new car niggles

steve184

Reaction score
well got my A3 with huuuuuuuuuuuuuge spec and jeez how deceptively quick is that 170TDI with s-tronic gearbox??? it doesn't make any fuss it just goes and it just seems to make use of every little drip of power it has.

Anyway had it afew days and got a few niggles (as is the norm with new cars i guess!)

noticed a few times when switching them on my xenons flicker slowly dimmer then go bright again then flicker dimmer etc etc they carry on this cycle for a minute or 2 then go ok - so something wrong there methinks.

Also noticed my drivers inside door handle has a weird 'cheap' feeling clicky sensation when you pull it so something wrong there - so damn thats the door card gotta come off already!!!

And another question.... how strict do you think is acceptable for a new car in terms of minute blemishes on interior plastics etc??? I have noticed a few real tiny tiny minor little things - do you think this is acceptable bearing in mind a car is a complex thing to build and it isn't really possible to get a car ultimately perfect? And both my keys have minor marks and knocks on them where they look like they been dropped or whatever - problem is these are so minor you don't really notice them when you pick the car up and once you drive it away you have no way of proving they were like that when you got it.

hmmmm

I know what you mean - after mine got dropped off, I gave her a few coats of wax and spotted a few imperfections, including a little scuff on the front splitter.... in discussions with the agrage - i'll let you know how I fair.
My view, whether your spending £10k or £30k - it's a lot of cash and should be perfect - just cause it's a complex thing to build doesn't mean it should be chipped, scratched etc.
Good luck in sorting yours out.

noticed a few times when switching them on my xenons flicker slowly dimmer then go bright again then flicker dimmer etc etc they carry on this cycle for a minute or 2 then go ok - so something wrong there methinks.

The xenons on my new sportback do exactly the same. It's just part of the start sequence on the xenons.

If you want a car that is absolutely 'perfect' in every way then I think you will need to spend a lot more than £20-30k. You into Rolls-Royce territory and £100-200k. I agree that all the major things should be right and work as their indended but minor imperfections in plastic trim or even paintwork are part of the mass production cycle.

h5djr said:
The xenons on my new sportback do exactly the same. It's just part of the start sequence on the xenons.

If you want a car that is absolutely 'perfect' in every way then I think you will need to spend a lot more than £20-30k. You into Rolls-Royce territory and £100-200k. I agree that all the major things should be right and work as their indended but minor imperfections in plastic trim or even paintwork are part of the mass production cycle.

I agree with you there, i have to say id be annoyed if i noticed little things too, but I very much doubt you will get anywhere with the dealers.

I think you'll find the door handle thing is normal if you have a Sportback - I raised a thread on it about a year ago and everyone's seems like it. The passeneger side is fine. Effectively you can squeeze together the 2 halves of the handle and they creak\click - which also happens sometimes when you grasp it to close it.

I had a console strut (either side of the gear leaver) replaced because one had a minor imperfection. The problem is, if you know it is not right it will wind you up everytime you see it and your eye gets drawn to it. Audi go on about quality interiors so if you aren't happy tell them.

I think anything that you/a passenger can see should be replaced/repaired.
As said above,nothing will bug you more than a mark you can see yourself,or some smartass passenger pointing it out/picking at it.
You've paid above average prices for a car marketed as above average,so you should expect above average finish.

bowfer said:
As said above,nothing will bug you more than a mark you can see yourself,or some smartass passenger pointing it out/picking at it.
You've paid above average prices for a car marketed as above average,so you should expect above average finish.

Here here!
Spoke to my dealer about a few things i've spotted - very minor and they seem very helpful in sorting it out.
The processes in building cars does not/should not tolerate mark, imperfections etc, so when they do happen they should be sorted.
My dealer didn't try any excuses even liased with a dealer more local than where I bought the car from to get it resolved.
I'm quite impressed with there response actually!

See if it follows through Jamie as in my experiance is does not and the dealer network is ****. A TV is complex thing to make, but if it has any marks on the plastic, or the picture was not quite right would you accept it?

