Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

Privacy Glass on S3

Has anyone managed to spec privacy glass on their new S3?

There are a few people mentioning it here and there, but it only seems to be an option on the Sportback.

2. # ADS
    ADS

windsurfer

Status
    I do not have anything to hide!! so no privacy/dark tinted windows on my S3...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I think privacy glass spoils the look of the S3, looks more like a van.
    Whats everyone else think ?
    Trev

windsurfer

Status
    I don't like privacy glass or dark tinted windows, but. hey, it's a personal choice! It just looks too much tuning for me... For me it would spoil my, already black, S3...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Whilst I am not averse to everyones opinion differing from mine, does anyone know the answer to the original post?

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    Audi Tyneside had a Orange S3 with really dark rear tints in their showroom on Thursday when I picked up my Sportback didnt like it myself!
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

2nd Gear

Status
    Horses for courses really, and I think it is better on some colours than other for sure.

My mate currently has a MkIV black Golf Gti 3dr on 18" RS4's and has rediculously dark glass from the b-pillar back, and slightly lighter and possibly almost legal tint forward of the b-pillar.

It looks complete class in my opinion, without even a hint of boy racerness (we are both 35 now and not getting any younger).

To be honest with two tone leather seats it would be a shame to hide the back, I was just hoping to find a pic of factory fitted p.g. on an S3 so I could decide either way.

Neutral

Status
    Depending on what color your car is and where you live tinted windows can be very functional by reducing the temperature inside your car on hot summer days. That's usually my first mod when I buy a car. I haven't had my A3 in the summer yet, but according to other A3 owners the AC is not as effective as in some other cars. If you live in a warmer climate you almost have to get your windows tinted. My car is black with open sky, leather seats, no fun when it's 100F outside.
    Last edited by Tommy1finger; 3rd March 2007 at 22:40.

1st Gear

Status
    I did not spec my car it was a showroom model but it does have factory fitted tints.

I think they are around 300 on the invoice. I would not spec them myself but they don't look too bad.

Steve
    A4 B8 2.0TDi S Line Multitronic

6th Gear

Status
    My A3 has factory fitted tinted glass and i think along with the factory fitted silver mirrors it really sets the car off especially if the car is black

The option is not on the options list for some odd reason though

Status
    It's easy to find a company to tint the windows for you; just ask your Audi dealer. I know of Mercedes dealers who regularly use certain local companies to tint their used cars, where privacy glass wasn't originally specified, and Audi dealers will be the same I'm sure.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a mate who does it for a living, and it is so good that you cannot tell it isn't part of the glass because the edges get filed down etc. and it's a really pro job, but you can scratch it.

I am assuming that the factory fit stuff is actual tinted glass, and although I can only find it on the Sportback price list, it isn't much more than having film applied.