Newbie questions for '07 A3 RNS-E and Bluetooth

verschuur

Reaction score
Hi,

my company finally decided last week I can get a company car. I'm looking for a compact (single and living in the city...) car, with a bit of power and not to basic in options. After looking at BMW 1-series (ugly and the 2.0 sucks), the Volvo C30 (T5 nice, but way to small and impractical inside), Golf GTI 5 dr and Audi A3 2.0T 3 dr with the 'Ambition' package.

I'm still undecided between the GTI and the A3. The Golf is a more common car although they've managed to make and the feel the GTI different from a 'normal' Golf. It's a bit sportier than the A3, but also a bit more 'ricer', and I feel it might be a car that gets 'old' once the initial buzz is over. The A3 is a more stylish car, but it doesn't have the same instant appeal as the GTI. The 1.6 and 2.0T are engine apart basically the same in looks and features, in that context the A3 might be a bit more 'boring' but one that better for a long term ownership (lease contract is max 4 year). Of course feel free to add your own opinions...

Over the weekend I've been browsing a lot of A3 and GTI websites. During this I stumbled on the information on the RNS-E and Bluetooth module. This seems like a great feature, and one that might tip the scales towards the A3.... as the GTI doesn't seem to have such an advanced piece of kit available. Especially if the rumored iPod connection becomes available.
Although I hear stories that it is possible to install the RNS-E and Bluetooth in the Golf GTI? Can anyone confirm that?

Due to time constraints (I want to order the car before my ski trip next week) I haven't got time to look into all the details rgearding the RNS-E and Bluetooth. But I understand the basics of the kit and the install (I'll get A3 with the dual DIN Chorus). What I couldn't get answered is the following:

I understand that with the RNS-E and Bluetooth you have access to your phonebook from the head unit. In my case, my contacts are saved in the phone memory, not the SIM as I have multiple number (eg office, home, mobile) per contact.
*Does the RNS-E/Bluetooth combination read out the phone memory as well or just the SIM memory?
*Does this work as well on my phone (just a basic Nokia 6230i)
*If it work, does the RNS-E diplay the type of number (eg office, home, mobile) or do you just get several numbers and have to guess?

These are probably very simple questions, but in the limited time I have I couldn't find it. I hope you can help me out.

Thanks!

Menno

To answer your questions regards the phone kit, yes it will read the phone memory as well as the SIM, including multiple numbers under a single phonebook entry. It will show an icon to denote the type of number on the RNS-E screen and also allows you to scroll through the phone book on the DIS display (in the instrument cluster).

The range of phones that will work with the kit is limited. Some phones work fully, synchronising not only the phonebook but also your dialled/recent/missed call lists. Other phones will work but won't synchronise the phonebook or call lists and others just won't work at all. Fortunately your 6230i is one of the phones that works fully - I have one myself.

Connectivity is via bluetooth or a cradle, which can be mounted on the dash (yuck) or in the armrest (much better). Audi don't provide cradles for the more modern handsets but there is one for the 6230i. The cradle provides charging and connects the aerial to the sharkfin on the roof for better reception. It also takes over communications from the bluetooth which basically gives better speed of phonebook & call list synchronisation.

The RNS-E and GSM prep is a killer combination and the multi-function steering wheel is a must too, allowing call answering/ending and also voice dialling, which can use pre-recorded tags or voice recognition allowing you to simply read out numbers.

Any more questions, just ask :)

Hello & :sign_welcome: to the site.

Thanks, the RNS-E + Bluetooth looks like a very nice combination indeed, and if you go through the eBay etc route for a reasonable price. And when I hand in the car when the lease end, I take it all out and sell it on eBay.

I really have to start to make a decision on the GTI vs A3...

I'd strongly recommend test driving the cars before you make a decision, if possible, and with the A3, make sure you test the model type you'd buy, i.e. SE/Sport/S-Line, as the suspension differs between them.

You've probably found it already, but if not then pay a visit to this site:

http://www.navplus.us

Everything you ever wanted to know about the RNS-E and Bluetooth systems are there including people such as craigyb who can retrofit the stuff for you.

verschuur said:
Thanks, the RNS-E + Bluetooth looks like a very nice combination indeed, and if you go through the eBay etc route for a reasonable price. And when I hand in the car when the lease end, I take it all out and sell it on eBay.

I really have to start to make a decision on the GTI vs A3...

if you buy the bluetooth module from ebay , the only place it will fit is under the passenger seat which is a pain in the *ss to do. be warned.

verschuur said:
Although I hear stories that it is possible to install the RNS-E and Bluetooth in the Golf GTI? Can anyone confirm that?
It's probably possible as VAG cars share a lot of common parts including interfaces, but it definitely will not go in without a lot of work. Even assuming the interfaces were identical, the fascia itself isn't going to go in the Mk5 Golf dashboard without extensive surgery as they're very different shapes.

The Golf does have the option of the MFD2 sat nav system, and I would assume this could be retrofitted, but I don't know anything about the spec of the unit vs. the RNS-E.

Have a look at http://www.navplus.us for more information on the RNS-E.

Where do you get a list of phones that work with audi bluetooth?
I have a Nokia 6680. Will it work properly? I'm to order bluetooth, if it doesn't work, forget about it.

Thanks

The latest list of phone compatibility is best found in this thread:

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1196

From a report in that thread, your 6680 will work in that it will connect via bluetooth and you can make and receive calls, but it won't synchronise the phonebook or call lists so you'll have to use the handset to make calls or read out the numbers to the voice system.

The system is so good I'd seriously consider changing your handset rather than ditching the option.