Help Me Choose! 8L or 8P

emzino

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I know i've done something like this before but i've come so much closer to purchasing my car now.
I was also thinking about going for a MK5 Golf but the A3 is just too sexy :rock:

Budget
£9000-£10000

Contenders
A3 8P 1.9TDI/2.0TDI (if I can find a low mileage one)

OR

A3 8L 1.9TDI 130 which will probably be top spec at that price with low mileage too

So, which do I go for. Do I continue to save for an 8P or do I go for the 8L. Is there THAT much of a big improvement that makes it worth holding out for the 8P? I definitely want a TDI but has to be low mileage and i'd love for it to have alot of toys which the 8L would probably have at that price but the 8P won't.

Any input is welcome. Many thanks in advance.

I've had 4 8L 1.8T Sports and my current car is an 8P 2.0TDI-140. To me the 8P is a much better car than the 8L. Much more refined. I'd go for an 8P if I was you and go for the 2.0TDI rather than the 1.9TDI. A much better engine all round.

Something to think about, but for that money you could get an 8L A3 TDi quattro :racer: I've never driven an 8P so can't comment on those, but I love my 8L!

depends on what you're looking for! are you bothered about eventual trade in? does it need to be diesel? do yo want quattro? All those things will affect the price you'll have to pay to get a good one.

I had the choice between an 8P 3.2 and an 8L S3. I chose the 8L because it just felt better to drive.

8P was the first A3 I considered.
I always thought the 8L was one of the most boringly styled,non-descript motors on the road,even in S3 trim.
I know the 8P isn't massively different in styling from the 8L,but it's enough to make the difference IMO.

I love my 8L, and it's a great and reliable car. But, everytime I see an 8P on the road, I want one!

When I need to replace my current car, my head says I should get an 8P quattro 2.0 TDI S Line, though I'll see what S3 prices are doing then.

When I purchased my 8L, the 8P was not long out, and prices were too stiff for me then, especially for the quattro which I wanted, but if I was purchasing your spec car today, it would be an 8P no contest.

It looks more modern, and I think they've improved it over the 8L in lots of areas.

Why would you buy an inferior product given the choice?

8P, if only because when buying a car, you should always get the newest car you can afford. Early 03-plate models should be falling into that range around now, or possibly above average-mileage 53s.

get the 8L :icon_thumright: .... cos there's loadsa 8Ps around. :yes:

Always go for the newest model you can afford, mileage is irrelevant. 2 year old with galactic mileage always beats 6 year old with a dubious 30k on the clock.

First off, want to thank everyone for the time in replying.

I've let my mum have a read as well because she'll also be using it. Not as much as me but i'd like for her to know what were getting ourselves into heh.

Were gonna hold out for 2.0TDI 8P :D It means me having to save abit more to get it but i'm sure I can grit my teeth hehe.

Only thing i'm worried about is any problems with the car. Every car has a common problem, what is it with the 2.0TDI?
We'd also be a first time TDI user so wouldn't know how to drive it or maintain it neither. Is it hard?

Thanks again!

emzino said:
Only thing i'm worried about is any problems with the car. Every car has a common problem, what is it with the 2.0TDI?
We'd also be a first time TDI user so wouldn't know how to drive it or maintain it neither. Is it hard?

Thanks again!

Depends on if you get a good one or not !
If you get a good one,there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong mechanically.
Get a bad one and you could be looking at excessive coolant use (cylinder head problems) or excessive oil use,like mine (which no-one can explain but is common to loads of 2.0tdi engines).
Apart from the engine,regular faults that get mentioned on here range from petty 'niggles' (knocking shocks,rattling doors,rattling interiors) to major issues like bonnets that haven't been fitted properly at the factory and cause the wipers to hit them !

If you're buying used,most of the problems should have been sorted though.

Just keep an eye on coolant and oil use,although if you're buying private there really isn't a lot you can do if you've got a coolant/oil burner.

I know my car's oil consumption would really hack me off if I were paying for it,rather than the company.