2.0 PD170 engine failures *Warning?*

Beddie

Reaction score
Hiya all...
Just noticed a post over on briskoda about sudden and catastrophic failure to a few PD170 units, apparently due to the oil pump failing and disintergrating...
Have a look at: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/2-0-tdi-170-engine-failure/74145/
Does indeed seem like this engine is cursed with woes imo, poor economy for a diesel, issues with the DPF when remapped (a couple of DPF's have become blocked and caught fire due to this!) and now this..
Hope no-one on here is affected although all cars will be covered by warranty i suppose
HTH

A4Quattro said:
BTW amusing skoda forum name there

I used to think it was started by a bloke called Brian.

Beddie said:
Diesel Particulate Filter mate..

I don't pretend to understand diesels but isn't that the thing that's holding back the 170 remap from various tuners?

rich1068 said:
I don't pretend to understand diesels but isn't that the thing that's holding back the 170 remap from various tuners?

Spot on Rich, perhaps you understand diesels better than you think, you'll be buying one next...lol! :)

jeeez now you tell me - pickin it up on friday!!!!!

Don't worry about it - it's probably already been identified are sorted. If anything like it does happen you'll get a new engine!

I would guess that the tuners problems are related to the DPF. It's a new 'thing' and I think it's still only fitted to the 170 engine. The tuners are probably having to work out how to cope with making an engine produce more power and still have the exhaust cleaned by the DPF. It's the DPF that allows the 170 engine to have straight exhaust pipes.

I've done 5,500 since getting it in October and it hasn't put a foot wrong.

Mpg wise, I get 40 (actual) and that is with driving it quite(erm..very) hard.

rich1068 said:
*cough* coil packs *cough*

And??

That problem was a few years ago and was quickly dealt with by VAG.

[ot] 'Quickly' isn't the word that springs to mind when I think of how VAG dealt with the coil pack issue. [/ot]

When faced with replacing entire engines under warranty I think they'll be fairly quick sorting this problem out.

vagman said:
And??

That problem was a few years ago and was quickly dealt with by VAG.

They only dealt with this when you reported a fault to them, my GTI had a misfire which they then discovered was coil packs, I insisted that they change all of them, as they were only going to change one, so they did!

Audi tended to replace the coil packs when either one failed or when it went in for servicing. Not quite the same situation as a broken engine.

One of the coil packs on my A3 1.8T Sport packed up when I was away for the week-end. An ADT came out in his A6 Allroad and replaced all four in the hotel car park. When the car next went in for service, the service advisor checked on central system and could see that they had already been replaced otherwise they would have done it during the service.