Top Gear - last night...

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
Anyone watch Top Gear last night?? I loved the wheels on the TT they had anyone know what they were and how much and if they do um for my a3 (8P)?

lol i was thinking the exact same thing last night but im not sure if it would look good or not!

chop anyone??

I usually love Top Gear,but their test last night was an utter joke.
The TT had £8k of extras,for starters.
It also had the 200bhp 2.0T engine,whereas the Alfa was fitted with the 160bhp 2.0 normally aspirated engine and the Mazda was fitted with the 200+bhp version of it's engine.
Gee,I wonder why the Alfa was 4 seconds a lap slower than the other two,when it was giving away at least 40bhp....
If they're going to do a group track test,they really should at least make sure the cars are fitted with comparible engines !
One car giving away 40bhp (minimum) really is ridiculous.

Still,the Alfa won their collective decision,so....HURRAH !

The Brera is a lovely motor,but I actually prefer the looks of the 'old' GT (still being sold alongside the Brera).
The Brera is better built though.

Yup i watched it! again, wasnt too impressed by their test either.

and yes those wheels on that TT look awesome!

8k of extras is crazy :O

still a gorgeous car and id have the TT over the both of them!

Its such a crap programme now it is un true.

How can driving to Edinburgh then playing 3 holes equate to a car test? They were talking on a CB radio to each other comparing what each car had, whats all that about. They did not show the size of the boot or the size of the back two seats properly either. If someone was thinking of buying one of these cars that test last night would not have helped them one little bit.

A 'car test' should include everything that affects day to day driving such as driving position, layout of controls, steering weight, interior space, build quality, ease of driving in traffic etc etc. Not just a lap round the track to see how fast it is. I don't know about you but I do not drive round a track in my car, so how the hell that is significant I do not know.

Then there was James May driving a Veyron at 250 mph, I cannot afford a Bburago Veyron let alone a real one so what is the point in showing that?

That programme just gets worse every week, they should change its name to 'The Jeremy James and Richard show' because it really has naff all about cars.

Worst thing is every other channel is trying to copy its layout which means they are all ***** now.

Boydie said:
still a gorgeous car and id have the TT over the both of them!

Away,it's a puff's car.

;-)

I don't know a single bloke that owns one,but I know several women.

Even the MD here,who used to be a massive TT fan and has owned several,has jacked them in because he's fed up of people assuming he's driving his wife's car !

Sorry,but that's important to me.
If people are going to dismiss BMW's because of their perceived image,then I would say Audi also have a problem with the TT's image.

john2garden said:

How can driving to Edinburgh then playing 3 holes equate to a car test? They were talking on a CB radio to each other comparing what each car had, whats all that about. They did not show the size of the boot or the size of the back two seats properly either. If someone was thinking of buying one of these cars that test last night would not have helped them one little bit.

A 'car test' should include everything that affects day to day driving such as driving position, layout of controls, steering weight, interior space, build quality, ease of driving in traffic etc etc. Not just a lap round the track to see how fast it is. I don't know about you but I do not drive round a track in my car, so how the hell that is significant I do not know.

Then there was James May driving a Veyron at 250 mph, I cannot afford a Bburago Veyron let alone a real one so what is the point in showing that?

That programme just gets worse every week, they should change its name to 'The Jeremy James and Richard show' because it really has naff all about cars.

Worst thing is every other channel is trying to copy its layout which means they are all ***** now.

You have summed up why Top Gear has survived and prospered where other shows have failed.
Who cares what the boot is like ?
Who cares what the back seats are like ?
That would make it an incredibly dull show.
With regard to the Veyron,the point you've made is exactly why they show that sort of thing.
They know that most people will never afford one,so they do it for you.
They also know (and Clarkson has said this) that anyone can go and test drive your average car at your local dealer,so they don't see the point in testing them.
They want to give people a taste of what it's like to own 'exotica'
Most people also don't take their cars around a track,so they show that for the same reasons.

Sorry,but you've completely missed the point and aim of Top Gear.

Have you tried watching the Audi channel ?
It's probably more suited to your wishes,but it's dull dull dull...

"The Brera is better built though" better built than what? A five year olds airfix?

treblesykes said:
"The Brera is better built though" better built than what? A five year olds airfix?

Better built than the last model?
Does that actually mean much? :rolleyes:

Excellent all round.
John2garden, no one wants someone reading out the spec sheet of the latest models (except you apparently). They want entertainment.
As Bowfer said, it is why it has survived as a programme.
If you want straight reviews then there is more than enough on the web & magazines. Dull, dull, anorack dull.
Dan I suggest you stop watching it if it's so boring.
It's the best thing on TV as far as I'm concerned and certainly the only thing on that makes me laugh out loud these days.

