Glove Box Damper

dkelly

Reaction score
My glove box used to be damped when you opened it, but now its not. The same thing happened on my A4 but as that was a company car I got a dealer to fix it.

This is mine. So does anyone know how to repair it? Will it be broken or has something come adrift?

I have read benw123's article on how to remove the glove box, but I was hoping I would know what to look for when I get in there. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks DK

I had this problem although the first I knew of it was when the car went for a service and the dealer said " we will need to book you in again to replace the glove box as the damper is in-operative" - all replaced under warranty

They replaced the whole glove box although probably more than what was required because it was a warranty job.

If your car is still under warranty I would go to th dealer - it should not break in my opinion.

Thanks guys. It is under warranty until April, so i'll take it back.

I wanted to know for when the warranty runs out, as it has happened to all 3 of my Audis so it must be a regular fault, or I'm clumsy. So if anyone has any knowledge that'll be great.

Thanks

It's just a little plastic tube clipped to the nearside hinge, spray some silicon spray on it and work it back and forth, works a treat.
Don't do what my wife did and force it open and break off the hinge!!!

when the glove box opens there is a very small gas strut type mechanism that has a plastic pin through one end that connects the glove box door to the dampener, the plastic pin has a tendency to break and so when you open the glove box the door is not supported by the dampener and falls open.

all you need to do is open the passenger side door fully and prize off the end panel off using your car key in the cut outs on the edge of the panel and then pull the dampener/gas strut out from its housing and fix it back onto the glove box door using a pice of solder or any other bendable bit of metal you have to hand, bish bosh, bobs your uncle!!!

At a high risk of sounding thick, how/what exactly is damped?
When I open my glovebox, it kind of 'drops' a little and stays there waiting for me to open it.
Is that right or is it broke?

That's the damper in action. They tend to be quite stiff and if it's not very warm in the car then the glovebox lid doesn't have enough weight to overcome the damping and you have to push it open - just do it gently or you'll break it.

On freezing cold mornings it's almost impossible to open the damn thing!