To Tracker or not to Tracker

AL_B

Reaction score
Guys,

Whats your thoughts and experience of Trackers?

Do you think its wiser to have a Tracker fitted or not?

If you have a Tracker fitted, and the car gets stolen, found and then returned to you - how does that affect your insurance?

Does the cars history then get "marked" with Stolen and Recovered?

Whats your opinion?

AL

Would you want it back after its been nicked? I would rather spend the money on GAP insurance and if it goes hope they burn it out, so I can have a nice shiny new one.

I agree with d3fy, I defo would NOT want it back if it had been stolen, after the little scrotes had ragged it.

I'd only put one on it the insurers demanded, as they did with my previous M3.

But the choice is yours.

Ooooh difficult one for me too!

I currently have tracker monitor on my current S3, but that will be gone in a month and I am also wondering if I should have it on my new S3.

I was quite disappointed that it did not pick up the time the car was broken into, but they did phone me some 30 minutes after I had been on the back of a transporter when i have brake light failure problems and ask if my car was stolen, i said it was not as I can see it over just a couple of feet away...

I did recall that you can get other brands which not only report on the car being stolen but also broken into, which for me is a better idea.

I am a little undecided but may get GAP insurance inlieu of tracker as it is a one off payment where as tracker seems not to have given any peace of mind for me in the 5 1/2 years I have had it and cost nearly double.

Trackers really are a waste of time and type like the 'Trackstar' units (that rely on a mobile type sim card to dial out) are a joke as any halfwit can find and disable one in minutes.

The best type of units are the Blackjax ones that allow the car to be driven for a short while and then shut the whole car down. Most thieves don't understand what is happening and just leg it leaving the car.

An ex-girfriends father had his car stolen, ragged to death and then severely vandalised BUT was returned and repaired. He couldn't sell it on fast enough and would have prefered to have not had it found and returned to him.

When I sold my Impreza with a Trackstar unit fitted I did'nt let them know I was no longer the owner. They never did phone to query its movements me even though I know it had at least one trip on a transporter.

If mine gets stolen, I don't want to see it again, so for me a Tracker is definately a no-no. I don't think the car would ever feel the same again after it had been stolen, so I'd rather they steal it and strip it for parts or something than a Tracker pick it up and return it :(

I am a new (1 week) owner of an S3 having owned Subaru Imrezas for the last few years both of which required trackers for insurance purposes.

From my experiance Rac Trackstar are a bunch of tossers when it comes to customer services. Countless threads on Scoobynet regarding stolen Impreza's and lack of backup from tracker companies.
Usual excuses, must have been in sleep mode or must have been removed etc etc.
I phoned them once to test my tracker but they wanted me to tell them where the car was before they would tell me where they thought it was. I pointed out that it didn't really tell me that the system was working if i had to tell them where it was first, at which point the operator agreed and just told me where it was.

Anyhow, if my car was stolen, i wouldn't want to see it again after some tw*t had ragged it.
Blackjax is a better anti theft device as the little sh*ts dont get chance to thrash the car before the engine cuts out.
A better option would be a device that drove the car to a field then blew up with the thieving occupants still in it.
Not politically correct i think :no:

Nik.

coupe-se said:
Trackers really are a waste of time and type like the 'Trackstar' units (that rely on a mobile type sim card to dial out) are a joke as any halfwit can find and disable one in minutes.

The best type of units are the Blackjax ones that allow the car to be driven for a short while and then shut the whole car down. Most thieves don't understand what is happening and just leg it leaving the car.

An ex-girfriends father had his car stolen, ragged to death and then severely vandalised BUT was returned and repaired. He couldn't sell it on fast enough and would have prefered to have not had it found and returned to him.

When I sold my Impreza with a Trackstar unit fitted I did'nt let them know I was no longer the owner. They never did phone to query its movements me even though I know it had at least one trip on a transporter.

Well I have a tracker in my car, purely because my insurance demanded it, but I agree with most people, I wouldn't really want the car back, BUT, i'd rather there was something on the car that drew the police to the car when it was stolen and more importantly to the little #@*&%$s who stole it - with a bit of luck it'll mean it doesn't happen again to anyone else!

Thanks guys. Your opinions were more or less what I was thinking too. Would I really want it back...no. Was going to take out the GAP insurance anyway.

Fortunately for me, the insurance is not demanding a tracker to insure me, so thats a saving.

S3_Nik. Welcome to the world of Audi and S3's. Hope it provides something near to the enjoyment and performance of a Scooby. Absolutely loved your post mate - very funny indeed. :)

AL

S3 NIK said:
Blackjax is a better anti theft device as the little sh*ts dont get chance to thrash the car before the engine cuts out.

Nik.

Has anyone got any experience of fitting a Blackjax to an 8P A3 / S3?

I'm quite tempted as I don't want the aggro of losing my new S3 in the first place (I use it for work too), i'm also getting bored with tracker annual costs. :motz:

Cheers,
Steve

i'm sure if you asked around on a scooby forum you will get an opinion or two

Get GAP insurance and forget about it! Would you want your car even if it was recovered after being stolen? I would not want mine back! GAP insurance, return to invoice for 3 years is cheper than a tracker and if anything happens to your car you have all your money back and you can get a brand new one or save the money...

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
Get GAP insurance and forget about it! Would you want your car even if it was recovered after being stolen? I would not want mine back! GAP insurance, return to invoice for 3 years is cheper than a tracker and if anything happens to your car you have all your money back and you can get a brand new one or save the money...

Pedro

Well possibly. Just consider how long you hire car cover will last for if you order a new S3 from Audi. I've been waiting 3 months for mine! Can't see any insurance covering this length of loan car...

I'd rather have the car 100 yards down the road with the toe rag running away from it, rather than have to wait 3 months to get another car again. (BTW, I have had stolen company cars back, its not brilliant but you do get over it)

I'm also not talking about tracker, as I had that and its not worth the money (IMHO) a blackjax on the other hand might be...

http://www.alarms4u.co.uk/index.php?page=cliffordaccessories

...hence asking if anyone has had it fitted on the forum here.

If your car is nicked and the found, can't you reject it saying you don't want it back?

my new car will have a tracker. Seems rather expensive, I bet there's some type of DIY tracker you can fit and monitor the car yourself on the internet. I watched the film 'firewall' with Harrison Ford and their dog had a tracker fitted!

I have got a tracker on my car but its not activated, the reason is because i asked the insurance if it will make any difference to the price and they said nope so i have left it unactivated for the time being.

Me to insurance £20 cheaper if i activate the tracker, can i just get it activated if it goes missing.

stan said:
Me to insurance £20 cheaper if i activate the tracker, can i just get it activated if it goes missing.

Only if you don't mind waiting upto 4 weeks for them to switch it 'live'...