Anyone else get asked this when people see your car?

Irish

Reaction score
Why didn't you get an Audi TT?

I think it's the one question which sums up what type of driver you are.

When you tell them your "A3" was actually more expensive than the TT then that's it, you nearly have to pick them up off the floor.

I've been asked about 10 times now since getting my S3 - anyone else think you can spot the people who buy cars for the badge more than anything else if they ask you the above?

I think the question would be more relevant if Audi offered the same engine/power output in the TT as the S3 but why people assume the TT is a 'better' car is beyond me as it is clearly aimed at a different market. Don't get me wrong I love the new TT and think it has really evolved but can understand your frustration but this is to be expected as the S3 remains 'understated' unless a trained eye - which I guess makes it so appealing. Nice colour BTW :)

**** em lol i know id far rather have the S3 than a tt and thats the important thing

take the next culprit out a blast and show them why you chose the s3 over the tt

surely they should be asking why did you get the s3 over the leon cupra ?
since it has more in common

I don't think it's that hard to see how they can make these comments.
The A3 is generally perceived as the entry level Audi,so it's hard for the man/woman 'on the street' to see how any A3 can cost more than a TT.
I get the same reaction when I tell people my lowly diesel cost £24K.
I have difficulty believing it myself.

bowfer said:
I don't think it's that hard to see how they can make these comments.
The A3 is generally perceived as the entry level Audi,so it's hard for the man/woman 'on the street' to see how any A3 can cost more than a TT.
I get the same reaction when I tell people my lowly diesel cost £24K.
I have difficulty believing it myself.

lol true

hence why i bought for 15k 2nd hand

Don't get me wrong, I think the new TT is lovely looking inside and out but power wise it just wasn't enough for me.

Just something which has been in my mind for a few weeks now!

The motoring public are renowned for being opinionated, but it's still amazing how ignorant many still are.

In 2001 I bought a brand new Puma 1.7, and my workmates immediately took the mick about it being a "hairdresser's car" and the like. It wasn't until a few months later, as we headed back from the pub through country lanes one lunchtime 3-up, that I wasted one of my colleagues in his Passat (not terrific competition, admittedly). After that, plus a few subtle links to some reviews, my car finally started to get the respect it deserved.

I actually get asked if its my dads car or if they bought it. I think in my age group the tt is perceived as a womans car or a middle aged mans car

i disagree - defo not a girl car or older person car i think its more a fashion conscious, designer label-ridden, young persons car (m or f) its understated and nowhere near as posey as a TT (apart from S3 of course)

As far as ppl askin me why i got an A3 (i haven't been asked this yet) but my answer would be very simple - id rather have a top spec A3 than a poverty spec TT or A4/A6 blah blah. My new A3 which i pick up fri has about £6000 worth of options on it - all spent on the inside or functional features - nothing on the outside (excluding 18" wheels which ive seemingly got for free anyway!)

TT: better looking, new hype, the car to have now, niche car
S3: The car to buy when you are looking for speed, handling, discretion, 4 seats and exclusivity

Don't start shouting but the S3 is for the car nuts, the TT is actually the rational choice between the two...

Some nights I still don't believe how I bought the S3 but deep inside I know I want it!!

It's like people asking why have you bought an M3 if you could have bought a 5 Series....

7 out of 10 would have prefer to buy the TT or the 5 Series, Thank god I'm a bit nuts!!! Next year a new M3 might ornament my garage as well....

Logical choice? what is that... you only live once so make your life as colourfull as possible. Ok I admit I might have to buy a sensible car if I start doing more than 20k a year but till then..... I buy with passion! In the end is my money!

Pedro

And as for the entry level Audi comments people might give, at €2K shy of €60 big ones in Ireland I have nothing to feel entry level about.

I could've bought plenty of in your face flash cars for the same money but that's not what I wanted as I'm sure the rest of you understand.

A3simon said:
I think in my age group the tt is perceived as a womans car or a middle aged mans car

I agree.
I know several women who own TT's.
The only bloke I know that owned one (middle aged MD here) got sick of being told he had a 'girl's car' too.(he's now got a BMW).
Like it or not,I can't see how anyone can argue that the TT is PERCEIVED as anything other than a bit of a rich womans/WAG car.
If you're not bothered by that,great.
It wouldn't bother me,up to a point.
I mean,I wouldn't buy a pink Micra convertible...

