s3 or not S3?

normski

Reaction score
I am test driving an S3, an A3 2.0TFSI quattro and a 2.0TFSI FWD tomorrow and have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone managed to get a discount on an S3, as this is the only way I am prepared to buy one, the differential between the S3 and 2.0TFSI on price is too much if I can't get it, as I can get £2,300 off the TFSI?

2. The dealer I am going to has a two month old A3 2.0TFSI at a great price and I might go for it if the quattro/extra price doesn't float my boat, but there is a stumbling block....it has the old Symphony with the cassette deck, and I just hate it (call m fickle). Anyone know how much a new model Symphony is cuz the dealer couldn't find a price? I won't be buying the car with the old Symphony in it unless I can change it.

3. Did the old Concert and Symphony play MP3's?

Cheers for your help in advance. And for those getting new motors tomorrow, hope you enjoy your day.

Christ Rich that was quick mate!

Was not even gonna consider buying used until the ******** told me today that the 18" RS4's that were a no cost option on the TFSI ended last week and are no longer available...gutted!

Could get replicas for peanuts but let's face it replicas aren't very good from my recent experiences.

Just looking at that option as you mention it.

I assume that they are relatively cheap (sub £500)? I know the fitting can be a bit fiddly but that wouldn't be an issue as I have a useful mate.

The symphony is a double din unit as far as I know, meanin the RNS-E just replaces it. I've seen on here that guys did this in 30 mins. Unlike my getting out the hacksaw and installing a double din unit n my A4. You should be able to get an RNS-E for around the 400-450 mark from fleabay.

Looks like you have at least 200BHP whatever you choose. I'd make sure you have quattro with this sort of power, it really does make a difference getting the power down. At the end of the day if you cant stretch to the S3, get a Quattro and have it remapped, this should be suitably rapid.

Then retro-fit the RNS-E for maximum savings!

I've just fitted RNS-E, and I can say it really is very easy. Most difficult part for me was removing the old Symphony. If you are going to retro fit make sure you get decent removal keys.

I got £1,000 off my S3, but it was hard work getting it. At the moment dealers seem to have limited allocation and my guess is due to some of the better recent reviews that demand is slightly better than it was. Most dealers couldnt deliver for 8-10 weeks. A couple of the cars on quick delivery were mega spec.

Mine has cost me £28k.

Depending on how you are financing, remember the biggest cost is depreciation. How much would an S3 lose over a couple of years vs the other A3. Looking at finance ballons can sometimes help. The S3 has reasonably good ballons

Thanks for the replies guys, all really useful.

Test drove the S3 and 2.0 TFSI quattro today, once I had been in the S3, I no longer was interested in the 2.0, even though the 2.0 was a good drive and as fast as I would want, the look inside and out, plus the great drive of the S3 won me over.

The only thing troubling me was paying £30,000 and could I justify it over the more somber 2.0. Then the finance guy showed me that I could have the S3 for £26 per month more than the 2.0 over three years, because of the residuals being way stronger, I was elated. It's a no brainer.

Incidentally they estimate (economically) that a £25k specced 2.0TFSI quattro would have a guaranteed value of £8848 after 3 years, whilst the S3 would be £13,175.

Both pretty economic estimates by my reckoning, but I xouldn't understand until then how I could have either car for essentially the same money.

Now what colour do I have........

that's some hefty depriciation!! I thought they usually did 50% after 3 years? that's more like 35%

Exactly what I thought mate to be honest, any where around the high forties.

They are knocking out 3.2 A3's that are now 3 years old at dealers for £14k plus, and I would expect after three years for the 2.0 to still go on a forecourt for nearly that money with this spec.
I really don't think they were trying to blag me into the S3 over the A3, as they knew my mind was made up.

The guy said they like to give an economic quote so that when the car is actually worth a couple of grand more than they quoted you are overjoyed and want to buy another one from them.

Depreciation index's are based on the list price of a car, not one with lots of spec. Also remember they expect your car to be worth more than the balloon.

The S3 has just been revised upwards on RV's by Glasses

My GFV on my agreement for my A3 which cost 25k is 14369 after 3 years

57% RSV!!!!!!

On the same car as yours for the same money yesterday the computer forecast £8848 after 3, thats 34% RSV!!!!

Sounds like you are laughing at the end of 3 years mate.

I am still pretty certain that the S3 after 3 years will be easily north of 50%.