Changing bulbs

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Err, how on earth do you change headlight bulbs? The instructions in the manual are clear enough but, once I've removed the outer cover at the back of the unit, the inner mount which holds the bulb is so far inside I can't even see it. Are you supposed to do this by touch? My concern is that I'd be able to get it out by feel alone but then wouldn't be able to get it back in and would end up stuck.

You do have to do it by feel and by looking through the headlight as you do it.
It's actually easy enough,honest.
Just make sure the bulbs click into place correctly,as any slight misalignment ends up with you dazzling people.

I have Xenons so may be different but when I changed the main beam I had to do a lot of groping! Hands got real scratched!

I've changed all 4 bulbs on my A3 without too much trouble. As Bowfer says you have to do it mostly by feel. I found it much easier if I left the wiring connected attached to the bulb, un-clipped the bulb from the housing and took the whole thing, bulb and connector, out of the light unit. Then take out the old bulb, still holding the connector and put the new bulb into the connector and then replace it into the headlight at the same angle etc. Once I'd twigged this, it was much easier than taking the connector off first.

Oh yeah,I forget to mention that.
As David says,far easier to leave the wiring and connector on the bulb as you remove/replace.

Err, unless I'm missing something, the manual says to do it that way?

I know. I tried the first time as the manual suggests and it's very fiddly and difficult. Leave the connector attached to the bulb and you will find it a whole lot easier. Trust me, I'm a bulb changer!