SamDude said:
Better built than the last model?
Does that actually mean much? :rolleyes:

Have you owned one,or are you jumping on the 'Alfa are rubbish' bandwagon ?

My 156 visited the garage less than my A3.
It was as reliable as my A4.
Routine servicing and a recall for modified rear suspension bushes,that's it.

With regard to the 159,which I intend owning next,my mate (who sells them and would tell me if they were crap) tells me the only problem they have had is a recall for a modified battery bolt,as some leads were loosening and causing problems.

Compare that with the excessive coolant and oil use threads you keep seeing on here,maybe ???

AndyMac said:
It's the best thing on TV as far as I'm concerned and certainly the only thing on that makes me laugh out loud these days.

Hear hear.

Those wheels are standard on the 3.2, although I think those on TG has the two-tone option.

I thought TG last night was much much better than the previous weeks.

Top Gear is an entertainment show with a motoring theme! End of!

Thank god it's not like Top Gear used to be with old William Wossisface droning on about the handling of the Allegro cigarette lighter for 5 minutes...

Top Gear is quite simply one of the best shows on TV. Do any of you guys remember it in the old days? Yeah, it was the traditional car show, and at one point they were going to axe it because it wasn't getting the viewers.

Last night whilst watching the programme I was thinking that the people who have transformed Top Gear around deserve alot of praise. Its entertaining for a full hour. The banter that the guys have together aswell is superb.

Thats my 2p. But each to their own.

Veyron though, f### me what a car. What a test track too!! 5 miles of straight!!!!

AL

bowfer said:
Have you owned one,or are you jumping on the 'Alfa are rubbish' bandwagon ?

Jumping on the bandwagon... :blush:

I nearly bought an Alfa 156 6/7 years ago, but went for the Audi A4 instead.

AL_B said:
Veyron though, f### me what a car. What a test track too!! 5 miles of straight!!!!

AL

Agreed,but the trees scared me.
Where I live,trees = deer.
Speeding through the middle of trees is a BIG no no up here !

SamDude said:
Jumping on the bandwagon... :blush:

I nearly bought an Alfa 156 6/7 years ago, but went for the Audi A4 instead.

Ah well,you've still got time to make amends and (hopefully) join the 'Alfa's unreliable ? Are they f***' club.

;-)

I was thinking exactly the same re the deer bowfer!

Probably due to a colleague of mine being killed when he hit one and it came in through the windscreen a couple of years back, and he was only doing about 70.

Had a few close shaves with deer,but (touch wood) never hit one.
Had a close shave with a ****** bull in the road once,some horses and some sheep (not at the same time,otherwise that farmer would have got a slap).
We've had several vans badly damaged by deer though.
Scary.

I like top gear and have no problem with their test methods indeed the quirkyness makes the program.

At the end of the day it's all down to one's own choice.

I've not driven either the Alfa or the Mazda and have no wish too. I have had an extended test drive in the TT and enjoyed myself.

Thats what you've got to do if you want to buy a car simple not listen to 3 highly paid TV pundits!

I thought the first show in this series was a bit slow but yesterday they were back on form.

I work for a 3000 employee IT company in the UK and most have company cars, the 156 was dropped from the company car scheme a few years back due to the unreliability (and that was up against some pretty stiff competition). Never heard of any other car being so unreliable that it deserved dropping.
I think we all know someone with a nightmare car of any make, but the Alfa's faults were major leaving people stranded by the side of the road, one even caught fire. Kind of puts the rattles and excessive coolant usage into perspective on some Audi's. I've run 2 audi's for over 10 years and neither has ever left me stranded.
My mates GTv just simply blew up and required a new engine. It's a reputation well deserved and will take many years of reliability to repair.

AndyMac said:
Dan I suggest you stop watching it if it's so boring.

I'll keep watching it, praying it gets better.............if that's OK ;)

Anyhow, the best show on TV is Grand Designs :)

mark88 said:
Those wheels are standard on the 3.2, although I think those on TG has the two-tone option.

I thought TG last night was much much better than the previous weeks.

You are right the Top Gear test car wheels are the bi-colour ones wheels - my mate has them on his Condor Grey 2.0T TT and look the business - I think they were an £1100 option

john2garden said:

I totally agree, I find Jeremy Clarkson going on a self promoting ego trip with his 2 cronies in tow and a bunch of boring guests dull, dull, dull. Sure the Audi channel is a good cure for insomnia but it ain't as annoying as listening to Jeremy Clarkson trying to be funny and failing.

If a motoring programme doesn't have smart well endowed totty then don't expect me to take it seriosuly. Audi channel... listen up! :)

bowfer said:
Agreed,but the trees scared me.
Where I live,trees = deer.
Speeding through the middle of trees is a BIG no no up here !

