Folding Mirrors Standard On New S3?

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Are electrically folding mirrors standard on the new s3. The brochure states they are standard.

DM

Got my delivery date for 12th July at rerquest.

S3 On The Way

Which brochure exactly? Latest downloaded PDF price list I have doesn't.

I'm pretty sure they aren't, as they cost me as an option, however, the online configurator has changed the options recently.... BOSE appeared to disappear for example!!!

Are you seeing
"Electrically operated and heated door mirrors (Standard)"
This just means you can adjust them, not fold them elctronically too.... that's a £120 option.

davidmann said:
Are electrically folding mirrors standard on the new s3. The brochure states they are standard.

DM

Got my delivery date for 12th July at rerquest.

S3 On The Way

Oh dear, its not true, alas, I asked after spotting this a month ago. Boo Hoo sniff, :crying: you have to pay for the privilege of folding mirrors which is why they are an option on the online configurator…

S3 on the way too, :hubbahubba: two months to go!!!! YES!

jamiekip said:
I'm pretty sure they aren't, as they cost me as an option, however, the online configurator has changed the options recently.... BOSE appeared to disappear for example!!!

Yes the configurator is a bit odd, it wanted me to have a £25 first aid kit when I chose bucket seats...

I did wonder if that was anything to the state my back will be in after I have had a trip in them? :sm4:

Nice list of options BTW, did think about having piano black inserts myself but after a test drive I got back into my current S3 and though naaa, I thought that a bit of aluminum, black leather and black headlining and with piano black inserts might make the interior, well, very black! So I went with the aluminum as a contrast.
I wanted silver leather as an option, too as it is fantastic on the old S3's but for some reason its not available as an option on the S3 (unless you do an £1500+ Audi exclusive leather trim), even when it is available on the S4 & S6...

Thanks Steve - they messed around with the config last week (someone in tyresmoke.net noticed) so some strange things going on!

Thanks for the compliment on the motor.... 4 weeks on Thursday :)

I see you've just about managed to tick all the options, going to be a hell of a motor. I've heard in another thread that the bucket seats are more comfortable than you may think.... might not need the first aid kit after all!!! They do look the muts nuts though!

Enjoy!!

I think the BOSE disappeared for a time due to price increase. The brochure and config were both showing £355 but the option is now £440.

Steve

all the audi pricing went up late last year/early this year

It was about 10th Nov last year, some things went up, some went down, some just changed. If I'd ordered my car after that date I'd have ended up paying an extra £500 for the same spec but would have got full leather instead of half, which I didn't want anyway :)

stevec said:
did think about having piano black inserts myself but after a test drive I got back into my current S3 and though naaa, I thought that a bit of aluminum, black leather and black headlining and with piano black inserts might make the interior, well, very black!

It's not as bad as you might think Steve. Trust me!! :)

Dandle reported that the piano black inlays mark really easily and don't look so good after a while. That said, I'm not sure how easily the brushed aluminium ones mark and I ain't about to test them :)

I had the piano black inlays on my 8L S3. Had the car for almost 5 and a half years and cant say I managed to mark them. So far so good on this one too, but like you say, I'm not about to test them either.......

The ones i have have marked when they have been cleaned by the valeting guys. They are only very fine scratches but you can see them if you look especially when light hits them.

It's probably swirlmarks in the top laquer coat which shows up on black just as it does on black paintwork if you don't wash it very carefully.

Vertigo1 said:
It's probably swirlmarks in the top laquer coat which shows up on black just as it does on black paintwork if you don't wash it very carefully.

It is that kind of effect so it may well polish out. The thing is that I shouldnt have to, they should have given them a harder top coat.

Yep, the piano black.

Saw the alu in pics and didn't like it at all, prefer the piano black as its more subtle and looks classier in my opinion.

JamS3 said:
Yep, the piano black.

Saw the alu in pics and didn't like it at all, prefer the piano black as its more subtle and looks classier in my opinion.

Agreed!!!

JohnS3 said:
It's not as bad as you might think Steve. Trust me!! :)

Do you have a full black interior and headlining, or do you have one of the two tone interiors?

The test car I drove was a Sprint Blue with two tone leather interior (with white inserts on the standard seats), white headlining and aluminum inserts.

I have ordered a Sprint Blue with full black nappa and bucket seats and black headlining. I thought that the black piano would be just too black and I would need some contrast.

My current S3 is a Dolphin Grey and Blue black alcantara with black headlining and in there the piano looks great as the blue is the contrasting colour...

Going back to the original heading about folding mirrors, I have just been given a copy of the status screen for my new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE Sportback which tells me it's 'On Ship' between Germany and Grimsby.

The interesting item is that I have ordered auto-dimming door mirrors, but the the options on this page list - Door mirros, auto-dimming and folding. I'm just wondering if Audi have decided to include both, although they are listed as individual items in the options price list. Either that, or someone has made a mistake in the ordering. Not bothered either way, as long as they don't ask me to pay the extra for the folding element.

Be good if they've given it to you for free, the dimming mirrors are fabulous!

I agree. I have them on my existing A3 and they work very well which is why I ordered them on the new one. But we will have to see if they are folding as well, which I didn't order.

Ah sorry, misread it as having ordered folding but not dimming.

The folding is quite nice when parking on the street, although I have the weird issue many have reported where the driver's side mirror is much slower than the passenger's. Gawd only knows why this is.

Vertigo1 said:
Be good if they've given it to you for free, the dimming mirrors are fabulous!

can you overide the auto dimming in the 8P? I'm not too keen of the auto-dimming rearview in my current 8L as when it was dipped once before, i had a police car behind me and i didn't even know....

having the wingmirrors auto-dim too seems like a nightmare to me, as most of the bicycles in the city dont even have lights...

Yes, there is a switch on the interior mirror that switched on or off the auto-dimming function. I've never tried it but it probably switches off the door mirrors as well.

Vertigo1 said:
The folding is quite nice when parking on the street, although I have the weird issue many have reported where the driver's side mirror is much slower than the passenger's. Gawd only knows why this is.

Mine too.

The switch on the rear view mirror does indeed turn the wing mirror dimming off too.

TBH I find the mirrors superb. They don't tend to dim much in urban driving so your vision is never really impaired. They only seem to dim fully on motorways when there are a lot of cars behind you and in this situation they're simply superb, removing that annoying glare you get in the corner of your eyes.