Irish said:
And as for the entry level Audi comments people might give, at €2K shy of €60 big ones in Ireland I have nothing to feel entry level about.

I could've bought plenty of in your face flash cars for the same money but that's not what I wanted as I'm sure the rest of you understand.

You're confusing perception with reality.
The PERCEPTION is that it's an entry level car,with the REALITY being that it's actually quite an expensive motor.

I would also argue you have bought quite a 'flash' car.
It's certainly not a 'laid back' car !
Whether you agree with it or not,one's car makes a statement about oneself.
Your car makes quite an aggressive "I want to drive fast" statement.
You wanted the most 'bang for your buck',with almost everything else coming second to performance.
If one sees an S3,one doesn't associate it with a gentle driver.
Same as if one sees a Volvo Estate,one doesn't expect it to be driven like a nutter.

My own perception of the S3,which I KNOW people won't agree with,is that it's a bit chavvy...
Sorry,but there you go !
I'd like a faster car too,but performance isn't my god,so I'd probably tone down the performance and go for more practicality and comfort at the same time.

I agree with most of what you say but how an S3 looks chavvy I dunno.

The only way you could come up with that is because you see someone rough driving one and I really, really doubt anyone who fits that description could afford to insure an S3 never mind own the car.

simon what age are you?

i get the same reaction sometimes - is that your dads car at my age (just 22)

Irish said:
I agree with most of what you say but how an S3 looks chavvy I dunno.

The only way you could come up with that is because you see someone rough driving one and I really, really doubt anyone who fits that description could afford to insure an S3 never mind own the car.

It's not just the looks.

The perception maybe comes from the fact that,in my experience,most S3 owners are young and most seem to want to add what I would call 'chav' modifications,such as dark glass/loud exhausts etc.

IMO,that just makes them like any other young chav Saxo/Corsa owner,but a (good) bit richer !

Then again,the perception people will (probably) have of me,when they find out I drive a diesel,is that I want economy above all else and drive gently to get it.
A 'tightwad',if you like.
I accept that,I have no problem with it.
They're wrong,but I can't change their perception.

So bowfer don't say a S3 looks chav, you might say instead that some S3 look chav because their owners do such modifications...

I really don't think the S3 comes factory fitted with chav looks... but then again I bought one...
Then if you think the S3 is chavvy than we have to extend that to all A3, at least the S Lines, the exterior differences between them are so subtle...

Pedro

Well I think you'd think that about any car once those type of mods are fitted but in Ireland there is not even 20 S3s in the country and 99% of them would be left alone and 99.9% of them would be owned by people 30+ due to insurance costs and VRT inflating the price. I might be younger at 25 but can assure you there is no desire to mod the car. I think you're tarring people who want S3s and people in their 20s all a bit too much with the same brush.

I bought the car due to power and to have something rare as hen's teeth in this country.

I doubt it differs too much to the UK either TBH.

Boydie said:
simon what age are you?

i get the same reaction sometimes - is that your dads car at my age (just 22)

Im 24 the girl friend still gets asked after 7 months of owning it if its my car. Even tough i drive both my mums TT sport and dads A6 Sline they must think my dad has two cars.

Have to agree with Bowfer the S3 seems not so much chav but rather boy racer although most of its competition is the same. Also anyone can buy a fast new car nowadays what with finance and willingness to pay high insurance. 60 thousand euro or £40k for an S3 is extortionate and i cant even imagine its good enough to justify that

i modded my car :happy: looks wise you can hardly tell, sound wise no difference, performance wise quite abit quicker, but Im no chav! I bought some alloys for it, but when it arrived I decided the car looked better with the standard rims so flogged the alloys on without even fitting them!

The S3 is far from chav, its a sleeper type car, its only when its in a rear view mirror does it frighten drivers out the way with its aggressive front styling...

I've not once been asked that tbh.

I do get asked why I didn't buy an A4 quite frequently, though god knows why. There seems to be an automatic assumption that the A4 is superior to the A3.

