Just Noticed A Revision @ 54 Plate...

emzino

Reaction score
Hey. I was flicking through autotrader trying to find the right car in my budget. I thought to myself, lemme see what more money could get me but I noticed something different...

The first thing that got me was the steering wheel, it's different then previous 8P models and the front grill too.

So far i've just been able to notice that the chrome around the outside of the front grill covers the whole thing and the steering wheel is different...

I worked out that this all kicked in at 54 plated A3's but what I wanted to know was, what else has changed?

The new grille first appeared on the Sportback, introduced in 2004. The 3 door was later facelifted to add the new grille. I'm not sure if the steering wheel changed at the same time.

That's pretty much it for changes. Many other bits and pieces have changed during the lifetime of the car but all at different times and not coinciding with the new grille.

'many other bits and pieces have changed' - such as......?

Aha I see. Think I may have made a mistake. I think the revisions came in at 05-55 plate instead hehe. Sorry =/

steve184 said:
'many other bits and pieces have changed' - such as......?

I'm curious to this also. Now does it mean that say cars made between 05plate > 56plate are better made i.e. using better/improved parts then the cars made between 03 > 04?

For example, if you was going to buy a 2.0TDI, what year would you most avoid?

Are they changes vital. So much so that it is much better getting an A3 with the updates to them?
Can the updates be applied to the previous 8P models such as the DIS etc?

The sportback only ever had the new grill/steering wheel.

For the 3dr, the changes kicked in in week 22 when the model year changes so you'll see a few late 05 plates but certainly from 55 plate onwards they would have the new grill/wheel combo.

Prior too this (for cars delivered 01/03 >)the DSG changed as well from the old 'corrugated' gaiter to the newer leather gaiter. The DIS also gained the current gear indicator so even when in D it showed the gear selected.

They changed the steering column stalks at some point. The newer ones are more "sculpted" than the old, plus the wiper intermittent/sensitivity switch used to be a lever on top of the stalk and is now a roller embedded in it.

The sidelight/headlight indicator also used to be in the speedo dial and is now on the switch itself (I hate this - much preferred it in the instrument binnacle).

The wipers have changed, the original cars had the blade mounted kind of "to the side" of the wiper arms whereas now they're in line with them which looks smoother.

Err, I'm struggling now... :)

It will be interesting for me when I collect my new Sportback on 1st March to compare it with my existing July 2004 model and pick up all the 'little' changes that have happened over the past 2+ years.

I agree that the deleting of the 'light on' symbol from the instruments is not a good thing. They have always had the various warning lights around the lighting switch but the lights on symbol was always very useful, especially with the auto-lights function.

Most of the 'little' changes I've seen so far I like apart from the 'lights on' symbol and the steering wheel boss. When I had a look at my new car at the dealers yesterday I did notice that the 3-spoke steering wheel is now a 'part-perforated' leather wheel which should be better in hot weather. The S-tronic gear lever certainly looks a lot better and I like the appearance of the new Symphony III. I also like the look of the new 17" 16-spoke wheels.

on the automatic the suround around the gearstick is slightly different...

oh so h5djr - your week 4 build car has turned up has it? i'm still waiting for my dealer to phone me - mine also built week 4 DSG 170 TDI

bit annoyed about the light going out of the instrument cluster - i kinda liked this - the more lights the better! lol why do they change things like this that simply aren't justified in any way shape or form?

i'm hoping the perforated steering wheel wil be a little less harsh to touch in the winter too with the reduced surface area

h5djr said:
When I had a look at my new car at the dealers yesterday I did notice that the 3-spoke steering wheel is now a 'part-perforated' leather wheel which should be better in hot weather.
Ok now I'm lost.

You've ordered an SE right? The SE comes with a 4-spoke wheel as standard whilst the Sport gets a 3-spoke one which is part-perforated on the S-Line.

According to the price list, you can't get a 3-spoke wheel on the SE even as an option, the only options listed are the 4-spoke multi-function one and the multi-function with gear change paddles, which I presume is what you've ordered as you're having DSG. Neither of these options mention part-perforated leather btw, though this could be an omission.

I'm baffled as to how you've ended up with an SE with a 3-spoke wheel tbh. Out of interest, did you notice if the gear knob was part-perforated leather too, as it is on the S-Line?

Ok now I'm lost.

You've ordered an SE right? The SE comes with a 4-spoke wheel as standard whilst the Sport gets a 3-spoke one which is part-perforated on the S-Line.

I've ordered an SE but with S-tronic (DSG) therefore all A3s with the S-tronic come with a '3-spoke leather with gear change controls' rather than the normal SE 4-spoke wheel. My existing A3 with DSG has a 3-spoke sports leather wheel as standard. The current price list lists '6-speed S tronic with 3-spoke leather steering wheel with gear change paddles' in the Transmissions section. But no mention of 'part-perforated'. I was not aware I was getting a this but that is what's fitted - perhaps they ran out of normal 3-spoke wheels and decided to fit a part-perforated or perhaps the standard spec has changed. Perhaps it's another 'freebie' to go with the folding mirrors than I did'nt order!

I didn't notice the the leather on the gear knob - I'll let you know on the 1st March.

I'll also have a look into the parts catalogue I have to see if that throws any light as its fully up-to-date with all the latest items like the Concert and Symphony III etc.

h5djr said:
I've ordered an SE but with S-tronic (DSG) therefore all A3s with the S-tronic come with a '3-spoke leather with gear change controls' rather than the normal SE 4-spoke wheel. My existing A3 with DSG has a 3-spoke sports leather wheel as standard. The current price list lists '6-speed S tronic with 3-spoke leather steering wheel with gear change paddles' in the Transmissions section.
This is what's confusing me. The current price list does indeed have a "3-spoke leather with gear-change controls (tiptronic models only)" and a "3-spoke leather multi-function with gear-change controls, incorporating audio controls". Obviously the first is for tiptronic rather than DSG so not applicable but both of these say they're only available on the Sport and S-Line (only the latter on S-Line).

The only two wheels shown as options for the SE are the "4-spoke leather multi-function, incorporating audio controls" and the "4-spoke leather multi-function with gear-change controls, incorporating audio controls". I'd have presumed the latter of these is what you'd get on an SE with DSG.

I don't doubt your word that the car has a 3-spoke wheel but, according to the price list, this isn't possible, nor is perforated leather. The wheel sounds exactly like an S-Line one - you didn't happen to notice if it had a badge at the bottom of the middle spoke, did you?

If you look HERE you will see the item I am talking about in the price list. This is a 'standard' item with the s-tronic gearbox. The other wheels you mention are 'options'.

I've just looked at the parts catalogue and if gives me no further information about the 'part-perforated'

There was no 'S-Line' badge on the wheel at all. When I collect the car I'll post a photo of the wheel.

Ah right, with you now. Damn that price list is confusing! :)

BTW you'll love the part perforated leather, it's so much nicer to hold than the solid leather one I used to have plus hopefully it won't get as shiny and slippery as the old one did after three years.

all sports have perforated leather 3 spoke steering wheels now - i had a 1.6 sport 55 plater as a courtesy car a while back and that had part perforated new style (ie not round middle) 3 spoke steering wheel... so sorry s-line boys it isn't just specific to you! :p