Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

climate control removal (temp)

I want to install a small bracket in the void area in front of the gearstick, underneath the climate control there is a smooth plastic "ceiling" to this space where i want the bracket, but i'm guessing on the other side of this plastic the c/c unit butts up fairly closely to it, so small self tapping screws not a good idea. I expect I'll need to pull the c/c unit out momentarily to pop a couple holes through, but can anyone advise how the c/c units moves out? is it a pain to do?
    09/04 - 07/08: A3 2.0 TDi Sport DSG: Lava Grey; Xenons.

2. # ADS
    ADS

If you first remove the radio with normal radio 'keys' the climate control unit can then be unclipped quite easily. All the wires for both the radio and the climate control go into muli-block connectors are are easy to remove and replace if required.

These are some photos I took when I first removed my unit to fit a bracket for my PDA cradle.
    brodit1
    brodit2
    brodit3
    brodit4

As you can see from the photo 'brodit4' there is a small gap between the smooth plastic base and the actual climate control unit.
    Last edited by h5djr; 7th March 2007 at 07:55.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Last edited by MarcQuinlivan; 7th May 2009 at 21:12.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks everyone.
    Actually, looking at your very clear photos Dave R, i reckon i'm safe enough using a fat but short self-tapping screw without risking going into the climate system on the other side of the plastic - save me having to get hold of a pair of radio removal keys from the dealers.

I'm mounting an angled bracket on a male/female slide bracket to mount my PDA on, an iPaq hx4700 which will go horizontally, just below the climate control.
    don't like window mounts (although i had one in previous car), and the PDA is not in the car all the time so a brodit-type bracket permanently fixed is less desireable too - this way i've a solid mounting point when i have the PDA, and no bracket on show / in the way when i dont.
    don't think Velcro or d/s tape will stand up to the slide/unslide stresses over time, and the iPaq's not the world's lightest PDA either......
    09/04 - 07/08: A3 2.0 TDi Sport DSG: Lava Grey; Xenons.