The other one I've been asked a few times, on telling people that my car cost nearly £27k, is why I didn't buy an S3. They don't seem to be able to get their heads around the fact that mine was £27k because it's full of options whereas the S3 is £27 without any options :)

Never been asked that question but if i were i'd just tell them i traded in my TT for a better car :yes: which is the truth.

klauster said:
The S3 is far from chav, its a sleeper type car, its only when its in a rear view mirror does it frighten drivers out the way with its aggressive front styling...

So you can forgive people for perceiving that the S3 is an aggressive car for aggressive drivers.
I know the S3 isn't exactly styled like an Evo,but it is an outwardly aggressive car.
More aggressive than my lilac 5 door anyway... ;-)
I just don't like outwardly aggressive looking cars,as I do think they look chav/boy racer (not much difference in my book).
I like to drive fast,but I don't like to look like I do,if you get my drift !
I almost prefer the 'blimey,he can make that car shift' reaction that comes with thrashing my humble little motor,whereas it's expected of an S3.

The TT however,used to look all cute and cuddly and curvy.
It was completely 'non-threatening',so women (like the woman across the road from me) bought one without even thinking that it could be fast.
It will be interesting to see how women react to the new one,as it's certainly a bit less 'cuddly' in the styling.

That's fine!

I have the same feeling as supersport bikes like yours... Very aggressive looking and an extreme machine. They all seem like they came from a fast and furious theme... and the noise they make! Can scare anyone...

I must say i like the elegance of a Ducati though...

Pedro

I hope you have not modded your bike with an akrapovic / yoshimura exhaust... then again you drive a diesel... might not be your thing... ;)

newbiecrg said:
I hope you have not modded your bike with an akrapovic / yoshimura exhaust... then again you drive a diesel... might not be your thing... ;)

Now there's a thing !
No,I absolutely DETEST noisy exhausts on bikes or cars.
My bike comes with an optional Yoshi can,but it's never been out of the box.
I like to go about my business quietly,not announce my presence to all and sundry for miles !

The exhaust you can see in my sig photo is road legal.

Ditto bowfer, out of 5 mates who ride bikes 1 has a honda sp 1 with loud blue flame exhausts on it and you can gaurantee he will get pulled by police.
Absolutely no need for them dont make bike any faster just agravates joe public.

I have been asked a similar question - Wouldn't you prefer a TT?

My answer is simple. No, I want 4 comfortable seats. The TT only has 2.

bowfer said:
So you can forgive people for perceiving that the S3 is an aggressive car for aggressive drivers.
I know the S3 isn't exactly styled like an Evo,but it is an outwardly aggressive car.
More aggressive than my lilac 5 door anyway... ;-)
I just don't like outwardly aggressive looking cars,as I do think they look chav/boy racer (not much difference in my book).
I like to drive fast,but I don't like to look like I do,if you get my drift !
I almost prefer the 'blimey,he can make that car shift' reaction that comes with thrashing my humble little motor,whereas it's expected of an S3.

The TT however,used to look all cute and cuddly and curvy.
It was completely 'non-threatening',so women (like the woman across the road from me) bought one without even thinking that it could be fast.
It will be interesting to see how women react to the new one,as it's certainly a bit less 'cuddly' in the styling.

I hear what you are saying, I think you would be hard pushed to find a 'Fast' car that has more subtle styling then the S3 though.... I dont think ive seen a car (in factory form) that goes as well as an S3 and looks less aggressive....

h5djr said:
I have been asked a similar question - Wouldn't you prefer a TT?

My answer is simple. No, I want 4 comfortable seats. The TT only has 2.

The comment isn't quite as applicable to your motor though David,as you probably wouldn't get much of a TT for the price of yours.
No offence,I'm sure you know what I mean.
The "blimey,you could have got a TT" comment is far more understandable from people when dealing with a £27K S3.
I must admit,I tend to agree with the 'ignorant masses' when it comes to the S3.
It may be fast,but it's a helluva lot of money for an A3...

Personally,I'd rather have a BMW Alpina D3 (Alpina stickers off !).
Fast enough for me,economical at the same time,4 doors and plenty of room for 4 people.
Then again,most people would say "BMW w&nker" as I drove past,coz that's the perception they have to suffer !

