Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Learning to fly 3D

Status

New Concert / Syphony ID3 Tags

Hi All

I know the new headunits support ID3 Tags on MP3 files but what version?

iTunes 7 default is v2.4, but it can be converted to different versions.

Chris.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I haven't upgraded to the latest version of ITunes yet but the id tags come up on mine when I burn a mp3 cd from it.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    JamS3

Counld you pick a track that the ID3 tags show on your head unit and from iTunes use the "Get Info" option to tell what version of the tags it is using?

My current BMW does not show v2.4 tags, but does earlier versions, and windows explorer only supports upto v2.3

I want to find the highest version I can use for all my MP3's.

Chris.

5th Gear

Status
    to be ready for my new A3 when it comes in march i was doing some testing with this on a SEAT altea with an mp3 cd player - and i cannot get mp3 cds to play - i tried it from itunes and it burnt the disk as mac os format and it wont read - says in manual it has to be ISO966 or whatever and characters for files and folders have to be 8 or less. Is the audi system as fussy? I would have thought that the internal electronics would be similar on all VAG equipment or is this pos not the case?

6th Gear

Status
    Just go into EDIT menu on I-Tunes (on top left menu bar) then select preferences at the bottom.

Go to ADVANCED then onto BURNING tab, select MP3CD as the burn format.

Thats all I had to do to get the ID tags up and running on mine, many of my tags are over 8 characters long but the radio sorts them without me having to do anything.

You may be unaware that the CD is burning to a AAC format even if you manually right click on the song and select convert to mp3! If you follow the procedure above then the CD will be burnt in MP3 format!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Can you "right click" on a track which you know the ID3 Tags show, and select "Get Info" it will tell you the ID3 Tag version?

I have been using MP3 CD's in my BMWs (don't ask) for 2 years, and when I upgraded to iTunes 7 the Tags stopped working in the BMW, they also stopped working in Windows Explorer with new music I ripped. Looking at www.id3.org it looks like iTunes 7 uses v2.4 tags allowing the encoding of album art work, ratings, last played as well as the artist / title stuff. When I converted my tracks to v2.3 the info started to show again in Windows Explore. I don't want to down grade to v1 or 1.1 and lose the album artwork if I don't have to for the Audi Concert II+ 2007, so I am trying to find out before I take delivery in March.

Chris...

6th Gear

Status
    According to my I-Tunes mate they are v2.2

Neutral

Status
    I've got an 04 A3 with a concert headunit. Does this mean if i burn an mp3 cd it will show the track names & artists on the screen? Or do you guy's have a different/newer version concert head unit to mine?

6th Gear

Status
    We have a newer one mate, the 07 cars come with Concert 3 and the newer Symphony radios that support mp3.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for your quick reply, but DAMN!

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    v2.2 is not so bad ;-), much better than v1 or 1.1

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Audi UK CS just called me to tell me v2.3 (and all previous versions) are the current supported ID3 tags, v2.4 is planned at some stage in the future.

The Black Phantom

Status
    So let me get this straight... I've got my Audi A3 Sportback registered in Jan 07. It has the Symphony II (with the cassette deck) and 6CD in the dash. Can that play MP3 CDs? I tried burning a Data CD with Nero with MP3s on it. Is that the wrong way to do it?
    Audi A4 2.0 TDI (140 PS) SE Avant, Parking Sensors, 17" OEM Alloys, Cruise Control, GSM Mobile Prep in Armrest

5th Gear

Status
    No it cant. Only the next generation head units (II+) can play mp3 cds. I'm suprised you have that head unit in your car reistered in jan07. My car was ordered in october 06 and i had it delivered in march07 and mine has symphony II+ (no casette/mp3). I'm sure someone said that there was a certain date in 2006 that all cars built after would get the nex II+ head units - think it was september ish - was before nov price increase anyway. Yours must have been built prior to this to have an older style head unit! Take it it wasn't a build to order job then!!! Mind you when was the 170 engine first available?? Not sure about this.

