Removing suspension help (pics)

mjepson

Reaction score
I was trying to remove the suspension at the front to fit new springs, but stumbled upon some problems.

I got the lower bolt out without to much trouble, but the top bolt wont come loose cause i can't hold it on the other side. The rod (don't know what its called) is on the other side of this bolt. I have marked it on the third pic with a question mark.

Does anybody know how to remove this bolt?

Click HERE to see the pages from the electronic workshop manual in connection with the front suspension struts.

Hope this helps.

thats the anti-roll bar link, try hitting it with a hammer (as if you were fitting it as opposed to removing it) as the part with the thread on is tapered.

Thanks for the elsa pdf...

but this doesn't exactly tell me how to unscrew the bolt:

Unscrew top hexagon nut for coupling
rod -arrow- from suspension strut.

I will try hitting it with a hammer although i don't understand what you mean about it being tapered

its a balljoint, it has a threaded portion and a tapered portion, see this picture...

The tighter the nut is the more the shaft is pulled into its housing

try clamping the joint tight with a pair of grips or something, i use some plumbers grips to hold the joint tight while i undo the nut

I think you will find if you look at the head of the bolt where it comes through the nut there will be either a torx or allen head inside the protruding bolt, this is to stop it spinning while you undo the nut with a spanner

use a spanner to undo the nut and use a TX bit to hold the drop link in place, this will stop the joint spinning

I found this very nice instrution on the seat site... for anybody else on here who are going to change. Almost the same as A3.

How to Replace Seat Ibiza Rear Shock Absorbers: Changing rear shock absorbers on a Seat Ibiza Mk4 is surprisingly easy for the home mechanic. This guide shows you how.
How to Replace Seat Ibiza Front Shock Absorbers: Changing the front shock absorbers on a Seat Ibiza Mk4 is a different matter - possible for the home mechanic but only just. This guide shows you how I did it.