for other devices in the bluetooth menu section on your mobile phone.
I did this and it found audi uhv 2042 and my phone connected to the car via bluetooth.

might be worth a try

i have tried that Diablo and nothing came up on the bluetooth.

really annoying me now

Could be the aerial for the radio. I mean the aerial isn't external could be that...

Just a thought.

The radio aerial is in the rear screen.

Robin, I take it this car was yours from new? I'd be back at the dealer asking wtf it was tbh.

Incidentally, let me know if you manage to get the little plastic trim insert back in properly and how you did it as I never managed it on my old car :)

Yup it was one year old when i bought it from the dealers

I got the trim back in fine without breaking it although the one on the drivers side was already broken so i need a new one, can you get them alone or are they apart of the light?

MarcQuinlivan said:
Looks to me as if the guy who had the car before you fitted a Motorola phone kit and didn't want to mount an antenna on either the roof or the inside of the windscreen, so ran it to under the bonnet to get a better signal - not sure why you would do that as it is much simpler to fit a glassmount strip on the inside - I've actually got one built into my tax disc holder. I assume he uninstalled the phone kit when selling the car, but couldn't be bothered removing the antenna.

Can't think what else it could be. Have you tried chasing the wire back to wherever the other end is?

sounds about right to me

the wire is not under the bonnet, its just the rear passenger light.

i have not traced it back, to be honest i can't be bothered as it looks like a tidy installation and i don't want to rip everything out to see where it goes.

i'll just assume its some kind of phone kit then.

oh its stuck down onto the bodywork so it won't be moving anywhere

are you 100% sure its a tracker?

i wasn't told about this when i bought the car and i got no forms or anything about it

maybe i should ask the dealers

No I'm not sure. Just a guess but its the best possiblity, unless someone is keeping a eye on you...

I'd probably advise removing this post for your securtiy reasons. You never know who is looking.

Hi Robin,

I have a nasty feeling these guys may be winding you up just like I was... :)

No honestly, Robin I'm not winding you up. I really think it 'could' be tracker. A simple question, have you got it fitted?

Actually that's a real possibility as I know a lot of Audi dealers fit tracker to their used car stock. I once tried a car and it had a big label "no tracker installed" on the key fob and they insisted that a salesman came with me on that drive....

Badley said:
No honestly, Robin I'm not winding you up. I really think it 'could' be tracker. A simple question, have you got it fitted?

I don't know if i have a tracker fitted, i wasn't told about it when i bought the car 2nd hand from a dealers.

i think i will ring up the dealers tomorrow and ask about it

My cars 2nd hand from the dealers and has a tracker fitted.
I did get the paperwork for it with the car..
I think Beddies A3 is the same ie: Tracker and paperwork.

cool i will ring tomorrow and ask

if so then that would help me keep the insurance costs down

curley said:
I think Beddies A3 is the same ie: Tracker and paperwork.

Yep, spot on John! according to my dealer Audi has a deal with Tracker to fit cheap/free Trackers to their demo fleet, tracker pay the subscriptions for the 3 month demo period and the new owner can then take it over thereafter.. :icon_thumright:

cool

i will enquire tomorrow about it

hey steve i saw you today at the UD show's car park!

you were just leaving your parking space

i ended up parking up the road in the town carpark which was an **** but at least it was free parking!

Sounds like i just missed you then mate...

Thought about parking in the shopping centre car park myself this morning after sitting in the traffic to the show car park for nearly an hour!! and then being charged £3.50 for the priviledge lol! :faint:

Quite a good show i thought, just wish i could have found some nice Audi bits to spend my hard earned on! :)

As mentioned previously, I worked at Tracker for a short stint.
They have deals with a few manufacturers to fit Trackers in their cars when built. BMWs and Mini's had Trackers fitted at the factory and it was up to the customer/dealer whether to activate them or not...

Right i have found out that this thing is a tracker system which was fitted to the car at the dealers

Its £30 for admin/paperwork change over

£109ish for 1 yrs cover

£400ish for lifetime cover

and the insurance saving i get for having the tracker is............

NOTHING!

i'll keep it unactivated!

thats crap mate - you would think they would accomodate you in some way!