Gave in and bought an RNS-E !

Still got to find mine, but struggling to see what I need to do on the GPS antenna.

I have the sharksfin on my car, but std Chorus headunit. I know I will probably need a new Antenna, but do I also need to run a new cable. If so, where does it go to?

José said:
Retrofitting is trully a temptation. I'll be glad to give 750-1000 euros for a RNS-E, it's a more realistic price than 3000 euros... The only question for me is the use of vag, erasing the errors and introducing wheel size, etc. I have been searching here and in navplus and it still lacks a fully detailed topic with the installation. Some of us have bose, others don't, or BT, and it seems to change a little. I'm dumb, I need everything step by step:)
I just want what everybody wants, to install it without problems... After the arrival of the S3 in may, and when these things are sort out, maybe then I become a potencial buyer. If you know good sellers of RNS-E, feel free to advise us!
Being in portugal, things can't fail...

I've recently done this, have a read here for more info.....

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4623

Chins said:
Still got to find mine, but struggling to see what I need to do on the GPS antenna.

I have the sharksfin on my car, but std Chorus headunit. I know I will probably need a new Antenna, but do I also need to run a new cable. If so, where does it go to?

My GPS antenna is mounted under the dash next to the left hand heater vent. I regularly see between 4 and 7 satellites which is good enough for navigation. I'd like to go down the "swop the sharkfin" route, but I'd like to know how to get the headlining off at the rear of the cabin without breaking anything!!!

This ebay seller hasn't been selling them for weeks! I want one!:thumbsup:

Ta johnS3, just a tad worried about parting with £450 and sending it to Lithuania!

JohnS3 said:
My GPS antenna is mounted under the dash next to the left hand heater vent. I regularly see between 4 and 7 satellites which is good enough for navigation. I'd like to go down the "swop the sharkfin" route, but I'd like to know how to get the headlining off at the rear of the cabin without breaking anything!!!
Check out my RNS-E thread (in my signature below). I've got a tax disc holder fitted to the windscreen which also has a GPS receiver inside it, and I get up to 8 satellites constantly - very pleased with it!

sat1983

I got mine from the same seller as johnS3 and had no probs either!

He has excellent feedback and sells a lot of them.

JamS3 said:
sat1983

I got mine from the same seller as johnS3 and had no probs either!

He has excellent feedback and sells a lot of them.

What about an adapter? As Ive got BOSE.

The BOSE wire only needs moving from one pin to another on the current wiring harness, no adapter needed.

I'm sure JohnS3's posts on the links he has given above describe this.

No adapter needed, you just move the pins in the existing quadlock connecter. Have a read through my posts on Navplus. If you don't feel confident then ask CraigyB to do the install for you. He is THE RNS guru....

Well today my DVD started to pack it in!

It was only a copy but the unit said there was an error and that was pretty much it.

I really don't wanna give Audi €300+ for it :-(

cheers for that mate, snapped that up as soon as I saw it.

I don't think TMC is available here so the dealers will probably tell me to go and ***** but at least I have a genuine disc for a fraction of the price now!

Tell me - with a RNS-E, is it possible to load speed camera location information and you own Points of Interest.

Ah, that old chestnut!! It's been asked many times, but sadly it can't be done.

Irish said:
Well today my DVD started to pack it in!

It was only a copy but the unit said there was an error and that was pretty much it.

I really don't wanna give Audi €300+ for it :-(
Read your post below that you've bought a genuine DVD, but copies are usually okay. Mine threw up a couple of errors a few months ago but just eject the DVD and replace it - usually goes away after that.

JohnS3 said:
Ah, that old chestnut!! It's been asked many times, but sadly it can't be done.
'Tis true unfortunately. Although the bright sparks on navplus.us are working with some people to try and decompile the RNS-E software to see what, if anything, can be changed. I work as a software developer and the things they're doing are well beyond me - it's pretty advanced stuff!

The latest research indicates that using a Sat-Nav screen in any way whilst driving is as dangerous as using a mobile phone and that we should all rely on the voice instructions alone. Pehaps one day the visual screen with maps will disappear all together when actually driving and will only be used for initial input.

h5djr said:
The latest research indicates that using a Sat-Nav screen in any way whilst driving is as dangerous as using a mobile phone and that we should all rely on the voice instructions alone. Pehaps one day the visual screen with maps will disappear all together when actually driving and will only be used for initial input.
I can well believe that. After retrofitting my RNS-E, the novelty was such that I was looking at it all the time. But after a while you look at it less and less, and of course the nav instructions appear in DIS so it's only a quick glance as if you were monitoring your speed.

Does the RNS-E give voice instructions as well as the indicators in the DIS?

Yes indeed. The nice lady keeps you well informed when using route guidance, as does the DIS. You can of course turn her volume off and keep listening to the music!

Yeah, looks like topsatnav has nothing for now... I'm really going to buy one of these, let's wait.

José said:
Yeah, looks like topsatnav has nothing for now... I'm really going to buy one of these, let's wait.
Send him a message through eBay and ask when he'll next be putting an item on for sale, and he can advise you when. You'll also be able to check postage to Portugal.

You're right, let's see what he says. What came up in my mind is that with this market of RNS-E, having one could be dangerous to our car... It has a code, but maybe that could be solved. The RNS-E hasn't a removable front panel... It's a flashy thing in the dash to get nicked.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's a lot of hassle to rob a built in unit like that, not exactly a smash and grab type of thing.

Jose

Try nikin777 on ebay, myself and JohnS3 have bought for him with no problems and the units that were sent were 2006 models in excellent condition!

Hes in Lithuania so is closer to you for postage!