Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    You jest surely ?
    Either that, or you don't understand good design or style ?

Just take a look in the car parks of any firm of architects or industrial designers, and you will find they are riddled with Audis !

You've kind of summed it up by saying "industrial designers" as,IMO,most Audis have the styling flare of an industrial unit.
    Sorry,but it's true.
    There's no flare to them at all.
    These blokes you talk of would probably rather buy a Marks and Spencer cardigan then a designer one,"because it's functional".
    If functional is your bag,great !

Look at Top Gear just a few weeks back.
    Take a panel of designers/artists that know about flare and they all,to a man,went for the Alfa Brera.
    Not one went for the new TT,based on design alone.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

2. # ADS
    ADS

In pure design terms, then in my opinion, the A3 is streets ahead of the Astra. The A3 is good subtle design both inside and out and the Astra is not. I have never been in an Alfa but I would agree that latest 159 is also a good exterior design.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    You've kind of summed it up by saying "industrial designers" as,IMO,most Audis have the styling flare of an industrial unit.
    I think you have just confirmed that you don't understand what good design is all about !

Put it this way, I don't think that the Astra, or indeed any other Vauxhall would score very highly on the 'Kristan Scott-Thomas test' !! But the A3 definitely would.

I was talking about pure design terms.
    I don't tend to like 'safe' designs though,which is why the 3 door Astra and Honda Civic and Alfa 159 appeals to me.
    In pure design terms, then in my opinion, the A3 is streets ahead of the Astra. The A3 is good subtle design both inside and out and the Astra is not. I have never been in an Alfa but I would agree that latest 159 is also a good exterior design.

Design is a thing that we could discuss for hours and never all agree. Some people prefer subtle safe designs, others prefer more 'adventuruos' designs. Most of the architects I used to work with all, like me, preferred the more subtle designs.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    id rather have bland and boring car with decent depriciation , than cars with with flare and money holding capability compared to a bucket with a hole in it. cough *alfa* cough

look what design flare has done for bmw.
    Last edited by a3guy; 26th February 2007 at 12:18.
    A3-SLINE 2.0 TDI DSG , phantom black,full leather, cruise control, heated seats, RNS-E audi navigation, bose, auto dipping wing mirrors, interior light pack, auto rain sensors and dipping mirror.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr

Design is a thing that we could discuss for hours and never all agree. Some people prefer subtle safe designs, others prefer more 'adventuruos' designs. Most of the architects I used to work with all, like me, preferred the more subtle designs.
    As an architect myself and an A3 driver, I would definately subscribe to the 'less is more' camp - To me Audi's are a clasically designed car which in design terms will stand the test of time long after your Alfa's etc look dated. You just have to look at the few old audi 80's etc on the road - they still look good even today.
    Just my opinion!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt25
    To me Audi's are a clasically designed car
    Have you seen a Q7? Hardly a classic design.......
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburger
    Have you seen a Q7? Hardly a classic design.......
    Have to agree, but then again name me a 4x4 that looks good?

1st Gear

Status
    Just dropped my A3 off at the dealer for them to look at something on it for me.... They loaned me a A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line DSG Brand New only 300 miles on clock..... Very nice car , Leather , BOSE, and boy does it shift.........

Just goes to proof the quickest car you can have is a loan car !!!!!!!
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt25
    Have to agree, but then again name me a 4x4 that looks good?
    Land Rover series 1.
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12