So whats the difference with a car?

My car had marks on the front bumper when I picked it up from the blue foam stickers they put on to prevent scratches/knocks during transport. Condensation had got behind and somehow got under the paint!

Was not happy and car had to go to bodyshop while I watched a heat lamp used on the car for a hour and they vanished! They did say at first they may have to paint the bumper and I informed them in no uncertain terms that this would not be happening on a brand new car.

Iv'e also noticed my piano black trim around the gear stick and ash tray is scratched and marked, not happy!

My door handle creaks when I close the drivers door... 4day old sportback

Also the black trim on the inside is a nightmare.. whish I specced the ALU

Chris

My last new car (July 06) the side rub strip on the GTI was chipped.. the lads doing the PDI noticed it and I was told about by the sales guy before I noticed it and a new one was ordered and sprayed at a bodyshop.

I wouldn't tolerate any less really.

bowfer said:

I agree with that too. If you notice a blemish then that's enough to complain. When I picked up my car I checked around it both inside and out at the dealers and again when I got home and can honestly say I noticed not one blemish about and I am FUSSY. Should be the same for you. I'd be really p****d off if the keys were marked or knocked.

Don't know about the Xenons but right now I'd put up with the warm up time just to have them!

the xenons are great especialy now you can REALLY blind people with xenon main beam!!!!

The problem with dealers and people in gereral that they can't seem to understand that prevention is infinately better than cure, for example, one of my 'blemishes' is a slight white scuff mark on the top of the dash on the fold - nothing major but its noticeable and unrepairable - i could say to them sort it - but what they do but offer to take a brand new car and remove the entire dash and most of interior out whihc is ludicrous and lets face it once back in there is gonna be a whole load more blemishes on the car than when they started because i dont think they care!

I am trying my best not to let them bother me too much - there is nothing major really (except the lights althou h5djr seems to think they are correct by flickering????? but am not sure i had xenons on my 04 A3 and they didnt do this)

Thankfully my paintwork is flawless.

PS about the piano trim... now you know why i went for medial ally this time lol it looks nice and shiny but cough on it and it scratches! well happy with the medial i even think this is better than the brushed ally now

ps door handle comment - i wasnt meaning the grab handle im talking about the actual metal puller that releaes the lock - it clicks as you pull it and doesnt move smothly like the passenger side and like it did on my last A3 - out of interest how easy is it to remove the door card and how liely is it to get damaged??? is the handle itself easy to replace?

Looking at the workshop manual, removing the door card looks straight forward enough. Depending on the model it's a matter of removing the trim units, which just unclip, taking out some bolts and then the door card just unclips from the door. A bowden cable that operates the door lock and a electrical connector then have to be removed.

With regard to the Xenons - I am assuming the flickering is part of the start process as it stops quite quickly. Mind you I did notice last night than the near-side unit flickered more than the off-side one. May be worth mentioning to the dealer anyway to see what they say.

yeh mine are exacly the same - when it first happened i only noticed it on the nearside so i presumed it was a dodgey connection or something - but if yours does this too???? Why this happen tho - i mean i had xenons on my last 04 A3 and they didnt do this - albeit they weren't xenon plus but why should this make a difference - anyone have any links with audi technical who can find out???

My xenons flicker slightly too... i was thinking of a trip to the dealer as it may be a loose connection??

yeh me too - i'm just gona give me a car a small 'shakedown' period to see if i notice any other niggles and ill take it in and get them all done in one go (hate taking car into garage as it is! so they fewer times the better (and the better condition my car will stay in!)

although thats now 3 ppl - its lookin like its not actually a fault but its very annoying all the same!

I know must of us have the flicker... but it could be a problem, the MKIV golf R32 had similar probs iirc

JamS3 said:
Iv'e also noticed my piano black trim around the gear stick and ash tray is scratched and marked, not happy!
I've seen loads of posts about how easily this stuff scratches. Very very glad I didn't opt for it.