Anyone else get asked this when people see your car?

Wow what a read that was

TT and S3 are both great cars...they got four ring on the front:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

They both go for 2 different markets

If I didn't have kids I would go for S3 all day over TT, If I was in TT market I would have a Cayman or Boxster

S and even RS too a point sum up Audi...Under stated!

They are not about look at me in my flash fast car..They are very much under stated..

Take S4 and M3 you can spot a M3 miles away, but got to be close to an S4

Even my RS I was parked next to a 2.5tdi with boot spoiler...looked much the same from a distance.

S3 is great and all lucky to have one, old and new are both great

I know for one thing there will be 100's more TT on the road then S3
Smaller market for S3 better residials

IMO you can post pictures of kitted up A3s next to S3s all day long.

It proves little.

Park a kitted up A4 beside an RS4 with the standard wheels and joe soap will say it's an A4 with wide arches and silver mirrors - the exact same argument we are all tossing out here over the S3.

That's the way Audi do it - subtle.

There's very few cars out there that I'd want over an RS4 and if the average joe thinks it's an A4 that's their own problem !

I agree, if I wanted something with a sign saying "look at me" I would have gone to Evo/Impreza squad or for instance a Megane RS/ Leon Cupra, etc, etc

Pedro

Irish said:
There's very few cars out there that I'd want over an RS4 and if the average joe thinks it's an A4 that's their own problem !

Said the bloke that gets annoyed when people think his car is 'just' any old A3...

;-)

vagman said:
Many current TT owners are previous S3 drivers.

What Car Depreciation Index after 3 years.

S3: 47%
TT 3.2 S-tronic: 61%

There are many TT owners that are previous S3 drivers, but Ive yet to see an 8P S3 driver swap to a TT, whereas on here there are already 2 MK2 TT drivers that have upgraded to the S3.

What Cars depreciation index isnt upto much when it comes to low volume cars. CAP for example have just uped the S3's figures. The initial figures tend to be based on guess work. As another example my S3 has a Guaranteed Value on finance above the 47% quoted above. I wouldnt however argue that today the TT has a great RV. I do however wonder in 3 years with Audi doubling the capacity of the factory if the market will be swamped with TT's.

Volume of cars does not equate to desirability. Ferraris sell in small numbers the Fiesta in hundreds of thousands. Which one is more desirable?

The S3 will always be made in small numbers, that factory is limiting output. My local dealer has no S3's left to sell. It occupies a small niche where there are not many people with £30k to spend on a hatchback. Many want the pose value of the TT to show for their £30k- dont blame them.

However in the future the S3 will as with the old S3 do very well on second hand market. Apart from the Impreza and EVO, there are no other cars with a touch of class that have 4wd, 260+bhp and will be easy to tune. No doubt there will be a lot of blinged up S3's in years to come, but there will be many more TT's if the MK1 is anything to go by.

I dont think the S3 is a better car than the TT overall. The S3 suits a driver more and the TT someone that probably wants a better pose in a great suit. The TT is a damn good car and one I enjoyed owning. IF they had put S3's engine in the TT I would probably have one, but as they dont have a performance TT yet I had to buy an S3.

Irish said:

Who cars what Joe public Thinks....It is your car and you bought for enjoyment not others

Did you buy the S3 hoping for some amazing WOW factor and for everyone to say WOW your so cool you drive an S3??

Irish said:
IMO you can post pictures of kitted up A3s next to S3s all day long.

It proves little.

You guys are totally missing the point! Wasn't this thread about the perception of the new TT against the S3?

I posted side by side pics just show just how similar the cars look, especially where Mr 'Why didn't you buy a TT?' is concerned. There are far more A3's on the road than TT's, to most people the S3 looks the same as a 1.6 S-Line, just another reason why the TT is more desirable to these people.

And btw, those pics I posted were not of 'kitted up A3's' at all. My car had the official votex car fitted, and the next pics were of bog standard S-Lines that you can now order with 1.6 engines.

Irish, it was you who even started the thread?

bowfer said:
Said the bloke that gets annoyed when people think his car is 'just' any old A3...

;-)

I think you must be confusing me with someone else, I never said that at all.

Marmite, I think you should read the thread again, it's about the appeal of a TT compared to an S3.

This is all getting a bit silly now...

Yes look at the sales figures....shows the A3 we are talking about the S3.

And before anyone starts saying I'm being defensive about my car choice or I have to convince myself etc well I dont!

