Privacy Glass on S3

normski

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to spec privacy glass on their new S3?

There are a few people mentioning it here and there, but it only seems to be an option on the Sportback.

I think privacy glass spoils the look of the S3, looks more like a van.
Whats everyone else think ?

I don't like privacy glass or dark tinted windows, but. hey, it's a personal choice! It just looks too much tuning for me... For me it would spoil my, already black, S3...

Pedro

Whilst I am not averse to everyones opinion differing from mine, does anyone know the answer to the original post?

Cheers

Audi Tyneside had a Orange S3 with really dark rear tints in their showroom on Thursday when I picked up my Sportback didnt like it myself!

Horses for courses really, and I think it is better on some colours than other for sure.

My mate currently has a MkIV black Golf Gti 3dr on 18" RS4's and has rediculously dark glass from the b-pillar back, and slightly lighter and possibly almost legal tint forward of the b-pillar.

It looks complete class in my opinion, without even a hint of boy racerness (we are both 35 now and not getting any younger).

To be honest with two tone leather seats it would be a shame to hide the back, I was just hoping to find a pic of factory fitted p.g. on an S3 so I could decide either way.

Depending on what color your car is and where you live tinted windows can be very functional by reducing the temperature inside your car on hot summer days. That's usually my first mod when I buy a car. I haven't had my A3 in the summer yet, but according to other A3 owners the AC is not as effective as in some other cars. If you live in a warmer climate you almost have to get your windows tinted. My car is black with open sky, leather seats, no fun when it's 100F outside.

I did not spec my car it was a showroom model but it does have factory fitted tints.

I think they are around £300 on the invoice. I would not spec them myself but they don't look too bad.

Steve

My A3 has factory fitted tinted glass and i think along with the factory fitted silver mirrors it really sets the car off especially if the car is black

The option is not on the options list for some odd reason though

It's easy to find a company to tint the windows for you; just ask your Audi dealer. I know of Mercedes dealers who regularly use certain local companies to tint their used cars, where privacy glass wasn't originally specified, and Audi dealers will be the same I'm sure.

I have a mate who does it for a living, and it is so good that you cannot tell it isn't part of the glass because the edges get filed down etc. and it's a really pro job, but you can scratch it.

I am assuming that the factory fit stuff is actual tinted glass, and although I can only find it on the Sportback price list, it isn't much more than having film applied.