DIS Radio and Clock problem

cathaloneill

Reaction score
Parked the car up last night at 10pm and radio, DIS and clock were ok. After starting up this morning the radio is displaying "SAFE" and not working the clock is completely out and showing a date 02/08/06 and the DIS has completely reset itself.

It is due in for a service next wednesday so i have not contacted the dealer yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Eeef said:
I'd guess your battery was on the verge of going flat?
SAFE appears if the battery power was disconnected to the stereo. It may not be a flat battery - assuming everything else powers up okay - but more likely a poor connection somewhere behind the stereo.

Also note that to use the stereo again, you will have to enter the code printed on the inside page of your stereo handbook.

but that doesn't explain the clock. If it is a dodgy connection looks like it's in a more 'central' place. Have you checked your battery terminals are tight?

In my Symphony II manual it says that once the unit is 'paired' with the car, you don't need to enter the code again - 'convenience security' or something like that.

If that's the case and the word SAFE has come up on the display, then it might suggest something more serious, as if the unit thinks it's in a different car or something?

the battery terminals are all secure and it started on the first turn. went into the dealers last night after work but they were not willing to have a look at it. will have to wait until wednesday.

AlexStanley said:
In my Symphony II manual it says that once the unit is 'paired' with the car, you don't need to enter the code again - 'convenience security' or something like that.

If that's the case and the word SAFE has come up on the display, then it might suggest something more serious, as if the unit thinks it's in a different car or something?
I'm not sure if that's true. When retrofitting my RNS-E unit into my Sportback, I deliberately checked the code for the Symphony II by unplugging all the connectors, then hooking them up again 30 seconds later to test it. Sure enough, the word "SAFE" appeared on the display and then you have to enter the code.

Weird thing is I have since disconnected the RNS-E before after a failed software upgrade, and it didn't ask for the code again, so perhaps some of the Audi units differ.

actually you're right. It 'pairs' with the car and a unique id that it gets via the canbus. I took my old stereo out (concertII) and put it back in and never asked me for the code.