Insurance + Remap

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
Guys,

I have just declared my remap to my insurer (Privilege) they have charged me about £88 for the 6 months left on the policy, the excess however has jumped from around £250 to £700! :(

For those that have remaps, how awkward is it come renewal time to get a good quote and do they levy a big excess on you?

Thanks

Had my S3 with Adrian Flux fully comp for £450 with £250xs...

All mods declared (2 A4 pages) - including chip, cats, exhaust, wheels, brakes, dampers, springs, spacers, intercoolers, DV, tiebars and so on.

Some companies are much more willing to accept cars from the outset modded, but few seem keen to add mods on half way though.

d3fy said:
I have just declared my remap to my insurer (Privilege) they have charged me about £88 for the 6 months left on the policy, the excess however has jumped from around £250 to £700! :(

That increase is a touch high but the excess is ridiculous. Privilege are probably just giving you a subtle hint that they want you to go away. Come renewal time try Chris Knott or as DavidR says Adrian Flux.

I'm actually renewing at the moment so I can throw some Chris Knott (Highway) figures at you. Obviously circumstances are all different and my insurance is always on the high side but just to give you an idea.

Lease vehicle (ie I'm the registered keeper, not the owner), only me insured to drive, business use (18K per year), SP50, parked on the street, full NCD... standard car £625 with a £300 excess, mapped car £715 with a £350 excess. As I said, mine is always high because of the mileage, business use etc etc but the increase isn't out of all reason. Direct Line were near as damn it the same figures.

well i always have probs with most insurers every year come renewal with my last audi.... some class factory fitted options as 'modifications' which is ridiculous and add 200 quid just cos its got xeonons, leather, foldy mirrors, auto lights, bose, blah blah blah

Adrian flux are very fair though they don't charge extra

Are Chris Knott and Adrian Flux pretty competitive for everyday non-modded cars? Mines due this time next month, started lookin at quotes again and it doesn't seem to have changed since last year, and I've got an extra NCB!

Mine's due for renewal at the beginning of March. Got the figures through from Admiral (current insurer) and it's actually cheaper this time than it was originally when the car was standard! They've quoted me £419 fully comp, protected no-claims, hire car, legal cover etc etc with all mods declared.

I didn't bother with Flux, they stung a mate of mine for £500 without sending the renewal letter to him. When challenged they just said 'you should have had the letter. If you didn't, that's not our fault'!

well joost your mate is a pillock then - not having the letter is absolutely no excuse - he should know when his insurance is due so he should either do something about it or leave it and let it renew automatically... all car insurance renews automatically unless otherwise told by yourself - you can't blame adrian flux for that - i have been with them for 7 years (out of 10 in total driving) and they have been flawless with me.

To be honest Steve, I can see where you're coming from on this one.

Unfortunately,that was just one of many problems he had with Flux (with the 4 policies he had with them). If I was to go into every detail, we'd be here all day. I was merely stating a fact.

I'm not having a go at Flux nor am I trying to apportion blame, apologies if that's how my post read. I realise there are probably hundreds, nay thousands of people out there who have had years of trouble free service from them of which you are obviously one. I thought the idea of a forum was to exchange views, experiences and knowledge with like-minded enthusiasts/individuals - this was all I intended. I agree that he was foolish in not remembering that the insurance was due but there's no need to call him a pillock!

derailed1.jpg

:)

Sorry d3fy...:sorry: I did get a quote from Flux last year when mine was standard but TBH, it wasn't much different to the mainstream insurers.

fair enough.... still tho... if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.... with car ownership you gotta be on the ball - if not then just don't bother - again thats my opinion

Adrian Flux have insurer my last 2 modded cars with no issues, they charged me an extra £100 on the policy for ther remap and spacers i added.

It's possible you could with a few of them. They usually have some 'agree to the following statements' section that includes stating the car's right hand drive and not modified in any way. Some just let you go through the whole quote online then tell you to ring them at the end on a national rate number!

BTW, I also tried Performance Direct for a quote - they were the closest to Admiral's renewal figure.