So whos gettin a new A3 on March the 1st?

cjp2k

Reaction score
Well after ordering my car in december and been given mrd week of march for delivery, my dealer rang me on friday saying its at there prep centre and will be ready for the 1st... only thing is I cant take the day off so dont think I can pick up till the 3rd :sadlike:

So whos getting there cars on the new reg??:arco:

Chris

I shall be collecting my new Sportback at 11.00 on Thursday morning. I called in and had a look at it a couple of weeks ago just after it had been given it's PDI.

It won't be a new 07 registration though - in fact it will be exactly the same registration number as my existing car and my last 7 cars !

I leave you to guess the number.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of UK registrations, but do you have to register is as on 07 first, then arrange with the DVLA to do a transfer of H5DJR to it?

I presume it needs an 07 plate so that when you sell it you have a plate to put back on it? We don't have a registration transfer system over here, so I'm not sure how it works with you.

It can be done that way or the way I'm doing mine. I applied some weeks ago for what is called a Certificate of Retention for my number. The DVLA send me this certificate together with details of the registration number to put on my existing car. This number relates to it's age so mine will be an 04 number. I then give this Certificate of Retention to the dealer and they can then register the new car with my personal number. When I come to sell it in say three years time the DVLA will issue a brand new number to it. This new number will again be age related, and therefore be an 07 number.

It costs £105 to get the Certificate of Retention which includes £80 to transfer my existing number onto the new vehicle.

I have actually 'owned' my existing number since the DVLA first allowed you to reserve a new number back in 1991. My number is H5DJR and my wife has a matching number H5JHR on the Polo. Each one was purchased direct from the DVLA for £230 which included the first £80 transfer fee. I also have a Honda Scooter with the number H5DRX.

h5djr said:
I also have a Honda Scooter with the number H5DRX.

Bought when your name was David Xylophone ?

;-)

I find the personal plate thing a right pain sometimes.
Not the procedure,just the fact you've to pay £105 every bleeding time you sell/buy a car.
Friggin rip off,innit ?
We've easily spent twice what we spent on the actual plates (wife and I) on transfers,easily.

I never trade-in the wife's cars,so I always have to put her plate on retention before I can sell it privately.
They always give me back the plate it first came on,which at least means I can use the plates the dealer supplied.
I then have to go through the hassle of getting her private plate onto her new car,which can take weeks.
The cost/hassle is offset by the better deals I get selling privately/buying with no p/ex though,so I shouldn't really complain.

I just wish the wife would do it all once though,just to see the grief involved.

Bought when your name was David Xylophone ?

Never really thought of it like that!. No, I only have the the one christian name and to buy a plate with just DR on would be rather expensive. Too many rich doctors around. So the first plate was DJR as in Dave and Jenny Robinson. The DRX on the scooter was one of the only H5-DR? left (not too many people with a surname beginning with X) so I decided to have that. I have always regretted that my parents didn't give me a middle name - it would have made it so much easier. But then my older brother has only one christian name as well, John, and he was born on 1st March - St Davids Day, but that's another story!

It's quite interesting when I go to the dealers to collect my new car. There are always two cars in their car park with the same number! I have several photos of the two together. I don't bother to change the plates myself, I just give them the details showing it's replacement number and they change the plates.

I have my private plates spaced illegally.
(my name if Balfour,and I have B4LFO).
Legal font and size though.
Never had any grief,touch wood.

My neighbour has a short private reg on his Range Rover,but he's actually cut the plate down.
So great big plate space,tiny plate.
It looks really,really silly.
Far sillier than a legal size plate with his short reg in the middle.
I know for a fact he's been stopped for it too.
Then you get the 'Saxo' numpties that use stupid fonts.....

I can only assume the legal size and font of my plate means the coppers turn a blind eye to the spacing ?

I don't have any dealer details on the plates either,which is illegal too.
The guy that made them up for me made me sign a disclaimer !

Mine's coming in a lorry on the 1st.
Scheduled for 10am delivery..... it's going to be a long few ays till Thursday!

Bowfer - I have often wondered what your real name was - what's your christian name or would you prefer not to say?

I agree about the cost of changing the number over each time, but it's not too much compared with the cost to change the car.

