Latest tart mod...

rich1068

Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday

Intake001Small.jpg

Intake002Small.jpg

Intake003Small.jpg

And it's been raining all day so I couldn't wash the car. Decided to fit the Carbonio instead.

Intake009Small.jpg

Intake008Small.jpg

As usual the job took three times longer than it should as access is a little on the tricky side but I think it looks absolutely very nice :)

Looks quite good. What does it do though?

JamS3 said:
Looks good, any noticeable differences?

I only drove it back from my parents garage to home so I wouldn't know. TBH I'm not really expecting gains but better breathing is better breathing. It just caught my eye on Fourtitude last week and I thought 'That's for me!' I'll put up a couple of pics of the standard box if you like. The Carbonio does seem much better suited to the task of moving air.

newbiecrg said:
It looks very nice! Can the carbonio sticker be taken off?

Yes. It will just peel off. And you get a couple of spares in case you change your mind. Actually I wasn't to keen on the sticker either but I left it on for the pics.

In case anyone else is interested the Carbonio does come with a replacement panel filter too but I've already got the K&N in so I didn't use it.

:edit:

emzino said:
Looks quite good. What does it do though?

lol! It looks really, really nice!

I like that!!!
Remove the sticker and it's pretty stealthy, but looks special.
Any other comments about it?
More induction roar or anything?

jamiekip said:
I like that!!!

A man after my own heart :)

I'm going to need a good run to see if it's any louder. First impressions say it's not and I wasn't expectiong it anyway. I think you'd need a 'proper' induction kit such as the Evoms CAI for that. But I didn't want all the pipes and sheilds and cone filters. The Carbonio is a bit more 'stock' if you like.

My justification for buying the Carbonio was that it looks good and airflow will be improved. Oh and Mrs.rich1068 has just booked herself a spa weekend with some friends. Reason enough I reckon.

Here are some pics of the standard intake from a couple of angles.

Standard001Small.jpg

Standard002Small.jpg

Standard003Small.jpg

Oh its an intake !!

I was looking at the chopping board

sorry

Yeah nice

The chopping board in non-standard too. The feet are a one off from Milltek and the board design was tested by ABD in their wind tunnel in Nevada. The finish is by Swissol and involved sixteen layers of Brazilian carnuba applied by hand and finally buffed up by that woman in the Special K ads. They got her in specially.

rich1068 said:
A man after my own heart :)

I'm going to need a good run to see if it's any louder. First impressions say it's not and I wasn't expectiong it anyway. I think you'd need a 'proper' induction kit such as the Evoms CAI for that. But I didn't want all the pipes and sheilds and cone filters. The Carbonio is a bit more 'stock' if you like.

My justification for buying the Carbonio was that it looks good and airflow will be improved. Oh and Mrs.rich1068 has just booked herself a spa weekend with some friends. Reason enough I reckon.

OK, toying with this, is it the same for the S3???? I'm guessing it is. Anyway, easy to fit?
Liking it a lot.

jamiekip said:
OK, toying with this, is it the same for the S3???? I'm guessing it is. Anyway, easy to fit?
Liking it a lot.

I'd have a look at a vanilla 2.0T FSI and compare with yours. If the engine cover and standard intake are the same then I can't think why it wouldn't fit.

Carbonio say half an hours labour but anyone who knows me will tell you that wasn't going to happen. Most of the afternoon :(

If you've ever removed the engine cover you'll know that can be a cow but taking off the standard intake is a doddle. Tricky bit is getting to the right hand screw when you're fitting the Carbonio. Put a rag underneath because you will drop the screw. Another little tip, use a small pen torch once you've fitted it to check it's properly seated. If you look through the vent while shining the torch around the intake and you see light, you've done something wrong.

And today I got one of these. Excellent little 'button that does nothing' as my wife call it. I believe MarcQuinlivan has one too.

Here's a very poor video because I couldn't work out how to turn the flash off on the camera :(

<Sorry, vid not working>

:think: Looks nice but the intake aparture looks smaller than the original plus no venturii which increases airflow

No, the intake aperture is the same as the original part. Not sure what you mean by venturii though...

lol!

I just had to nip down to the shops (in the dark, I've been waiting for an excuse) and I think it looks excellent!