Knocking Noise - Help!

Burt25

Reaction score
HI everyone. I traded my 2001 A4 in yesterday for a 2006 Sportback with 4000 miles on the clock and all in all I am very pleased with the car, however when driving home from work this evening with the radio switched off (over an uneven portion of road) I noticed a very pronounced knocking from the rear passenger side. I checked the spare wheel and cleared the boot, but still there.

I noticed a few posts about suspension problems - is this a generic fault with these cars? Is it bushes or the shock itself - sounds very like a noise I had with a Golf when the drop links went. I Didn't expect this on an almose new car!

I think I see my first warranty claim coming on.

I had this aswell i believe its the exhaust as mine is now worse with the milltek on

Burt,

I pretty much could put top money on what the problem is, and I reckon it is such a design fault!

Look in the boot, and at the system that lifts the parcel shelf when you fully open the tail gate. There are two big rubber balls on the end of the cord. When the tailgate is down they are free to swing around. I always hear them battering off the sides when going around corners with the radio off!

Just a thought, but worth a look!!

Terry

Definately not the parcel shelf as I took it out and the noise was still there. I also got under the car and the exhaust seems to be properly supported and not knocking against anything??

Well, I've booked my car in for Friday, to try & get to the bottom of the dreaded rattle. I have read on the forum of a revised rear shock design issued by Audi - does anyone know the part number. There is obviously an issue with the rear shock design based on the number of complaints about rattles and knocks posted on the forum.

My dealer blamed the fuel in the tank! And said that ALL the knocking problems on the suspenssion had been fixed way before my car was ever built. Mmmmm still knocks even when the tank is empty - strange that!

Faulty knock sensor obviously. Muppets.

Burt,

Try and describe the sound. Is it a knock or a rattle?

Hi Rich

I think it could be best described as a clattering noise - it is VERY audible when driving over uneven country roads. Problem is I cant decide for sure now if its coming from the front or back. I think I will insist that a technician goes out in the car with me. The noise is quite 'metallic' sounding - has anyone else experienced this? - I am still veering towards drop link / suspension problem.

Describing noises on a text based medium. Hmm... tricky...

I get something from the back which I think is from the drivers side. It sounds metallic but also I imagine two light bulbs being tapped together. If this is getting all a little Zen then tell me to shut up...

If you can imaging the sound of something like a cricket ball banging around inside a metal bucket - That's the best I can describe it!!

I had a very similar issue with my Ambition (SE) and it was a faulty left rear shock absorber. Dealer never heard that there should be a problem so he looked it up and the was a written waranty letter somewhere in their system that said it should be replaced. Covered at several german sites also. Knocking / clunking noise dissapeared right away. Now I have a new clunking noise due to heavy lowered suspension setup and (problably) worn droplinks at the rear :confused:

Haven't been able to find any upgrades...anyone?

Definitely sounds like faulty rear shocks, which was common on cars around your age.
Dealer should certainly be aware of it.
If it was a very popular thread on here a couple of years ago.

I had this same knocking in my last A3 and took it to the dealer. They had a good poke around and couldn't find anything. So after much investigation, the tech came out and asked me if I could explain it a bit more. Once I had described the general area he said he'd hop in the boot and we'd go for a drive. After a quick 5 minute spin round the block he had worked out what it was. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it may have been the bushes. Whatever it was, it required the removal of the arch liner. The reason I know is that they forgot to put it back in.

If all else fails with the dealer, ask the tech to hop into the boot and go for a quick run on a road where you know the knocking will appear.