I hate to see plates in so called fancy type face or shorter than a normal plate. It just looks silly to me. I can accept your type of plate where only the spacing has been changed. I also don't like to see cars with the smaller motorcycle plates on. Presumably if anyone with illegal plates get stopped for any reason or goes through a 'speed' camera they may do them for the plates as well. If we had the same system as, for example Germany where I think the authorites issue the plates it would stop a lot of the problems. You don't see illegal plates on German cars and of course there plates are the person and not the car, so they are automatically transferred between vehicles. The only time they have to change their number is if they move house, as their plates are also tied to where they live.

I think the best German plate I've seen was S (for Stuttgart)-EX 69

Don't suppose there's any harm !
It's Andy.
My user name is a nickname myself and my brother were given as youngsters,mainly because people seem to have an incredibly hard time saying 'Balfour',so one of the most common attempts was "Bowfer".
I really wanted 'B4LFR',but it was gone,so B4LFO it is !

I tell you something about private plates.
I reckon they actually make you a more considerate driver !
I'm always aware of the fact that my plate is easily remembered !

The wife's car is T30 LOR.
Her name is Lorraine and she was given it as a present on her 30th Birthday.

Her plate was £230 Incl £80 fee from DVLA
Mine was £450,ditto the above.

With regard to the best plate I've seen.
I've seen AUD 1 on an Audi and I've got my photo taken next to Steve Parish's Merc with PEN1S.
He also has PEN15 on another motor.

The police have tried to do him under the obscene publications act !!!

Anyway,enjoy the new motor.

With regard to the best plate I've seen.
I've seen AUD 1 on an Audi and I've got my photo taken next to Steve Parish's Merc with PEN1S.
He also has PEN15 on another motor.

When I used to work in Bedford I used to see a car with the number PEN1S quite often. The was also one on a Prosche 911 that belonged to a local accountant, TAX 5

Nope but I am getting a z4 coupe sport on the 6th of March. Although it wont have my private plate on it as I can't get it off in time :(

J.

Picking my A3 sportback TDI Sline 170 on thursday 10am bought a plate from dvla SPO7BAK already seen car with plate looks cool

Well I have been to dealers this afternoon to have a look, And I love it... just wish I had gone for 18s... the 17s look too small!!:wtf:

One thing I didnt notice, I had a quick look at the back of the car (parked next to wall) and I cant remember seeing the parking sensors.. What happens if they are not there???

Heres a pic I took on my phone... lol

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.perry/pics/audi.jpeg

Chris

Not quite 1st March cos I am at work all day.
On Sat 3rd March at 8.30 I'll be going to pick up my new S3.
As you can imagine, I am quite looking forward to it!!

prt57

Boo hoo. Sniff. :sadlike: I've still got a month to go before my specc'd up S3 rocket even gets built let alone arrives in the UK. Sob. :crying: Sniff.

Been today to see mine and get the paperwork sorted - A3 Sportback. Not picking it up until the 2nd; can't wait!

h5djr said:
It's quite interesting when I go to the dealers to collect my new car. There are always two cars in their car park with the same number! I have several photos of the two together.

Me too - just realised after I posted this one that you can't see the plate on the old red one :faint:

Best 'replacement' was at a motorway service station when my new limited edition panther black Puma arrived on the back of a transporter and my old panther back Puma departed on same, after a quick swop - drew a small crowd :happy:

oldnewnq9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I remember px'ing a BMW 530 Sport thru a dealer in Scotland for another model virtually the same but newer and higher spec a few years back. Due to the distance we agreed to do the swop at Scratchwood services on the M1 on the Sunday lunchtime. I must say we got some very strange looks with two near identical cars on the same private plate next to each other as i inspected the unseen car prior to the swop over. Fortunately the car was exactly as advertised and the delivery driver just allowed me to take my time and liberate items such as manual and fire extinguisher before beginning the long journey home to Scotland. Certain one of us was driving illegally!

motorbikez said:
Picking my A3 sportback TDI Sline 170 on thursday 10am bought a plate from dvla SPO7BAK already seen car with plate looks cool

Each to their own,but I've never understood why anyone would go for a 'car specific' plate.
I know a bloke that used to have CL10 on a Williams Clio,
That looked really good,but he now has it on a 4x4,so it looks daft.
I also know a bloke that used to drive Volvo S40's all the time,so he had S40 in his private plate.
He drives a Vectra now,so it looks daft again.

