Anyone bought a Forge FMIC

A3simon

Reaction score
i dont know about the a3 but my mate bought a forge FMIC for his mk3 ibiza cupra 1.8t

it was an easy-ish fit and looked awesome through the grill and performed very well

however the support brakets did snap!! but this was instantly replaced by forge with no hassle and i think posting costs were reinbursed

wouldnt put me off forge - id consider buying off them if the made a upgraded FMIC for the 2.0tdi

Lowering the intake temps is a good thing, and will see a power gain, but to take advantage of this you are going to need the boost pressure increased, what are your plans for this?

Chris.

No, your remap is designed for a standard intercooler. An intercooler reduces the temprature of the intake charge, which will produce more power, however the main reason for reducing the temprature of the intake charge is to offset the start of detination. So if you reduce the intake temps you will gain a few bhp, but if you combine this with a boost upgrade then you will see significant gains.

I am no longer a modifier, but if it where my money I would only combine this type of mod with, bigger turbos, strengthened and lightened internals etc, but I would also have a 300 + bhp figure as a planned target.

Hope this helps

Chris.

DPM said:
You'll still be running higher boost with a remap though.

agreed, thats where the power gain comes from with a turbo remap, but it will be within the safe levels for the factory intercooler, not the safe levels for the upgraded intercooler.

You will also see a gain if you just fit the upgraded intercooler, so in the middle of summer your engine will feel like it did in the middle of winter with the standard intercooler.

Chris.

you may have to go back to whoever remapped your car and get them to fine tune it to accomodate the FMIC

are you planning in getting an exhaust? if so, wait until then and get it mapped again with the FMIC and exhaust and you will get better gains and it will be healthier for your car!

A3simon said:
So it is worth it then
£750, for a small gain, when you compair your chip which gave 40 bhp for £300 - £400 makes it look expensive, so on its own I would say no. But as part of a further plan to upgrade performace, i.e. possible engine internals, and a further boost upgrade, it may even become an essential to prevent detonation.

Chris.

even with just a FMIC, full system exhaust (turbo back), down pipe, some sort of forced air induction, dump valve, with a custom remap for these mods you should see an increase of maybe 45-55bhp

will be expensive but you will have a very fast and efficient a3!

At the moment it has 253bhp thanks to AMD custom remap, Cat back milltek, Forge DV, K&N panel filter and carbonio cold air feed. Im considering the turbo back exhaust but that is all the mods im doing all i want to know is will it have a negative effect fitting it i.e. will it cause any problems not whether people think its alot of money

A3simon said:
At the moment it has 253bhp thanks to AMD custom remap, Cat back milltek, Forge DV, K&N panel filter and carbonio cold air feed. Im considering the turbo back exhaust but that is all the mods im doing all i want to know is will it have a negative effect fitting it i.e. will it cause any problems not whether people think its alot of money

No only a positive effect. As I said in my previous post, if you fit this intercooler, your intake charge will have the same temps in summer as a standard intercooler will have in winter.

Chris.