Chris NottAH Fabrications

Thread: Oil Cap query

Neutral

Status

Oil Cap query

I have a 1.6 audi sport which has been regularly serviced

However when i took the oil cap off the over day there was white gunk underneath the cap?

Is this normal?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    White gunk or "mayo" is a sign of oil contamination. In the best case it could just be a bit of condensation, in the worst a blown head gasket. How much was there? Was it just on the cap?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    thats what i thought, but the car was only serviced at the beginning of the month, surely audi would have picked up on it?

The car seems to run fine so i don't think it's the head gasket as it would run lumpy

There was a resonable amount on the cap about a penny sized drop i should have got a picture

Worth taking the car back to audi and see what they say

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    100% take it back to Audi dealer, without delay, before you car is a steaming breakdown.

Don't expect lumpy running, you may just have a leak between oil and water, but the compression seal is still good, but the damage is water contaminated oil which will not protect your engine.

The head gasket can go at any time so it might have been fine when the car was serviced.

Chris.

PS fingers crossed it nothing.

Neutral

Status
    thanks for the reply, hopefully if i drop into my dealers in the morning someone can take a look at it, hopefully it's nothing, the car is a 53 plate on 18k

S6 avant

Status
    could be just condensation in rocker cover mixing with the film of oil , seen it before on cars this time of year. if there is loads everywhere its more serious!
    2000 s6 avant, special order met, green, satnav, Bose, tv, solar roof, privacy glass, recaro silver nappa.

5th Gear

Status
    I had it on mine the other week - **** myself when I saw it. Was told by a mechanic mate it was probably condensation - short runs in winter.
    Justin

2001 VW Golf 2.3 V5 (170) Highline, Indigo Blue - standard, for now...

A4 (B5) SE with a few slight amendments here and there (sold)

Neutral

Status
    thats better news to me, I do all my own mechanical work usually, but I refuse to touch this car as we have a years warrenty and 2 years servicing parts and labour, so when i checked the oil cap the other day I was a bit shocked to see what white gunk,

S55 LKS

Status
    The dealer should be able to perform a sniff test or something pretty quickly to confirm whether its a problem or not.
    2004 1.9TDi A4 Avant Sport, GmbH bodykit, DPM Remap, Fishscale Alu trim, RNS-E