Seems to me it's the motorin equivalent of getting a girl's name tattooed on your arm...

;-0

ANNANBHOY said:
getting rid of mine !!! thank god

This time next year,I'll be in the same boat.
I bet this year takes ages to go past...

Doesn't help that I torture myself by test driving replacements already.
I would imagine it's like going to meet a mistress,then going home to the wife.

bowfer said:
This time next year,I'll be in the same boat.
I bet this year takes ages to go past...

Doesn't help that I torture myself by test driving replacements already.
I would imagine it's like going to meet a mistress,then going home to the wife.

exactly mate ! was thinking about my new car last summer and deciding what i wanted ! it was torture lol

Oh aye,I remember now.
I'm afraid I'm not as forgiving as you,so the chance of me giving Audi another chance is slim/none.

As the thread seems to have been hijacked already ;)

I went for the private plate D7VE B and have it spaced as typed. I've been pulled once and had to put the old plate back on, go to an MOT station yada yada yada. Absolute pain in the **** considering it is the legal font, colour etc. Not like some of the awful looking and blatatenly unreadable ones I see knocking about.

In reference to the car specific ones, I'm not normally to keen but I am tempted to put a 'PUG' plate on my 205 GTI.....if I find one cheap enough!

simple answer - don't mis-space your plate then

I should add,my rear plate is spaced legally.
It's my front plate that is spaced illegally.
That may go some way to explaining why I haven't been pulled....yet.

bowfer said:
Each to their own,but I've never understood why anyone would go for a 'car specific' plate.
I know a bloke that used to have CL10 on a Williams Clio,
That looked really good,but he now has it on a 4x4,so it looks daft.
I also know a bloke that used to drive Volvo S40's all the time,so he had S40 in his private plate.
He drives a Vectra now,so it looks daft again.

Seems to me it's the motorin equivalent of getting a girl's name tattooed on your arm...

;-0[/quote Exactly to each his own I personaly wouldn,t be seen dead with a number which spelt my name but obviously you like it so thats ok init

motorbikez said:
Exactly to each his own I personaly wouldn,t be seen dead with a number which spelt my name but obviously you like it so thats ok init

I'm with you on this one. I don't get the appeal of personal plates myself (but obviously there are many who do). But the silliest thing of all in my view is the plate that doesn't spell someone's name. I'm talking about those excruciatingly contrived near-miss (sometimes not so near) plates that smack of trying a bit too hard, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and to return to the original subject of the thread, to all of you who are about to collect your new cars, I hope you all enjoy them.

steve184 said:
simple answer - don't mis-space your plate then

I disagree, exactly how am I harming anyone? Its perfectly readable. I recognise that there has to be a rule to stop people defacing their plates but any plod that stops someone for having two letters 2cm further to the left than 'regulation' needs their head seeing to. They should be knicking true criminals.

jdp1962 said:
I'm with you on this one. I don't get the appeal of personal plates myself (but obviously there are many who do). But the silliest thing of all in my view is the plate that doesn't spell someone's name. I'm talking about those excruciatingly contrived near-miss (sometimes not so near) plates that smack of trying a bit too hard, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and to return to the original subject of the thread, to all of you who are about to collect your new cars, I hope you all enjoy them.

Ditto :)

well its the rules - obey them or suffer the consequences simple as. we all have to follow the same rules so why are there a minority of people who think... oh i'm ok to break the rules its only a couple of cms... but there are valid reasons for having plates the size and spacing and typefaces they are in

I do tend to agree but why do we have plates to those particular rules. Presumably so they can be read easily by speed and number plate recognition cameras. But only us law abiding drivers register our cars properly so we are the only ones who can be traced.

I wonder what would happen if a high percentage of the motoring public decided one day to remove both front and rear numbers plates and drive without any. There would not be enough traffic police to catch everyone as most of them have been replaced by cameras and all the cameras in the country would be useless. Just a thought!