Going back to single DIN?

Mandala

Reaction score
quote from another thread

PJLarge said:
I have all the parts needed to convert from double din back to single din if you go for it. That is climate unit, cage, switch facia and cup holder. I swapped it all out when I put in a navi unit. Let me know if you're interested in taking it off my hands.

Is all this really necessary to go from double to single DIN? On other cars I've had it was possible to put a 'pocket' in and just slot the single DIN stereo in above it. Obviously it won't have the OEM look but when I come to sell the car on in the future I'd just stick the OEM double din unit back in place.

anyone???? could do with a few ideas on this before I give up the idea of A3 ownership.....:keule:

I guess someone might make a facia panel, but the problem is that it will never look quite right - I can't see the plastics matching Audi's at all. Even on my 106GTI, I added an Alpine stereo and bought an Autoleads trim panel as the standard Peugeot stereo is an odd size. It looks OK, but out of place. I'd imagine it would look 100 times worse against the dash of an Audi.

BTW, I've put the stuff on ebay, so it might not cost you that much to do the swap. People usually want to go from single to double din, so you'd probably be able to sell your parts and make it a no cost swap.

Single DIN aftermarket although I'm now reconsidering the whole idea.

I wouldn't have thought a pocket and fascia adaptor would look all that bad but you can never tell till you get it in there. The one thing I wouldn't want to do is convert it to OEM single DIN spec.