AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Sepang Blue S3

Status

Folding Mirrors Standard On New S3?

Are electrically folding mirrors standard on the new s3. The brochure states they are standard.

DM

Got my delivery date for 12th July at rerquest.

S3 On The Way
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Which brochure exactly? Latest downloaded PDF price list I have doesn't.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

jamiekip
    I'm pretty sure they aren't, as they cost me as an option, however, the online configurator has changed the options recently.... BOSE appeared to disappear for example!!!

jamiekip
    Are you seeing
    "Electrically operated and heated door mirrors (Standard)"
    This just means you can adjust them, not fold them elctronically too.... that's a 120 option.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmann
    Are electrically folding mirrors standard on the new s3. The brochure states they are standard.

DM

Got my delivery date for 12th July at rerquest.

S3 On The Way
    Oh dear, its not true, alas, I asked after spotting this a month ago. Boo Hoo sniff, you have to pay for the privilege of folding mirrors which is why they are an option on the online configurator

S3 on the way too, two months to go!!!! YES!
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats
    00-01 A3 1.8TQ Sport Red, Bose

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip
    I'm pretty sure they aren't, as they cost me as an option, however, the online configurator has changed the options recently.... BOSE appeared to disappear for example!!!
    Yes the configurator is a bit odd, it wanted me to have a 25 first aid kit when I chose bucket seats...

I did wonder if that was anything to the state my back will be in after I have had a trip in them?

Nice list of options BTW, did think about having piano black inserts myself but after a test drive I got back into my current S3 and though naaa, I thought that a bit of aluminum, black leather and black headlining and with piano black inserts might make the interior, well, very black! So I went with the aluminum as a contrast.
    I wanted silver leather as an option, too as it is fantastic on the old S3's but for some reason its not available as an option on the S3 (unless you do an 1500+ Audi exclusive leather trim), even when it is available on the S4 & S6...
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats

jamiekip
    Thanks Steve - they messed around with the config last week (someone in tyresmoke.net noticed) so some strange things going on!

Thanks for the compliment on the motor.... 4 weeks on Thursday

I see you've just about managed to tick all the options, going to be a hell of a motor. I've heard in another thread that the bucket seats are more comfortable than you may think.... might not need the first aid kit after all!!! They do look the muts nuts though!

Enjoy!!

1st Gear

Status
    I think the BOSE disappeared for a time due to price increase. The brochure and config were both showing 355 but the option is now 440.

Steve
    A4 B8 2.0TDi S Line Multitronic

5th Gear

Status
    all the audi pricing went up late last year/early this year

6th Gear

Status
    It was about 10th Nov last year, some things went up, some went down, some just changed. If I'd ordered my car after that date I'd have ended up paying an extra £500 for the same spec but would have got full leather instead of half, which I didn't want anyway
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    did think about having piano black inserts myself but after a test drive I got back into my current S3 and though naaa, I thought that a bit of aluminum, black leather and black headlining and with piano black inserts might make the interior, well, very black!
    It's not as bad as you might think Steve. Trust me!!

6th Gear

Status
    Dandle reported that the piano black inlays mark really easily and don't look so good after a while. That said, I'm not sure how easily the brushed aluminium ones mark and I ain't about to test them

6th Gear

Status
    I had the piano black inlays on my 8L S3. Had the car for almost 5 and a half years and cant say I managed to mark them. So far so good on this one too, but like you say, I'm not about to test them either.......

6th Gear

Status
    Confirm the new ones mark very easily....
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

jamiekip
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    Confirm the new ones mark very easily....
    Is that the piano black?

4th Gear

Status
    The ones i have have marked when they have been cleaned by the valeting guys. They are only very fine scratches but you can see them if you look especially when light hits them.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

6th Gear

Status
    It's probably swirlmarks in the top laquer coat which shows up on black just as it does on black paintwork if you don't wash it very carefully.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    It's probably swirlmarks in the top laquer coat which shows up on black just as it does on black paintwork if you don't wash it very carefully.
    It is that kind of effect so it may well polish out. The thing is that I shouldnt have to, they should have given them a harder top coat.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, the piano black.

Saw the alu in pics and didn't like it at all, prefer the piano black as its more subtle and looks classier in my opinion.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Status
    Piano black does mark quite easily but a bit of meg's plastx gets rid of them just as easily...

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

jamiekip
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    Yep, the piano black.

Saw the alu in pics and didn't like it at all, prefer the piano black as its more subtle and looks classier in my opinion.
    Agreed!!!

1st Gear

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    It's not as bad as you might think Steve. Trust me!!
    Do you have a full black interior and headlining, or do you have one of the two tone interiors?

The test car I drove was a Sprint Blue with two tone leather interior (with white inserts on the standard seats), white headlining and aluminum inserts.

I have ordered a Sprint Blue with full black nappa and bucket seats and black headlining. I thought that the black piano would be just too black and I would need some contrast.

My current S3 is a Dolphin Grey and Blue black alcantara with black headlining and in there the piano looks great as the blue is the contrasting colour...

Going back to the original heading about folding mirrors, I have just been given a copy of the status screen for my new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE Sportback which tells me it's 'On Ship' between Germany and Grimsby.

The interesting item is that I have ordered auto-dimming door mirrors, but the the options on this page list - Door mirros, auto-dimming and folding. I'm just wondering if Audi have decided to include both, although they are listed as individual items in the options price list. Either that, or someone has made a mistake in the ordering. Not bothered either way, as long as they don't ask me to pay the extra for the folding element.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Be good if they've given it to you for free, the dimming mirrors are fabulous!

I agree. I have them on my existing A3 and they work very well which is why I ordered them on the new one. But we will have to see if they are folding as well, which I didn't order.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Ah sorry, misread it as having ordered folding but not dimming.

The folding is quite nice when parking on the street, although I have the weird issue many have reported where the driver's side mirror is much slower than the passenger's. Gawd only knows why this is.

6th Gear

Status
    Be good if they've given it to you for free, the dimming mirrors are fabulous!
    can you overide the auto dimming in the 8P? I'm not too keen of the auto-dimming rearview in my current 8L as when it was dipped once before, i had a police car behind me and i didn't even know....

having the wingmirrors auto-dim too seems like a nightmare to me, as most of the bicycles in the city dont even have lights...
    Last edited by madvw; 2nd February 2007 at 13:18.

Yes, there is a switch on the interior mirror that switched on or off the auto-dimming function. I've never tried it but it probably switches off the door mirrors as well.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    The folding is quite nice when parking on the street, although I have the weird issue many have reported where the driver's side mirror is much slower than the passenger's. Gawd only knows why this is.
    Mine too.

6th Gear

Status
    The switch on the rear view mirror does indeed turn the wing mirror dimming off too.

TBH I find the mirrors superb. They don't tend to dim much in urban driving so your vision is never really impaired. They only seem to dim fully on motorways when there are a lot of cars behind you and in this situation they're simply superb, removing that annoying glare you get in the corner of your eyes.