What 8P Audio System Can Play MP3's?

emzino

Reaction score
Hi there. Now with my Concert II I can't play MP3 CD's but I want to keep it OEM without changing it to something thats not Audi.

Do the newer versions play MP3 CD's? What is it called? Is there like a Concert III that plays MP3 CD's?

Thanks in advance.

Yes the Concert II+ can play MP3's. But your biggest problem is that you'll need an RNSE adaptor, a double DIN Radio Cage and a Double DIN Climate Control Unit to fit it. Unless you can retrim them like the A4 ones when going Single>Double DIN; CraigyB should know about that one.

Hmm I see. Would I be better off just getting the RNS-E?

Fitting the double-DIN is a lot of work, mainly because of the parts you need to get. As well as the cage itself which everything sits in, you'll need new buttons too (like the ESP and passenger airbag warning light) as these are different as well. However, the climate control panel can be trimmed down to fit lower in the dash, but only if you're handy with a dremel though.

Found a link with pictures of a single to double DIN install to give you an idea of the work required: click here to see it.

Dear oh dear that is quite alot of work. Think i'll just learn to live without the MP3 CD capabilities lol.

Many thanks though for the input guys. Much appreciate your time and research. Too bad it ain't gonna work out this time heh.

Maybe on my next A3 :)

There are loads of mp3 player adapters about or alternatively look into a Phatnoise/box.

mp3 player adapters. hmmm never actually seen one of those let alone a Phatnoise/box! but I will definitely look into.

thank you for the suggestion rich.

you could get an ipod link and have your ipod in the glovebox?

I use a Solisto (http://www.solisto.de/index.php?page=beschreibung&lang=en), which takes regular USB memory sticks. The unit is small enough to fit behind the glove compartment and I have just the USB cable in the glovebox. I know it is not as sexy as a Phatbox, but if with memorysticks being so cheap nowadays I find it an excellent solution. I have a 4GB and a 2GB stick in the glovebox and that is enought music to keep me entertained for months and months. Managing your music collection is extremely simple. Any PC or MAC with a USB port will do. No docking station needed and, although the unit comes with its own software, you don't nessesarily need it because it is basically just 6 folders with MP3 files.

The only disadvantage of all these aftermarket MP3 interface thingies is that they don't display any track-info, but that is because the Concert/Symphony do not support it. Nothing that can be done about that. The interface just emulates a CD changer so the radio thinks it is dealing with a 6 CD changer with a lot of tracks per CD.

If you do decide to convert to double-din you may as well go all the way and get the RNS-E. Functionality wise I already have all the RNS-E functions: PDA+TomTom, Solisto MP3, Nokia hadsfree kit, but for sexyness nothing beats an RNS-E!

I looked into Phatnoise as well, before going for an RNS-E retrofit (Phatnoise will still hook up with the RNS-E as well though). You can get some units from the States which are good value - around £150 posted, whereas Audi dealers will charge around £400. Not sure if this is the fitted price though.

I think I've said before that if I'd known what a faff it would be to get my Sony mp3 player working with the Concert II I'd have ordered a PhatNoise from new.