She's arrived.... S3

J

jamiekip

Well she got dropped off on Thursday at 10am. Arrived in a lorry so no mileage incurred as the car was coming from a dealer over a 100 miles away.

Anyway, I'm really pleased, I think the sprint blue looks absolutely wicked, first thing I did, even before a drive, was get a few coats of JEFFs wax on it and some alloy wheel wax to try and keep it protected. Sad I know, but there was a gap in the weather!

So, going through the painful process of running her in, dealer said the engines are built to such precise tolerances that running the actual engine in isn't really required, though it's wise to take it easy whilst everything else beds in.... anyway, i've opted to keep it below 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles.

First impressions are great. It's a big leap forward from my old S3. It smoother, yet more direct, the gear change is better, the engine has loads more response below the turbo range (ie, put your foot down at 1500 and it goes with a degree of urgency) and the turbo spools up really quickly, so though there is lag, it's not as promounced as the old version (though this means you lose some of that turbo kick in the back). As a result it feels slower than it is if that makes sense. I haven't driven it in anger yet though, trying to behave.

The interior is great, the flat bottom steering wheel is fantastic, a lot better than the standard one I tried in the demo car.

iPOD adaptor is a bit of a let down though, you'd think in this digital age you could make it show the track name and allow you to go through the navigation so you could choose the album you want. Sound quality is great though and the BOSE, I think, personlly is great - crystal clear way up beyond what you'd ever really want! Multi function steering lets you scroll through tracks, push and hold this button to fast forward through the track, other side does volume only (sadly pushing this button doesn't mute - shame!).

DIS is way more advanced than what I was used to. Loving the digital speedo, so easy to just glance at.

Some debate been going round on the leather, oil pouch in the boot - mine came with it.

MPG (though only up to 150 miles) running at 26.

My spec:
Sprint Blue
Standard s-spec alloys (think these are a lot better than people make out!)
Black Leather
Lumbar
Flat bottom steering wheel
Piano Black trim
Armrest
Symphony 2+
iPOD
BOSE
Cruise
Interior light pack
Electric folding mirrors
Sun band

Anyway, here she is....
IMG_1944NR.jpg

IMG_1945NR.jpg

IMG_1947NR.jpg

IMG_1953NR.jpg

love the colour of the car

i wish Audi made more effort in the style of the wheels though

Absolutely beautiful car mate. It is in my opinion the best colour by a long way, the chrome/alum effeect really stands out as well, with the only shame being that you can't get blue leather with the two tone option.

I would love to go for this colour myself but a little worried about stone chips, scratches etc. being very obvious. Be interested to hear how it gets on.

I know there are a lot of opinions on the wheels, but I think they are gorgeous.

Really jealous.

normski said:
Absolutely beautiful car mate. It is in my opinion the best colour by a long way, the chrome/alum effeect really stands out as well, with the only shame being that you can't get blue leather with the two tone option.

I would love to go for this colour myself but a little worried about stone chips, scratches etc. being very obvious. Be interested to hear how it gets on.

I know there are a lot of opinions on the wheels, but I think they are gorgeous.

Really jealous.

Thanks mate.

I know what you mean about looking after the paint - share the same concerns, hence sticking on a few layers of wax to try and offer a bit of protection. I'll keep you posted on how it fairs.

The wheels have really grown on me, think the 18" RS4 option would have looked good, but they would never have looked as good as the actual 19" RS4's if that makes sense!

On the paintwork front, have you considered the clear strips that you can get individually or as part of the protection pack? They go on the bonnet leading edge, bumper, and wing mirrors as far as I know and are something like £90 when I last looked.

A mate of mine who keeps his cars stupidly mint swears by them, and says you can barely tell they are there.

As for the wheels, I think the 18" RS4's are a lovely touch on the s-line' now the 5 spoke propellors are getting a bit boring, but I really do think the wheels on the S3 are something special and will distinguish the car further from the s-line than the subtle body kit manages.

As for the 19" RS4's, they are definitely chunkier, more concave than the 18" RS$'s and great to look at, and really should be a cost option.

Very nice not my favourite colour but still very nice. I may consider one of these in white for my next car if i cant get a late E46 M3

Nice car mate, well done! For what it's worth I think the colour is fab - great choice.

congrats, wait until you start driving it properly :icon_thumright:

klauster said:
congrats, wait until you start driving it properly :icon_thumright:

Couting down the mileage - only clocked up about 120 miles so far (mum was visiting this weekend so didn't get much driving time!!!).
Even just going to about 4000rpm you can feel it wanting to run away - i'm really impressed with how progressive it feels so far!

Congrats on the new arrival - i couldn't restrain myself and regularly opened her up before she was run in :hubbahubba: just stayed away from the rev limiter.

Resistance is futile as you will find out ;)

S3Didge said:
Congrats on the new arrival - i couldn't restrain myself and regularly opened her up before she was run in :hubbahubba: just stayed away from the rev limiter.

Resistance is futile as you will find out ;)

Thanks. I already know it's going to be tough to resist putting my foot down.......

Nice motor, I know how you feel I have 700 miles on the clock and find it hard to hold back on the revs but have come this far so will probably take her to the nice round figure of 1000 before starting to enjoy fully.

Just wait until you get above 4000rpm!

Nice car mate, welcome to the club!

One of the best colours for her enjoy.

Maybe worth blanking the court where the photos are taking, my collegues at MI5 computer sciences where able to dicepher the correct address. ;)

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: WElcome to the inner circle! Very nice colour, was my second choice.

TDI-line said:
One of the best colours for her enjoy.

Maybe worth blanking the court where the photos are taking, my collegues at MI5 computer sciences where able to dicepher the correct address. ;)

Haha, well for peace of mind it's now edited!
Thanks.

JamS3 said:
Just wait until you get above 4000rpm!

Nice car mate, welcome to the club!

Up north on the 24th mate... let me know if your around - would like to see the spacers....

Will do mate!

I should have my 15mm on the rear with the 10mm swopped to the front by then.

Give me a PM a few days before you are up here and we can sort something out.

jamiekip said:
iPOD adaptor is a bit of a let down though, you'd think in this digital age you could make it show the track name and allow you to go through the navigation so you could choose the album you want.
Anyway, here she is....

I thought the new head units did show ID3 information?

d3fy said:
I thought the new head units did show ID3 information?

Well mine definately isn't - it might on RNS-E, but the Symphony isn't. Someone did say MP3 cd's show track info though, i've not tried this yet

JamS3 said:
Will do mate!

I should have my 15mm on the rear with the 10mm swopped to the front by then.

Give me a PM a few days before you are up here and we can sort something out.

Nice one - i'll drop you a line when I get back from the alps