18s or 19s

B

Boydie

hey guys

deadline now, have to get wheels sorted and i have decided on BBS CH

now the hard part...18" or 19"?

i can get the 19s at a very decent price, tyres included for around £1300

but im afraid they will look too big and the ride comfort will be shocking on 235/35's and FK coilovers..opinions?

i am allowed 2" from standard free from my insurance so the 19s are not a problem insurance wise

another thing, i know the sump on the a3 is quite low, so winding down the coilovers on 18s will it scrub the deck on the back roads? a least with the 19s i would have that little bit extra clearance

anyone got pics of CH's on their A3?

there is a silver 8L on here that has them in 18 which originally got me thinking about what size

all help appreciated

18s or 19s on this?
i think 19s

066.jpg

Defo 19s thats what im getting. Is your car quattro or not as if it is then you cant wind it down that much as the shafts rub

no its not quattro :(

but the car will not be "decked" just a nice comfortable ride height!

CH's were ordered yesterday for an excellent price

i recommend dealing with MS Tuning in Tilbury and speak to a guy Warren. very very dead on and easily beat down in price :yes:

What tyres are you getting for that price as thats a ridiculously low price

for wheels only and deliverd it cost £875 for 8x19" CH

i havent yet decided on what tyres to go for

i checked out mytyres.co.uk and some of their prices for 235/35/R19 tyres are rediculously low

eg £383.80 delivered for Federal tyres

i had these on my clio and i prefered them to my T1-R toyos i had before

but i can get Nokian NYR 235/35/R19 for £410 fitted from my local dealer - who my neighbour happens to be his daughter ;)

ill be shopping around more though to see what tyres tickle my fancy - i know the last thing car wise you should skimp on is tyres but im not a fast reckless driver, after something just below mid range!

they said 3-4 working days

i phoned on thursday round 3.30 so i guess they had the order away maybe friday latest

hoping for wednesday this week! tyres on saturday!

lets just hope my coilovers arrive sometime this week too!!

I have had a lot of experience in wheel tyre change/testing, In my opinion, forget 235 35 19's, the optimum tyre in 19" for the 8P is 225 35 19", this has the same rolling radius as the 225 40 18" tyre (Within 1.6mm), so gearing and drag should not be effected in anyway.

By going 235 35's you will be increasing the rolling radius, OK not by much but with the extra width, it would not be as agile as using a 225 35.

Also, if you can stick with a 7.5" wide rim, not easy I know with 19" rims but worth looking into, but otehr than this 8" is the max you should go.

What is the reason for going with only 7.5? That would look silly :)

The wider the better in handling terms. I also specified 225s for mine they are 8'' wide and i just think they look better than 235s

Boydie im hopefully getting mine ordered in March so fingers crossed i dont have to wait to long

yeah - i might phone the guys 2moro to see if they have a tracking number so i can see where my babies are lol

ill look into the 225's myself :D

mjepson said:
What is the reason for going with only 7.5? That would look silly :)

Your right, it would look silly with a 235 tyre, but on a 225 tyre it would look no different than the normal 225 on an 18" rim.

Audi specify 7.5 on the A3 and 8" for the A4 due to the way the cars handle, ride etc.

By sticking to the 7.5" rim, you have less chance of upseting the already excellent handling. But the chances of getting a 19" wheel with a 7.5" width is remote.

If 8" was better, the A3 would have it as standard.

A3simon said:
The wider the better in handling terms.

Not strictly true, you have to take into account the whole package and the consequences of going too wide.