The Black Phantom

Status
    The chassis number has the 10th digit as '7' so it's definitely a 2007. I've got the car ex-demo and very very low mileage. Where can I find the true date the car was registered? Audi garage said to me Jan 2007. If this is so why then I wonder why they put the Symphony II in. I guess for ex-demo (conspiracy theory) they're shipping out the Symphony II's on ex-demo cars to get rid of them (saving the Symphony II+'s for the new made to order). I wonder if there's anything I can do with Audi to get them to put in the correct spec Symphony II+ in there. Or am I stuffed? It said Symphony II+ on the specs. Could I get them on that?
    Audi A4 2.0 TDI (140 PS) SE Avant, Parking Sensors, 17" OEM Alloys, Cruise Control, GSM Mobile Prep in Armrest

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Hi BennyBOY

The date of registration in not important (apart from the when you warranty start and ends) the date of manufacture determines the spec. The Audi factory will not build special cars for dealer demos, in fact if they did they would always have the latest spec, after all these cars are intended to help the dealers sell more a3's.
    I suspect you A3 in a very late 06 model year that the dealer had not sold, so they decided to put it on their demo / courtesy car fleet, then sell on as 2nd hand later.

I am sure you are aware of all the 2007 changes, for me the most important was the ability to play MP3 CD's since it negates the need for a CD changer and means my CD collection can stay in the house undamaged.

Chris.

The change from Concert/Symphony II to II plus happened around November 2006. So some 2007 model year cars have the II and some the II plus. I know when I ordered my new Sportback in December 06 the dealer had a new A3 in the showroom that still had a Concert II fitted.

If you do want to check the date of first registration you can enter the registration number into the following section of the DVLA website and it will give you the details.

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

The Black Phantom

Status
    Dave R and Chris, Thanks for your v helpful replies . Chris you made a damn good point about not needing the CD Changer if MP3 Play is possible. Someone on the forum actually has a Symphony II+ for sale and I'm thinking (and hoping if they can help fitting it) of buying it. Am a newbie so am not sure if this is possible. Also can you think of, or heard of any problems (Symphony II vs Symphony II+) ?

Changing from a Symphony II to a Symphony II+ should be reasonable straight forward as they are both double-DIN units (physical size). The problem may be that the connectors are different. Audi tend to use large block connectors with all the wires in a few connectors.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Here are some pages from the Audi Workshop Manual showing the connections for the Symphony and Symphony II+ units. As you will see the connections are quite different. Perhaps someone does a conversion lead from one to the other.

Symphony connections

Symphony II+ connections
    Dave R (h5djr)

The Black Phantom

Status
    Just heard. There is something called a "Quadlock connector adaptor" which I can possibly get from eBay (or elsewhere). Is the 6CD in-dash changer a separate item which can still be re-used (it's not in the glove box or boot in mine) or will I have to trash it if a Symphony II+ is inserted?

The Symphony II+ or III (same thing) has a 6-cd changer built-in to the main unit that is fitted in the dash. There are no other 'bits' involved. I've taken mine out my Sportback to get at some of the wiring behind to provide a live feed for my PDA cradle. All I used was 4 of the normal 'radio removal' keys. Once out the connectors are very easy to get at, but are not the same as the earlier Symphony.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB0Y
    Dave R and Chris, Thanks for your v helpful replies . Chris you made a damn good point about not needing the CD Changer if MP3 Play is possible. Someone on the forum actually has a Symphony II+ for sale and I'm thinking (and hoping if they can help fitting it) of buying it. Am a newbie so am not sure if this is possible. Also can you think of, or heard of any problems (Symphony II vs Symphony II+) ?
    There are a few issues.

! you will need to convert from single DIN to double DIN, this has been done by people who have retro fitted the Sat Nav, which involves moving the switches from above the head unit to below.

The second and potentially bigger problem is the change to the wiring / electronics in the 2007 car. There has been changes and I am not sure if these will impact the change from II to II+. I suspect you will either have to try it, or find someone who has, to be 100% sure.

Hope you get it sorted.

Chris,

you will need to convert from single DIN to double DIN
    If you already have a Symphony II, then this is already a double-DIN unit.

The wiring will be the main problem as the connectors are not the same for the Symphony II and the II+
    Dave R (h5djr)

The Black Phantom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    If you already have a Symphony II, then this is already a double-DIN unit.

The wiring will be the main problem as the connectors are not the same for the Symphony II and the II+
    Cheers all of you for the advice. Much appreciated.
    The other person on another forum here (who's selling a Symphony II+) may give me a hand inserting the Symphony II+.