Oil Cap query

sworks16

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 audi sport which has been regularly serviced

However when i took the oil cap off the over day there was white gunk underneath the cap?

Is this normal?

White gunk or "mayo" is a sign of oil contamination. In the best case it could just be a bit of condensation, in the worst a blown head gasket. How much was there? Was it just on the cap?

thats what i thought, but the car was only serviced at the beginning of the month, surely audi would have picked up on it?

The car seems to run fine so i don't think it's the head gasket as it would run lumpy

There was a resonable amount on the cap about a penny sized drop i should have got a picture

Worth taking the car back to audi and see what they say

100% take it back to Audi dealer, without delay, before you car is a steaming breakdown.

Don't expect lumpy running, you may just have a leak between oil and water, but the compression seal is still good, but the damage is water contaminated oil which will not protect your engine.

The head gasket can go at any time so it might have been fine when the car was serviced.

Chris.

PS fingers crossed it nothing.

thanks for the reply, hopefully if i drop into my dealers in the morning someone can take a look at it, hopefully it's nothing, the car is a 53 plate on 18k

could be just condensation in rocker cover mixing with the film of oil , seen it before on cars this time of year. if there is loads everywhere its more serious!

I had it on mine the other week - **** myself when I saw it. Was told by a mechanic mate it was probably condensation - short runs in winter.

thats better news to me, I do all my own mechanical work usually, but I refuse to touch this car as we have a years warrenty and 2 years servicing parts and labour, so when i checked the oil cap the other day I was a bit shocked to see what white gunk,

The dealer should be able to perform a sniff test or something pretty quickly to confirm whether its a problem or not.