But for anyone that thinks a 1.6 S-Line looks anywhere near like a S3 then they must be blind if they can't notice the differences....even my mam can and she does not drive and has no interest in cars!

Anyway Iv'e said my piece and so has everyone else i believe and nobodys opinions look like changing so it may be time to lock this thread up and start one about which is the fastest colour.....

We have not had one like that for a while!

JamS3 said:
But for anyone that thinks a 1.6 S-Line looks anywhere near like a S3 then they must be blind if they can't notice the differences!

That's nonsense.
You're only saying that with the benefit of knowledge.
Without that knowledge,it's perfectly understandable for someone not to notice the difference.
Some people are lucky if they can tell the make/type of a car,never mind what actual model it is within that range...

There'll be scientists out there that would **** themselves laughing at us confusing one amoeba with another.
Doesn't make us blind,just not particularly interested or knowledgable.

Bowfer thats true

I meant to say people with knowledge or enthusiasts like people on this site.

That why there has been much passing of messages between me and Mark!

JamS3 said:
This is all getting a bit silly now...

Yes look at the sales figures....shows the A3 we are talking about the S3.

right, and to the average joe they look the same like I've already proven.

I'm slightly bemused we're still going over this cause pretty much every S3 owner has already said S cars are subtle. And to me that's the answer to this whole debate as to why people in general would rather have a 'look at me' sports coupe.

Yes I know the S3 has subtle differences from an S-Line. I know the rear valance is tiny bit different and it has chrome strips on the grille etc but these differences are so minor that only people like us on this board will spot them, and even then I can guarantee I would not know the difference between an S-Line and an S3 if I were following one unless I got up close.

I'd say the difference between an S-Line and S3 are the same as the visual difference between S-Line and non S-line. 'Sublte' is most definitley the right word.

newbiecrg said:
Off course you would know, Mark! The S3 would be leading the two of them!! :)

Pedro

Well....I've taken on blokes in an S3 and an S4 in the past few months,and beat them in my oil-burner (oil burner x 2 actually,diesel and engine oil unfortunately).
Admittedly,it was a mega twisty road where it was all about balls on the brakes and corners though.

So....NA NA NA-NA NAAAAAA !

Take it they were ***** drivers then?

Hey bowfer, the car doesn't teach them how to drive ;)

Anyway, in normal conditions (not modded) the S3 should be fast that any A3 TDI (not modded), in any type of road, be it motorway, b-road or race track...

Off course, part depends on the driver, but no doubts about the fastest car here... :)

Pedro

normski said:
Take it they were ***** drivers then?
Either that or they weren't trying. It's a common claim around car internet forums, and usually goes along the lines of "I wasted a 911 in my 1.2 Nova".

Driver ability, confidence and knowledge of the road you're travelling on is worth a lot of horsepower, metaphorically-speaking, which is why Bowfer's TDI was able to lose the S3 and S4. But we all know if it was the same driver in each car, the petrol-powered models would lead the way.

As for the S3/S-Line debate, it's like I said in my earlier post - the motoring public are surprisingly ignorant. And in this sense, assuming that S3 owners don't want to stand out from the crowd, they'd probably be happy that most people think their cars are more common S-Line models.

benw123 said:
As for the S3/S-Line debate, it's like I said in my earlier post - the motoring public are surprisingly ignorant. And in this sense, assuming that S3 owners don't want to stand out from the crowd, they'd probably be happy that most people think their cars are more common S-Line models.

Hit the nail on the head, my old S3 and my new S3 half of the apppeal is the fact that they are a bit Q car(ish!). To the untrained eye no one bats an eyelid, and for me personally that's great. Less likely to be targeted by thieves or vandals.
The other half of the appeal is the performance, the old S3, though it never really set the road on fire had enough grunt to pop a smile on your face when you wanted to. My new one, well I can't answer that yet.... i'm behaving my self running it in!!!

As for the topic, well the bottom line is it's an A3 I guess (to the untrained eye again!), so people will be surprised at how much it costs (and let's face it, it is an exspensive car for a hatch back!), it's all about perception - as some have said, basic A3's are advertised from what, £15-16k, TT's start at £23-24k and have the coupe looks to add the perception of 'expensive'.

BUT - it's whatever rocks your boat, for me (and I toyed with the new TT) the S3 offers Q car appeal, performance balanced with luxery, 5 seats and practicality of swollowing a mountian bike or snowboard bag when needed.
V6 still sounded better though!!!