EM TuningVolks Autos
    jamiekip

First bump in a new S3...

Thankfully not mine.....
    http://www.kodakgallery.de/Slideshow...localeid=de_DE

Respect to Tourist who posted this in another thread.... I thought it was worthy of a new one....

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Oh dear......................

I think I would have cried!

57 Plate Imola Yellow S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Here a few more from the damage.

http://www.kodakgallery.de/Slideshow...localeid=de_DE

As u can imagine the owner is close to tears in the german forum. Car is just 4 weeks old. Said he was turning in to the street on snow and the rear end kicked out. Foolish he stepped hard on the brakes leaving him with little to no control. NOT the thing to do on snow.
    Last edited by Tourist; 28th January 2007 at 15:34.

Jos
    Neutral

Status
    OMFG! If it was me, I wouldn't be close to tears, but IN tears.
    My respects to the owner... Maybe there's only minor damage to the engine and drivetrain. Driving in the snow must be terrible, I haven't tried that surface just yet, but with quattro should be more safe...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourist
    Said he was turning in to the street on snow and the rear end kicked out.
    Complete rubbish IMHO. That's far too much damage for a minor shunt whilst pulling into a road, something doesn't add up there.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    Complete rubbish IMHO. That's far too much damage for a minor shunt whilst pulling into a road, something doesn't add up there.
    My first thoughts too when I saw that. Modern cars are supposed to absorb minor damage, but the van the S3 has hit has very minor damage compared to the front of the S3. Still a real shame though.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

3rd Gear

Status
    Wonder if he had winter tyres on? Its hard to tell from the pictures.

1st Gear

Status
    I don`t think they are winter tyres, most Germans run winter tyres on steel rims or cheap aftermarket alloys.
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    the van the S3 has hit has very minor damage compared to the front of the S3.
    My works van got rear ended when stationary by a car travelling at just under 30mph and the van was shortened by nearly 2ft as a result. The road junction outside of my office has at leat 1 accident a month and I see alot of shnts as a result.
    Looks like the S3 wasn't travelling that quick at point of impact but braked hard, which caused the nose to go under the van causing the extensive damaged to the soft parts in the photos.

I'd be unconsolable if it were my S3!!

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Looks minor to me, the chassis legs look ok. Remeber the air bags will go if the impact is harder than 18 mph into a solid object (aprox) and they have not gone.

Chris.

1st Gear

Status
    Problem is he's missed the bumper beam therefore all the energy has been absorbed by plastic grill and bonnet. It would have been quite a soft impact but clearly very messy. Bumper to bumper the van probably would have faired worse.

Helichris I'm impressed about your knowledge of airbag firing speeds.
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Never needed one (touch wood), but I have been behind a car which had a head on ;-) The thing I remember most is the amount of smoke it generated, it looked like the car was on fire.

Also working in the car industry for a short time, but that was before the days of variable firing rates.

The air bag will deploy only when needed, and therefore it is possible to have a faster accident, hitting a softer object and not have it fire. You can also be hit from behind very hard with no deploy (don't ask how I know that).

Chris.

5th Gear

Status
    prick. too much speed. too little driving skill.

6th Gear

Status
    Basically the airbag will only fire if you're going so fast that your head would otherwise impact the steering wheel. With seatbelt pretensioners you have to be going at some speed these days for there to be any danger of this happening. 18mph actually seems rather low to me, I thought it was more like 30.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Don't test this, but hitting a solid object like a concrete block then its as low as 18mph, hitting another car would raise it to 30 I suppose because the other car will also absorbs some of the impact.

But i totally agree it's triggered buy the amount of deceleration force which would require your head to hit the wheel.

Lets hope all of us never need them anyway.

Chris.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    Just quoting what the driver of the S3 posted.

6th Gear

Status
    Oh yeah I'm not claiming you're talking rubbish, rather that the driver was

Reverse Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    I used to work as a crash engineer designing the safety performance of passenger cars. The lowest firing speed on unbelted occupants (americans) is around 12mph for 5th percentile, for belted around 20mph. This is for rigid barrier or poles. For deformable objects the speeds are 15-20mph (unbelted) and 30mph (belted) respectively. The most common reason to fire the airbag is to prevent neck injuries, rather than the head impact itself. Cars are not required to pass tests above 40mph, so all systems will be active above this speed.

As for damage, up to 5mph should be virtually invisible. 30mph would be virtually written off. I'd estimate this to be less 20mph.
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

va va voom

Status
    ouch!!!!
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

Status
    Surely hitting the brakes wouldn't have had any effect with ABS (or whatever it's called these days)?

Reverse Gear

Status
    bummer
    mmmmm beeer. http://www.pbase.com/ajbroch & http://g9ajt.bebo.com

2007 S3 - Phantom Black -

4th Gear

Status
    Shanked! Very thoughtful of the owner to post the photos on Kodak's online gallery. I've just ordered myself some nice A1 poster prints of the mayhem
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

1st Gear

Status
    Wonder if German insurance companies have "new for old" on cars under 1 year old like my policy?
    I know I wouldnt want to keep a car that had been in a shunt like that.
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant
    Wonder if German insurance companies have "new for old" on cars under 1 year old like my policy?
    Depending on your insurance company you can have "new for old" but only if the car is a economic write/off or if it stolen for good.
    Last edited by Tourist; 29th January 2007 at 12:43.

Top Gear

Status
    I think I would have died - or just run off crying!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant
    Old for New tends to kick in at 60% of purchase price to repair, and thats now where near bad enough for that.

looks at the chassis legs, no problems there, so is just a bolt on / off job, which is made cheap to repair by the manufactures to make car insurance cheaper.

Chris.

Status
    Thats not a major bump. Feel sorry for the guy though :-(

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    looks like a simple repair
    A3-SLINE 2.0 TDI DSG , phantom black,full leather, cruise control, heated seats, RNS-E audi navigation, bose, auto dipping wing mirrors, interior light pack, auto rain sensors and dipping mirror.