LED Interior Light Kit .....

cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
Hi all

Has anybody bought or fitted this kit to there A3 ???
It is from Audi Accessories.co.uk

Audi A3/A4 Interior light LED
yuk_015.jpg

Product Information
Upper Roof LED from the Interior Light Package for the Audi A3 and Audi A4. Extremely easy retrofit; just plugs into existing spade connectors on the main light unit.

Product Code: A4919063A

Yep... Fitted one on my car last weekend. If you got to harddrive.plus.com and work your way though the site, there's a ambient lights install guide.

Chris

Took about 15 mins. Just pull off the light lense, then the plastic cover, after that there's two screws and the whole unit just pops out.

When it came to drilling the hole, you've just got to be careful!

Chris

I've fitted them to my A4 and they are as simple as it gets really. If the A3 is like the A4, the place you need to drill is already moulded on the back of the panel (take it off and have a look). I agree about being careful with the drill though, I started off with a very small bit and got bigger.

One question to anyone who has fit them or has them standard, how big are the holes??? Sounds stupid I know but just curious whether I need to go slightly bigger.

Can you fit a whole new over head panel with map lights save drilling the holes for the lights.

Its only the outer trim you'd need to replace, not all the lights. The lights just need to be removed to connect the wires (on the A4 anyway).

mikep said:
I replaced the whole light assembly for one with the ambient lights and map reading lights as well cost about £60 took 10 mins to fit.

Hi, were did you get the whole light assembly from ??? Audi ?

Cheers
Clive

I ordered the LED's from my dealer this morning, quoted £10.16 (bit of a random number?) Should be in wednesday.

Ive just done this today, The only thing i done which might be a little extra thing which others might want to think about is, when i drilled the holes for the led's to shine through it is white inside the black trim so i filled in the white bits with black marker pen.

Just to let everyone know (and thanks to mikep) I went the whole hog and got the full unit from Audi. Drilling is not my strong point and I figured that if I got the map lights too then why not?

mikep has already posted the part number for his but for an A3 S-Line with the black plastic (Soul?) and airbag deactivation in the glove box the number is 8E0947135D6PS. £66-62 inc VAT from the stealers but I notice Nelson is doing it a shade cheaper on audi-accessories.co.uk

Looks pretty good too :)

what are these little LED's for?

on the audi accessories site do the holes come already drilled if you buy the whole unit including reading lights?

anyone have a step by step fitting guide with pictures?

thanks

I don't think they're 'for' anything. There's some guff about a study being carried out by the School Of Idon'tknowwhat and something to do with the driver being less distracted but basically they just look nice :) A red glow around the gear lever.

Yes the holes are pre-drilled. It's a complete unit. See this thread too.

I'm a bit disappointed. Just fitted these this evening (took less than 10 mins including the drilling) but the lights are so weak I can barely tell the difference whether I cover them up or not!
Is this just me?

Hmmm.

I was going to simply write a sarcastic reply but then I thought: Well I suppose it was only about 5 o'clock, so just to be sure I really will go out and check.

However, I'm afraid it's the same. I honestly can't see any effect.

I'm surprised. If you just did the drilling mod then for a tenner you get a nice red glow around the gear lever. I thought it was quite cool tbh.

The way it has been described it does sound good, but it's not working for me. I wonder if I've somehow got a duff LED unit that isn't bright enough or something.

Have you got the dash dimmer switch on low? The Interior Light LED works off the adjustable Dashboard Resistor ;)

Alternatively. You may not have drilled the holes big enough. You need to be using at least a 7-8 mil drill bit IIRC ;)

Aha! That was it- I've just been out and checked. I do have the dash dimmer very low, and the LEDs are fine when it's turned up. Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I usually have the dash dimmer low in most cars though, as I find the bright dials distracting at night.

Does anyone know if I can get the LEDs at max brightness regardless of the dash dimmer settings?

Skittler said:
Aha! That was it- I've just been out and checked. I do have the dash dimmer very low, and the LEDs are fine when it's turned up.

Ha! I didn't even think of that!

i know it will be hard to catch but anyone have a pic of how the lights look at night in the car?

I was thinking of doing just that, but obviously I can't use flash so it'll all be a bit dim.
I may have a go on "night mode" on the camera and see what happens.

be great if you could, trying to decide whether to bother and if so whether map lights are worth having besides for looks..