My A3 sold

Steve-L

Reaction score
Sold my A3 yesterday using wewillbuyyourcar.com

Have to say I was impressed with the service, you go on their website put in the car details and they offer you a price, okay you can probably get more privately or on p/x but I had my car on here and autotrader for a week at a price less than most but did not get a single phone call.

Once you agree to the offer they come to you, check the car over and if everything is okay (mine was) then they transfer the money, the funds showed as cleared in my account within 30 minutes. They then take the car away.

Very easy, fast and effecient.

I suppose if your stuck for selling and need to release the cash straight away then this is an option.

However the only winners are wewillbuyyourcar.com.

As an example - I'm about to put up my Leon Cupra R (225) o5 plate 18500 miles for sale. FSH, no damage etc etc.

I thought I'd have a pop at seeing how much they would offer. This was the response from the online offer.

Based on the information you have provided wewillbuyyourcar.com are delighted to offer you

£ 11541

If you wish to take advantage of this offer click 'Sell' now. (This is a 'live' offer price and is subject to change should you decide not to sell your car now).

Alternatively you may save your vehicle details. This allows you to obtain an up to date offer price on your return to wewillbuyyourcar.com without having to re-enter all of your car details. Please note: This offer price will not be saved.

Parkers quote the following

SEAT Leon Cupra R (02-05)
1.8 20V (225ps) 5d 2005/05

Original Price £18,032
Franchised Dealer £16,625
Independent Dealer £15,695
Private Good £14,365
Private Poor £11,440
Part Exchange £13,435

and on Autotrader they are advertised from anywhere between £15000 from a franchised dealer with low mileage and £12500 for above average mileage private seller.

Personally I dont think I could swallow significant difference in the offer.

You're right, they're not in business to make a loss are they? You get a quick effortless sale, but they get the profit.

At the same time though, don't get your hopes up too high based on parkers guide. You car is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. If you stick it on for £14365 and get no takers for a month, then it's obviously not worth that much. You might not even get any takers for £13000. Then again, someone might come along and give you what you want for it without any quibbles on day 1.

Did you ask any dealers what they'd give you for it on p/ex ?
If so,how does the price you got compare with the p/ex offer ?

As mentioned what cars are advertised for on Autotrader and what they go for are 2 different things, my car was on Autotrader for £15,595 and other A3 3.2 of similar age and spec were on for £16K + but in one week no calls.
I was offered £15K part ex but this went down to £14,800 as all four alloys were scuffed. I have always used parkers or glass guide and not once has a dealer offered the value quoted. I also think that when you are spending £14K+ people are a bit wary of buying private as there is no comeback.
I guess you would sell in the end but you could be waiting a while.

r88per said:
Parkers quote the following

The only trouble is that Parkers don`t actually buy cars do they!

I agree with all the above, when I was trying to shift my A3 I couldn`t get anywhere near the guide prices. What people are willing to pay and what people think there cars are worth are completely different.

I totally agree with the above, to be honest I didnt finish the post, someone came in the office and I had to deal with a problem.

I'm under no illusion that in most cases Parkers are inaccurate. Also although a lot of cars are advertised in the Autotrader, they dont necessarily sell for those amounts, (or sell at all for that matter)

What I was going to say / ask is what the part ex price was going to be. But youve answered that already. But you didnt comment on whether that was an option / getting another car or just selling to release the cash.

What I couldnt stomach though, in your case, would be trying to sell the car for £15995, and even being offered £14800 on a part ex - and then accepting an offer way lower. I would just reduce the car to say £500 above what the offer was as a last ditch attempt. But I do understand that sometimes a no quibble quick sale is a good option.

What did they give you for your car? Obviously dont have to answer, but I suppose it would put this thread / post into context.

Personally I dont expect to get anywhere near top book for the Cupra R, or even what people are fishing for on the Autotrader. I intend to put it on the Autotrader, here and maybe Pistonheads and pitch it a little less than most to try and gain a buyer. But as commented above, its only worth what someone will pay.

I have had experiences of advertising and not getting a single phone call, albeit for cars worth a lot less. I've also had the opposite, when I sold my S3 before the advert was even printed in the autotrader, and then recieved over 15 calls for it. More if you include the telesales muppets.

I suppose time will tell, but if I get stuck there'll be a bargain for someone, as I'd rather just drop the price and try and sell it privately for a steal than just hand the profit over to a large company.

:icon_thumright:

I got £14K and paid £17K for it last year from an approved Audi dealership. So I've lost £3K in 10 months, I phoned a few dealers and no one offered me more than £14K. I was not interested in p/x as I will be leasing my next car.
I do not get a company car but my boss has allowed me to lease the car through my company so I can get a good rate and save vat.
It's an Audi A3 2.0T FSI Quattro Sport in Lava Grey (expected delivery date mid May). Its on a 2 year full maintenance lease at £332 per month which is less than the loan I was paying for my 3.2

Steve-L said:
It's an Audi A3 2.0T FSI Quattro Sport in Lava Grey (expected delivery date mid May). Its on a 2 year full maintenance lease at £332 per month which is less than the loan I was paying for my 3.2

That seems a ****** good rate,especially on full maintenance !
Who was that with ?
I'm not having another Audi,but they may do favourable rates or other makes too ?
How about insurance,as I've only had a company car for 20 years now ?
I've been a named driver on the wife's insurance for nearly 10 years now though.

Its with Lloyds TSB but remember my Company has been banking with them for 50 years and we have all our fleet with them so they did me a special deal.
Also I will pay 50% of the VAT so the total will be £360 which is still cheaper than my current loan repayments.

Steve-L said:
I got £14K and paid £17K for it last year from an approved Audi dealership. So I've lost £3K in 10 months, I phoned a few dealers and no one offered me more than £14K. I was not interested in p/x as I will be leasing my next car.

I suppose then it was not that bad really for a quick sale and no hassle. Even advertised on the trader for £15.5k you'd expect to drop a bit, so say £15.2k so a £1.2k drop for no hassle.

I do not get a company car but my boss has allowed me to lease the car through my company so I can get a good rate and save vat.

This seems like a good deal - I've saw quotes on the net for a lot more for similar specced cars.