MP3 playlists with RNS-E

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there have been a few threads about retrofitting RNS-E and I have gone thru them. I'm not asking about the unit, I am pretty certain I want to get the retrofit over a TOMTOM for the following reasons

1) Its built in, looks better, is harder to nick (I hope!)
2) I can play MP3's on it
3) I dont have to remove the radio for security purposes (eg like if I fitted an mp3 headunit)
4) prob add to the value of the car at resale (keeping the car for 4-5yrs tho so not a main reason)

I want to know from RNS-E users, how hard is it to make custom mp3 playlists on the memory card. Is there some stupid audi function that means its hard to make playlists??

Also, can I fit an amp with this unit? I have the bose but reckon an amp and maybe new speakers could make it sound better

Appreciate any advice guys.

Cheers in advance.

cooky

I just drag the folders over, so I have them listed by artist and then each album within that folder.
Nice and simple.

The RNS-E does have line outs so you can fit an amp no problem.

The RNS-E supports industry-standard M3U playlist files, and like Gizze, I create folders which hold the tracks, and then on the root of the card put the M3U file.

I'll let you into a little secret though - I've actually written a Windows application to do all this, and I'm planning to make it available as a free download once it's finished. Will be a few weeks yet :)

Hi, I hate to resurrect such an old thread but can't find the answer anywhere.

I'm using SD cards in my RNS-E, I have playlists and MP3 playing.
But my playlists only show the first 99 tracks, am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the M3U and RNS-E?

Car is 2007 A4 S-Line 2.0 TDI (170) SE.

Cheers

is there a limit on the SD card you can use??? mine will only use 256mb, anything bigger and it just keeps reading and nothing else!!!

I can access all the 288 MP3s on the 2 gig card.
The M3U playlist has all tracks on the PC, but the RNS-E will only read the first 99 tracks.

I know the RNS-E can read M3U files but I just don't bother and don't see the point. The system reads the file structure of the SD card so you can just put MP3 albums into individual folders and they are read as such :shrug:

Yeah I've done that, but how do you do Random play of all the songs on the card?

Last edited:
Aha you can't. If you want to create a playlist of just all tracks then the max is 99. You could have more than one playlist though I guess.

If anyone is interested this the solution I came up with. . . . . . . .you may find bits or all of this useful, you may not . . . . .

What I wanted to be able to do was access Albums / Artists and do a Random play for all songs on an SD card.
I did have all my songs structured under Artists and Albums, then a M3U for all songs, as the M3Us seem limited to 99 songs this didn't really meet my needs . . . so here's the solution I can up with.

There's two bits to this
1. Getting the songs on SD card
2. Creating M3U playlists

1. Getting the songs on the SD Card.

I have all my songs organized in Itunes and didn't want to change this. It also gives me the use of the Smart playlists to limit size of playlists by number of songs or X mb.
I'm sure you can do similar things with other apps or even just copy the songs cards onto the SD card.

So I created playlists in Itunes specifically for the RNS-E. I use smart playlists and limit the size to 1.83mb so they fit on the 2Gb SD Card.
For example I have
"5 Stars - Random" - Random selection of the songs I've rated 5 Stars.
"Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Bowie etc". - Obvious
" New Albums" - Albums I've added recently.

I then use "Itunes Agent" to sync those playlist with specific SD cards in a flat structure. This creates new versions of the MP3 in the root of the SD Card, in the format "Artist - Title. mp3".
Put the card into the RNS-E and you can find all your tunes in root of SD Card and find songs by Artist via the MP3 name or you hit mix!!

2. Creating M3U playlists.

After much digging around I found a couple of APPs call AutoM3U. I only managed to get one to work "AutoM3U V0.5 Beta by J Penneck"
This will then create M3Us for All Artists, All albums and All Songs (don't need this now).

So now I can access all songs on a SD card via the file structure and play Random if I want or I can access a particular artist via playlist.
I'm glad I persevered on this as it great to use the controls of the RNS-E and have the songs on the big screen.

This just what I found was good for me, Itunes agent will let you structure files in various different ways. So if you don't' want to play all your songs in random, you can use this to export Itunes playlist to an SD in a structure of \Artist\album\title. . . . .

If anyone is interested this the solution I came up with. . . . . . . .you may find bits or all of this useful, you may not . . . . .

What I wanted to be able to do was access Albums / Artists and do a Random play for all songs on an SD card.
I did have all my songs structured under Artists and Albums, then a M3U for all songs, as the M3Us seem limited to 99 songs this didn't really meet my needs . . . so here's the solution I can up with.

There's two bits to this
1. Getting the songs on SD card
2. Creating M3U playlists

1. Getting the songs on the SD Card.

I have all my songs organized in Itunes and didn't want to change this. It also gives me the use of the Smart playlists to limit size of playlists by number of songs or X mb.
I'm sure you can do similar things with other apps or even just copy the songs cards onto the SD card.

So I created playlists in Itunes specifically for the RNS-E. I use smart playlists and limit the size to 1.83mb so they fit on the 2Gb SD Card.
For example I have
"5 Stars - Random" - Random selection of the songs I've rated 5 Stars.
"Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Bowie etc". - Obvious
" New Albums" - Albums I've added recently.

I then use "Itunes Agent" to sync those playlist with specific SD cards in a flat structure. This creates new versions of the MP3 in the root of the SD Card, in the format "Artist - Title. mp3".
Put the card into the RNS-E and you can find all your tunes in root of SD Card and find songs by Artist via the MP3 name or you hit mix!!

2. Creating M3U playlists.

After much digging around I found a couple of APPs call AutoM3U. I only managed to get one to work "AutoM3U V0.5 Beta by J Penneck"
This will then create M3Us for All Artists, All albums and All Songs (don't need this now).

So now I can access all songs on a SD card via the file structure and play Random if I want or I can access a particular artist via playlist.
I'm glad I persevered on this as it great to use the controls of the RNS-E and have the songs on the big screen.

This just what I found was good for me, Itunes agent will let you structure files in various different ways. So if you don't' want to play all your songs in random, you can use this to export Itunes playlist to an SD in a structure of \Artist\album\title. . . . .

Are you still limited to 99 tracks in the root folder of the SD card though?

From what I can gather, it's just the M3Us that limited to 99 songs.
All my 300 odds songs are in the root directory in the tests I've done.

I think the limit would be the 400 titles per medium, as per the manual.

I am having all sorts of probs, getting mine to read Song lists, ironic, I am using a Mac, Itunes, and export the play list as an M3U file onto the SD card and it cannot read it, also I seem to have a load of MP3 files names that are duplicates in a list that say bad format, but the list carries on with the same names and songs that work fine.

I use a program called Tag&rename to make playlists and many other adjustments. I have all the playlists on the root with the corresponding directories, total directories 30, playlists 30.
This way the playlists play one after the other, like playing 30 albums in succession.

I have sorted out the problem files ).name)that get copied over, it is a Apple mac trait, and easier to dot_clean them
As for the play list file, it still does not find it, I export the play list from itunes as an M3U file, and then copy the mp3 songs to a sub dir of the same name