AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    www.photobucket.com
    If not, I'm in the north east all next week doing the family thing. If you're around we could meet up and I could have a nosey.
    Jamie

Is this any good as a first attempt ?

Trev

2. # ADS
    ADS

jamiekip
    That's a tidy job mate!
    So what exactly did you use???

6th Gear

Status
    Very tidy, do you want to come and do mine too? I'd also like to know what you used...

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    lol.. bring back steel wheels and trims! this will stop rust haters seeing the disks! ha

:D

4th Gear

Status
    hammerite smooth them, just go over the rust with a wire brush to remove any crud, then paint hammerite direct on top.
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

1st Gear

Status
    Thats exactly what ive just done looking much better now. i went for silver as i had a tin lying about.

Neutral

Status
    what do you think to red or do you think it will look like a chav car???

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie-S3 View Post
    what do you think to red or do you think it will look like a chav car???

Neutral

Status
    i take it thats a no, well i am awaiting audi customer services to call me back, if they change them ill paint them silver before they have time to rust

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    i am awaiting audi customer services to call me back, if they change them ill paint them silver before they have time to rust
    hey are you trying to get Audi to change your disks because there rusting??

Neutral

Status
    ye i told them my car is only 10 months old nd have rusted all ready, trying to get them on goodwill

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    they should be painted from the factory i say, good luck on your swap mate

L60N
    i take it thats a no, well i am awaiting audi customer services to call me back, if they change them ill paint them silver before they have time to rust
    If you are going to paint them anyway why bother having them changed?

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Cos you get a new set of discs, and if they're changing the discs and are being responsible you should get a new set of pads too!

Neutral

Status
    ye thats my plan 2, as a course if the pads have 60% left on them and audi are fitting new discs they will fit new pads 2......

ill keep u all posted

L60N
    mine are a bit rusty too

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    That's a tidy job mate!
    So what exactly did you use???
    Jamie
    I used VHT Brake Caliper and Rotor paint, part number SP739 and Eastwood Rust Remover all available from Frost Automotive Products.

Trev
    Trev

jamiekip
    Thanks Trev.
    Bought some satin black engine paint and did them over the weekend. The blackjs is a bit glossy actually so don't look quite how I wanted them too, but they look ok .... better than the rust!!!
    Thanks for your advice

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Just thought i'd post a couple of pics with my bell housings painted with Halfords high temperature engine paint,in gloss.

I know it's a common problem for all A3 owners to have rust problems here. This one coat has been on for several months,and just needs the occasional wipe over to stay clean.

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

2008 Phantom Black S3

Status
    Excuse my ignorance fellas but this is just a case of whipping each wheel off and painting them yourself i take it??? My wheels are suffering really badly from this problem and i want to sort it asap!!!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Con S3 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance fellas but this is just a case of whipping each wheel off and painting them yourself i take it??? My wheels are suffering really badly from this problem and i want to sort it asap!!!
    thats the cookie!
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

jamiekip
    Yep - I did mine a little while ago now.
    Whip each wheel off, get a wire brush and get as much rust off as possible. I then used a rust preventative treatment to keep any further rust at bay.
    Let that dry, then apply the high temp engine paint (I used satin black on mine).
    Paint a coat, let it dry for a while.
    I decided whilst I had the wheels off to give them a proper wwash and apply 3 coats of wheel wax to each rim.
    In the middle of doing this a popped another coat on the hub.
    By the time i'd finished sealing the wheels the hub had dried enough to put the spacers and rim back on.

Took me a good 4-5 hours to do all4 corners, but worth it in the long run.

2008 Phantom Black S3

Status
    Cheers Mikey and Jamie!! Sounds like i have got my saturday afternoon all planned out then!! Cant wait to get this done. Every time i look at the car all i can see is rusty brake drums!! Not pretty!!!

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    I like the look Jamie's,but decided that the black wouldn't show the brake dust as much!

It's a bit more fiddly with a wire brush,and mine weren't too bad,so i used a foam backed abrasive pad by 3M as it's easy to use on the curved surface and got right to the back - wire wool would also work.

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

2008 Phantom Black S3

Status
    Jamie did your's come up quite shiney then or what way did it end up?? Im just trying to decide now what would look best with phantom??

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    You could always do a dummy run with some electrical tape? Black and quite shiny,perhaps paint/spray that with grey or silver afterwards to compare?

It might be worth taking some pics too.

For what its worth,i did mine silver first,and it really did show the dust after a while,although it looked good to start with.

jamiekip
    Mine's more matt than shiny.
    Won't be with my car in the day time for while to get a pic - work is buuuuuuuuuusy!
    If you look at Trev's post, mine look similar to his.
    It looks really good at the front, the rear hubs are more visible and Initially I thought it looked a bit rubbish, but it has grown on me.

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    You find this issue on aftermarket discs...almost looks like they havent been treated. Very surprising.

I have it on mine too but I have Black Diamond discs.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Mellow Yellow

Status
    I'm surprised you have an issue with Black Diamond as they treat their discs with some phosphore based coating which scrubs off on the faces, but stays everywhere else. Had them on my old car (not Audi) for a year and had no rust issues.

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    I'm surprised you have an issue with Black Diamond as they treat their discs with some phosphore based coating which scrubs off on the faces, but stays everywhere else. Had them on my old car (not Audi) for a year and had no rust issues.
    Ive allways had problems with aftermarket discs rusting so Ive allways painted them. Just not touch this car yet. Will do when I take the wheels off to clean.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234