Tell me about it!!
I moved into Northumberland in Mid Oct and hit one doing 65mph (me, not the deer!) early Jan near what I thought would be a reasonably safe bit (A68/A69 junctn), a few days before going on hols for Mrs B's 30th.

Car initially didn't look TOO bad - OK, new bumper, both grilles, fog-light trim, slight dent in bonnet. But when the bumper was removed.............

Fortunately (for me), the deer wasn't any bigger and didn't come OVER the bonnet.... or I probably wouldn't be typing this.

"They did not show the size of the boot"
john2garden - you need to watch "does my boot look big in this" it's on channel 5 I think at 3am, - a very comprehensive guide to boot sizes through the ages and very useful for someone buying a new car but can't be ***** to actually go and test drive it themselves.
It's sister programme "Criminally Stupid" is also a must if you just don't have the time to sit in a car before you buy it.

AndyMac said:
"They did not show the size of the boot"
john2garden - you need to watch "does my boot look big in this" it's on channel 5 I think at 3am, - a very comprehensive guide to boot sizes through the ages and very useful for someone buying a new car but can't be ***** to actually go and test drive it themselves.
It's sister programme "Criminally Stupid" is also a must if you just don't have the time to sit in a car before you buy it.

LOL...Brilliant :)

Does anyone bother with 5th gear any more ??
I gave up when they 'raced' a Golf Gti and something else around a racetrack in reverse gear only.
About as funny as watching someone with a puffer jacket board your bus.

bowfer said:
Does anyone bother with 5th gear any more ??
I gave up when they 'raced' a Golf Gti and something else around a racetrack in reverse gear only.
About as funny as watching someone with a puffer jacket board your bus.

I always forget when its on. But when I do remember, Monday nights 8:30-ish, I realise why my subconscious makes me forget its on.

Don't get me wrong though, respect to Jason Plato and Tiff, as when those guys are blatting round a track they are going for it. But Vicky is NOT attractive no matter what 100's of car geeks say. Tim Lovejoy...he's wasted on 5th Gear. He is very witty on Soccer AM, but even his humour skills can not make 5th Gear good.

It's true they have tried to change to be more "Top Gear" like, but its just not working. They just don't have the impact nor the entertaining banter.

But some people like boring car shows, as mentioned by a couple above. :)

AL

5th what?! no its rubbish no were near as good as top gear and I no thats not perfect.

Anyone photoshop'd those alloys on to a a3 yet?????

AL_B said:
But Vicky is NOT attractive no matter what 100's of car geeks say...
Wasn't she in one of those gender swap programmes once ?
In her case, it just meant leaving off a small amount of makeup, and the transformation was complete !

(and yes, 5th Gear is lightyears behind Top Gear for entertainment).

AndyMac said:
Absolutely right. Top Gear is now just about the only reason for owning a TV these days. In a way, it's very little to do with cars and more just about pure entertainment on a Sunday night.

Furthermore, if boot space is important to you, buy What Car? magazine; if you really want to find out how good it is to drive, buy EVO magazine.

Don't you mean go and check out the car for yourself at your dealers if you want to know about boot space?! Come on car programs on the tele are about the drive, not about practicality. For example you didn't see them driving a VAG TDI around the VW test track seeing what the top MPG was at 56mph did you! Mmmmm no!

AndyMac said:
I work for a 3000 employee IT company in the UK and most have company cars, the 156 was dropped from the company car scheme a few years back due to the unreliability (and that was up against some pretty stiff competition). Never heard of any other car being so unreliable that it deserved dropping.
I think we all know someone with a nightmare car of any make, but the Alfa's faults were major leaving people stranded by the side of the road, one even caught fire. Kind of puts the rattles and excessive coolant usage into perspective on some Audi's. I've run 2 audi's for over 10 years and neither has ever left me stranded.
My mates GTv just simply blew up and required a new engine. It's a reputation well deserved and will take many years of reliability to repair.

I've heard this sort of stuff before,yet my own experiences don't bear it out.
My 156 was reliable and the guy who bought it still has it.
Apart from servicing,nowt's gone wrong.
My mate's T plate 156 has never let him down either.

Even if you do think Alfas are unreliable,the evidence suggests Audi are not the example to use as a yardstick for reliability.

Looks at warranty direct's website under 'manufacturers' and you'll see that Audi run Alfa very closely indeed,both suffering more claims than their average score.

Practically identical scores.

Bear in mind that's for the 156,with the 159 being too early to tell yet.
Bearing in mind Alfa have spent a fortune on quality control though,they'd have to really drop the ball to score as badly again.