AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Glove Box Damper

My glove box used to be damped when you opened it, but now its not. The same thing happened on my A4 but as that was a company car I got a dealer to fix it.

This is mine. So does anyone know how to repair it? Will it be broken or has something come adrift?

I have read benw123's article on how to remove the glove box, but I was hoping I would know what to look for when I get in there. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks DK

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had this problem although the first I knew of it was when the car went for a service and the dealer said " we will need to book you in again to replace the glove box as the damper is in-operative" - all replaced under warranty

They replaced the whole glove box although probably more than what was required because it was a warranty job.

If your car is still under warranty I would go to th dealer - it should not break in my opinion.

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, same here on my old S4.. Damper went nearly solid. Changed under warranty.
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys. It is under warranty until April, so i'll take it back.

I wanted to know for when the warranty runs out, as it has happened to all 3 of my Audis so it must be a regular fault, or I'm clumsy. So if anyone has any knowledge that'll be great.

Thanks

Neutral

Status
    Same happened to mine, got it replaced under warranty too

Status
    It's just a little plastic tube clipped to the nearside hinge, spray some silicon spray on it and work it back and forth, works a treat.
    Don't do what my wife did and force it open and break off the hinge!!!

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    when the glove box opens there is a very small gas strut type mechanism that has a plastic pin through one end that connects the glove box door to the dampener, the plastic pin has a tendency to break and so when you open the glove box the door is not supported by the dampener and falls open.

all you need to do is open the passenger side door fully and prize off the end panel off using your car key in the cut outs on the edge of the panel and then pull the dampener/gas strut out from its housing and fix it back onto the glove box door using a pice of solder or any other bendable bit of metal you have to hand, bish bosh, bobs your uncle!!!
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

Status
    Mine broke as well, replaced under warrenty!

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    At a high risk of sounding thick, how/what exactly is damped?
    When I open my glovebox, it kind of 'drops' a little and stays there waiting for me to open it.
    Is that right or is it broke?

6th Gear

Status
    That's the damper in action. They tend to be quite stiff and if it's not very warm in the car then the glovebox lid doesn't have enough weight to overcome the damping and you have to push it open - just do it gently or you'll break it.

On freezing cold mornings it's almost impossible to open the damn thing!
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors