Warranty Length? 2 or 3 yrs?

grebowski

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the warranty is on the A3

I have an '05 reg 8P is it a 2 or 3 year warranty?
My car has full main dealer service history and has covered around 25,000 miles
The paperwork I have says 2 year manufactured warranty, 3yr retailer warranty!?

Im sure this has been mentioned before, I've had a search but can't find anything!

Grebowski,

Technically its a 3 yr warranty. As far as I'm aware the manafacturer gives a 2yr warranty which is then backed up by another year by the UK dealers.

3 years or 60000 miles which ever comes first, is that standard Audi (VAG) warranty.

Its 3 years Audi will write to you about a month before expiry inviting you to take an extended warranty through your dealer.Just before you ask I shredded paperwork as I'm picking up my new Sportback 170 Tdi S Line on 1st March

JamS3

When you say the 3rd year is backed by the dealer, does this mean that the dealer foots the bill for warranty repairs? if so, I'm guessing that any claims in the 3rd year will be very closely looked at by the dealer to avoid paying!?

apparently if you buy one in germany you only get a 2 year warranty - so because all cars sold in this country have a 3 year warranty the dealers top it up to 3 years otherwise selling what is marketed as a 'premium' product with only 2 year warranty amongst all the other 3 year warrantied cars would be difficult.

Grebowski

Iv'e never had any problems in the 3rd year, suppose it depends on the massive difference between the dealer network!

The 3rd year is only for Audi UK supplied cars, its not a comprehensive as the first 2 years.

So for an Audi UK supplied car via a franchised dealer

2 years from date of registration unlimited mileage warranty
3 years from date of registration or upto 60,000 extended warranty

Non UK franchised dealer cars only get the 2 years from date of registration unlimited mileage warranty.

You can purchase an equivalent extended warranty if your car was supplied via a non franchised / import source

Chris.

Chris.

I asked this same question of Audi UK Customer services last year to get an answer from the horses mouth so to speak. Answer received from Andy Gwilliam, Customer Service Manager, Audi UK:

"In answer to your query regarding the warranty applied to your vehicle,
the reason why your documentation may show a different warranty period is
due to the fact that all new Audis leaving the factory are given a
two-year unlimited mileage warranty, by the manufacturer.

In the interests of Audi UK remaining competitive in the UK marketplace,
we provide a third-year limited mileage extension at our own expense.

For this reason, generic documentation will show a warranty period of two
years, whereas documentation which is produced by Audi UK for the UK
market will show a three-year, 60,000 mile warranty period.

I can confirm that the cover during the third year is identical to that
within the first two, the only difference being that cover lapses when the
vehicle has covered 60,000 miles."

The sentence "In the interests of Audi UK remaining competitive in the UK marketplace, we provide a third-year limited mileage extension at our own expense" implies to me that years 1 and 2 are backed by the manufacturer and year 3 is back by Audi UK, NOT the dealers.

Can you bring you car back under warranty after the 3 period expires.

If you so are you only offered an extension as soon as the manufacturer warranty runs out or can you for example bring the car back under warranty in say year 4, 5, 6 etc?

I think you can but an Audi warranty whenever, I looked in to it, but they are REALLY expensive!!!!
Try warranty direct.

You can purchase extra years warranty, one year at a time, direct from Audi or you can buy a very similar warranty from Warranty Direct. It's quite a bit cheaper through Warranty Direct and the cover is the same.

Before I decided to change my current A3, which will be 3 years old in July, I contacted Warranty Direct (www.warrantydirect.co.uk) and they quoted me £380 for another year.

I have never been quite sure if the 3rd year of the warranty was provided by Audi UK or by the dealer. It's nice to see confirmation that it is provided by Audi UK.

From the current price list PDF:
Audi Customer Care

Every new Audi benefits from the comprehensive Audi Customer Care Package, which comprises:
  • A 3-year Audi warranty, which covers you for unlimited mileage in the first 2 years of ownership, with a full mechanical and electrical warranty which covers you for up to 60,000 miles in the 3rd year
  • A 3-year paint warranty
  • A 12-year anti-corrosion warranty
  • Up to 3 years’ UK roadside assistance and recovery.
This package, together with Audi variable Service intervals, offers a combination unmatched by any other major manufacturer. Contact your Audi Centre for full details.

Cheers everyone for the quick replies!, I knew I'd come the right place for a definative answer.