Irish said:

I think it's the one question which sums up what type of driver you are.

When you tell them your "A3" was actually more expensive than the TT then that's it, you nearly have to pick them up off the floor.

I've been asked about 10 times now since getting my S3 - anyone else think you can spot the people who buy cars for the badge more than anything else if they ask you the above?

Not been asked that question yet, as very few people at work know I'm getting a new 8P S3. But I can understand why people have asked you.

They obviously view the TT as more desireable and maybe nicer looking, and for the same money as an S3 - which they may never have heard of.

When I got my 8L S3 nearly 5 years ago, people couldn't believe that I spent £23K (personal import, £26K UK price at the time) on what was (to them) just another A3. Some people couldn't even distinguish it from a normal A3. That is a good thing, its great surprising people with performance. :)

So then, like now, the TT and S3 appeal to different people. I would say, the TT probably appeals to the more style-concious of people. People who perhaps WANT to be seen. The S3 is probably bought by people who want an all-rounder, but a bit more up-market car and understated exclusivity.

The problem will be, the TT maybe exclusive now, but in 6-12 months time, there will be loads of them on the road. We know that as A3/S3 drivers.

I can see why some people have said the new S3 is "chavvy". Its probably because of the more agressive nose. But Audi want to project itself as a sporty brand. Whereas the 8L S3, was less agressive, yet still more chunky and muscular looking (flared arches, stronger hip-line).

But the new S3 is still the LEAST chavvy car of the "hot hatch" genre.

AL

AL_B said:
I can see why some people have said the new S3 is "chavvy". Its probably because of the more agressive nose. But Audi want to project itself as a sporty brand. Whereas the 8L S3, was less agressive, yet still more chunky and muscular looking (flared arches, stronger hip-line).

But the new S3 is still the LEAST chavvy car of the "hot hatch" genre.

AL

The fact a lot of S3 photos were taken in a ****** awful orange didn't help.
Sorry,but they'd be as well painting it in Burberry checks as that.

Irish said:

Define rough looking!

bowfer said:
The fact a lot of S3 photos were taken in a ****** awful orange didn't help.
Sorry,but they'd be as well painting it in Burberry checks as that.

Agree with you there. :) But you may well have kicked off a colour debate again now. :(

Well people can ask me if I would prefer the new TT and my answer is "been there seen it done it". My S3 replaces a new shape TT. TTLAW has also done the same.

Guess I'm a 40+ year old chav. Still at least I have not stooped to the depths of owning a Porsche yet - now that I couldnt stand the image of owning. Happy to drive an overpriced A3 or girls TT instead, or even my old Astra VXR. Cant be associated with my mates the local estate agents in their Boxsters and 911's.

The comment isn't quite as applicable to your motor though David,as you probably wouldn't get much of a TT for the price of yours.
No offence,I'm sure you know what I mean.

No offence taken, but there is not that much different between the prices for a 2.0TFSI TT Coupe and my new A3 Sportback - if you spec in DSG on both cars they come out at £26,025 for the TT and £23,065 for the A3 and most of my friends and colleagues know I would not object to paying out another £2960 if it was really the car I wanted. But it's not. Even if the cost did not come into it and I had to choose between just two cars, a TT or an A3 I would choose the A3 ever time. Even my humble A3.

h5djr said:
No offence taken, but there is not that much different between the prices for a 2.0TFSI TT Coupe and my new A3 Sportback - if you spec in DSG on both cars they come out at £26,025 for the TT and £23,065 for the A3 and most of my friends and colleagues know I would not object to paying out another £2960 if it was really the car I wanted. But it's not. Even if the cost did not come into it and I had to choose between just two cars, a TT or an A3 I would choose the A3 ever time. Even my humble A3.

£3k's a fair difference though David.
It's outwith my (ok,company's) budget,so it would be an easy argument for me..."can't afford one !"

I'm with you though,I simply wouldn't have a TT under any circumstances.
They hold no appeal to me at all,good car or not.

Define rough looking J?

I suppose it depends on the person really!

I have a blade one all over and you certainly wouldn't think I had nicked my S3.

Some people wear stuff to look rough, others grow stuff to look rough !