Early 2.0TDI SE's Have Sports Spec...???

emzino

Reaction score
Hi there. I just spotted a A3 2.0TDI SE but it's spec list is as of a Sports?

Now when I called the guy and asked if he'd bought all these optional extras but he said apparently it was standard back then...

Its a 53 plate 2.0TDI SE and has Sports Suspension, ESP & DIS. The only thing that sets it apart is the Wood Trim inside and the 4 spoke multifunction steering wheel...

What do you think the deal is with this?

He's talking rubbish. The sports suspension & DIS were added as options, the SE never came with them as standard. All models have ESP and the wood trim and four spoke wheel is indicative of an SE.

Vertigo1 is spot on - they were all options offered to me when I bought an SE. Of these, I only picked DIS, although I retrofitted a set of 17" Star alloys. Similarly, it's possible to spec up a Sport with the SE options, such as cruise, auto lights and wipers, centre armrest etc.

Ahaaa I see. Nice one thanks guys. Couple more questions please just to get my head around things:

1. It has a 6 disc auto changer. Does it all feed in from the front or does it have the changer in the boot?

2. Can I change the Wood Inlay to the gloss finished one?

3. Do you really get the interior light pack & cruise control as standard with the SE?

4. Whats the official name of the metallic black colour?

5. Whats the official name of the cream leather seats?

media

I have just traded in my 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE DSG and it had some of the items that are included as standard in the Sport spec because I ordered them as options when I ordered it. It had the normal SE spec plus Front Fog Lights and DIS. It also had a 6CD autochanger, acoustic parking system, auto dimming mirrors and the luggage pack which were options on both the SE and the Sport.

In answer to your questions:

1. the 6cd autochanger is mounted in the glovebox.

2. yes you can the the inserts, but it works out quite expensive

3. yes the light pack and cruise control are both part of the SE package

4. the black metallic colour is probably Phantom black pearl effect - code L8

5. the cream leather is probably Vienna leather, beige - code NG.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me h5djr :) Out of curiousity, why did you trade it in?

Im abit worried about the 6cd autochanger in the glovebox because in my dads old 1997 Pug406 SRi, we got it in the boot and everytime we go over a bump or we change CD, it takes AGES to load :( Do you think I'll have the same problems? Does it read mp3 CD's? Is there a front loading CD player at the front as well as the autochanger in the glovebox?

Thank you again for the answers and especially the colour questions. I'll add the codes too to my little word document :) (something I made with everything the car has)

I would think that for 2004, the metallic black would be Ebony Black Pearl, not Phantom, which was introduced in late 2005/early 2006 IIRC

I would think that for 2004, the metallic black would be Ebony Black Pearl, not Phantom, which was introduced in late 2005/early 2006 IIRC
Yes I you're right. I just had a look in an old A3 brochure and it lists Ebony Balck rather than Phantom Black. The code for Ebony Black was 4Z.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me h5djr Out of curiousity, why did you trade it in?

I've traded it in for a new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG Sportback which I collected earlier today. It was 2 years 8 months old and I normally change my cars every 3 years and I was offered a good deal on a new one.

The glovebox mounted CD autochanger did not give any problems and always played all my CDs without any problems and was quick at loading the next CD. It does not play MP3 files though. The SE had the Concert II radio/CD head unit which has a single CD player built in as well.

Ok changed the colour to Ebony Black in my document :)

Oh I see. Did you get good money for it? How much did you have to pay on top? (if you dont mind me asking)

I hope it doesnt give any problems because my dads 406 autochanger is an absolute pain!!! I really do hope we dont have any problems with it. Also, because its in the glovebox, does it that the glovebox is not useable because its taking up all the space?

I really hope that my one has a front loading cd player. It probably does so yay lol. Shame it doesn't play mp3 cds. Does the RNS-E play it? Whats so good about it, I keep reading about the RNS-E...

I'm not convinced there's any difference between Ebony and Phantom, I think they just changed the name. My last car was Ebony and the current one is Phantom and I'm damned if I can tell the difference! :)

My last car was an SE but loaded up with options that were standard on the Sport, such as fogs, DIS & sports seats. This time I've got an S-Line but have added options that are standard on the SE, such as interior light & FCA :)

BTW Dave, where's the "new car" thread? You must have it by now?

BTW Dave, where's the "new car" thread? You must have it by now?

Yes I have the my new Sportback, collected it yesterday morning. As soon as I can take a decent picture I will post it with my views so far. Weather looks good for Saturday so hopefully I will be able to do something over the weekend.

emzino said:
Does the RNS-E play it? Whats so good about it, I keep reading about the RNS-E...
The RNS-E can play a single CD, but you have to eject the navigation DVD, so no nav while playing a CD.

What's really cool about the RNS-E is the two slots at the front for SD cards, on to which you can put MP3s (up to 512 files and folders each).

However, if the A3 you're interested in already has a separate 6CD changer, then good news - this will plug into the RNS-E too, meaning that you can navigation at all times, MP3s playing from the SD card slots and any other audio CDs from the changer :)

Check out http://www.navplus.us for more detailed information about it.

Woohoo sounds fantastic! I'd rather have the SD card then CD's around anyday!
Now, how hard is it to get the RNS-E fitted?