Did i fill the wrong type oil?

mjepson

Reaction score
My oil symbol came up today, so i checked the manual and it says VW 506.01. :readit:

Went to the local audi dealer but they were all in geneve... so i had to go to a petrol station, and they recommended 5w-40 for newer cars. I was a bit confused since i had 506.01 in my head...

Anyways, i've filled up with about a litre of this now... but then i searched on the net and found this on autowiki.fi

VW 506.01

on oikea öljy PD-dieselmoottoreille Longlife-vaihtoväleillä.
Luettelo luokituksen täyttävistä öljyistä:
  • BP Visco 7000 Longlife II 0W-30 (VW 503.00/506.00/506.01)
  • Castrol Longlife II 0W-30 (VW 503.00/506.00/506.01)
  • Mobil 1 SHC Formula LD 0W-30
  • Shell Helix Ultra X 0W-30 (VW 503.00/506.00/506.01)
  • Teboil Diamond Plus II 0W-30
  • Unil Opaljet Energy2 0W-30 (VW 503.00/506.00/506.01)
  • Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5W-30 (VW 503.00/504.00/506.00/506.01/507.00)
Does this mean i should have bought either 0w-30 or 5w-30 ??

Is this bad for the engine? :keule:

My dealer uses Mobil 1 5w-30, but I'm sure if you use a minimum of VW 503.01 then this is ok for top ups and long life service.

I checked on the can and it says:

ACEA A3/B3/B4, API SL/CF.

Just read the thread properly!

Just in case you didn't know the VW 506.01 is the VW Audi groups way of reccomending oils that they put on the back of the bottle.

It has nothing to do with the actual viscosity of the oil ie 5w-30, 10w-40 etc..

As long as the oil has on the back a VW rating ie like I said above 503.01 you will be ok, best to buy a spare litre from the dealer and keep it in the boot!

That's the thing, i checked two shops and none had the VW specs on the back, so i had to ask and told them what car i had and they said that 5w-40 was the best oil for newer cars...

This is the oil i bought

I woudn't worry, i'm sure the manual says you don't have to use VW spec oil if its only top ups and less than a litre.

JamS3 said:
I woudn't worry, i'm sure the manual says you don't have to use VW spec oil if its only top ups and less than a litre.

The manual is in german :readit:

If anybody could check this for me in a "readable" manual i would appreciate it.

so tdi's with particle filter is 507.01 -> 5w-30
and tdi's without is 506.01 -> 0w-30

?

Typical impatient me, i went a bit crazy while filling the oil, and now that it has settled in it is at max or even over... i have filled somewhere between 1-2 Litres but i forgot to check the bottle.

Do i have to drain out some now so i don't damage the thingy (warning on the motor oil cap about something) or will it run ok with about max / a little over max?

The warning sign says it may damage the catalytic convertor but to be honest our cars at work are always overfilled and used 24hrs a day and they have never broken so I wouldn't worry.

Thanks, good to know, I'd hate to damage the catalytic converter (couldn't remember the english term for it ;) )

Can somebody explain what variable service interval is, and i know the meaning of the words, but why does some cars have it and some don't?

VW 505.01
For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00
For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 506.01
For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

Variable service is also known as Long Life Service, the car tells you when it needs a service based on how you drive it and numerous other things.

The oil needs to be a certain type in these cars as it may be 18,000 miles before a service.

The Fixed service is like it used to be on old cars a while ago ie every 10,000 miles.

MarcQuinlivan said:
Given that it's a TDI you can probably just wait a couple of weeks and you'll have to fill it again anyway :)

HEHE my thoughts exactly... will go for 506.01 next time then